Forums Latest Members

Are all 20mm omega watch bands interchangeable?

1. Drb477 Feb 23, 2020

So this may be a dumb question, but I am a little confused about changing my watch bands.

I have 4 Omegas currently, all were bought new via greys
    42mm PO on rubber
    41.5mm aqua terra 15000 gauss on bracelet
    42mm speedmaster 1957 broad arrow on bracelet
    43.5 PO GMT on rubber (blue goodplanet)

The current bands are my favorite iteration of all the watches I own (which is why I bought them that way) but I'd like to mix it up at times especially if its fairly easy to do. The first 3 all have 20mm lugs, the last one is 41mm. Should all the 20mm be able to use the same bracelets/straps or is there more too it than that? Mainly I wanted to get one leather strap for both the AT and Broad Arrow, will that work? Could I also put the AT or broad arrow bracelet on the PO? Assuming I buy a spring bar tool, is it pretty easy to do? Certainly the youtube videos make it look easy enough...

Thanks!

2. Dan S Feb 23, 2020

Bracelets often have endlinks that are watch-specific. No guarantees, you would have to try.

Straps are generally interchangeable unless they have something very specific at the end to fit between the lugs of a particular watch, which is unusual. I don’t know the watches you are talking about but if you post photos of them with leather straps it should be obvious.

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 23, 2020

Not all are swappable. If you want to try swapping yours, try it. You too can learn the thrill of launching a springbar across the room into the next dimension.

4. Drb477 Feb 23, 2020

Suppose its would be easy enough to attempt to swap the ones I already own, but I'm not looking to buy new stuff unless they fit. Seems like leather should be pretty safe. Do people generally reuse existing spring bars or should be buying new ones?

5. Dan S Feb 23, 2020

It depends on the condition of the spring bars. If they are a year or two old and in great shape, you can probably get away with reusing them. Watchmakers always replace them.

Pun likes this.
  6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 23, 2020

And I always launch one into the Outer Limits if I don't have a spare. It's good to have a few spare...

7. RARJ Feb 24, 2020

Within reason any of the 20mm straps you find should match up with 20mm lug to lug cases as long as the straps have straight ends (where it meets the case).

The integrated ones can sometimes move watch to watch (for example those PO good planet rubber straps fit the Seamaster 300).

Bracelets you'll find are a tough go. PO bracelets rarely fit other PO's. An 8500 bracelet or strap won't fit a 9300 for example.

A lot of it just comes down to guess and check. The amount of "wrong" straps that I've purchased over the years is ridiculous. Luckily I've usually been able to find a use for them or was able to sell them to a buddy. The 20mm width is super common however so you should be in luck (especially since your deployant buckle will likely work on all 20/18 straps).

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 24, 2020

Anything fitted might have an issue as the distance from the case to the springbar holes is different. So fitted straps and bracelets may or may not work.

to prevent springbars flying all over the place change inside of a large plastic bag.

also note that bracelet springbars are slightly different then strap ones. So keep them together.

9. Drb477 Feb 24, 2020

Thanks, super helpful.

I went ahead an ordering a Hirsch leather strap, so will see how that goes.

Assuming neither the AT or speedmaster bracelet fit the 42mm PO which seems likely, what's the best way to add a bracelet to either PO? I see some generic ones for sale at various places, but assume I should probably be springing for OEM? Will an AD generally be willing and able to order one for me? There is a boutique nearby (Pittsburgh), but I've been there twice and they were kind of snobby the first time and really snobby the second. When I brought in my AT for sizing she made some comment about how they generally want to see a warranty card (really? to size a bracelet?). I actually do have a card for that watch (I don't for the others), just didn't bring it. Then she made some other comments when I answered honestly about where I bought it... to the point my 9 year old was like, "Daddy is something wrong with your watch?" Whatever, I don't really care, just seems like they are unlikely to be helpful.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 24, 2020

You should be able to order bracelets easily from your nearest OB. AD’s are less versed in ordering them and it usually takes longer through them for the same price.

11. RARJ Feb 24, 2020

I've had the Vancouver boutique order me a number of straps and one bracelet over the years. I've also lucked out and found a couple on various forums and auctions for great deals. There are some good replicas out there however so be careful for deals too good to be true.

Don't be deterred by one a bit scratched up - they're easy to refinish.

You'll want to double check but I think the one that fits the 8500 case is model 1589-858.

I went through the same thing recently with the 22mm version so I wish you good luck!

keisuke_z likes this.
  12. Drb477 Feb 29, 2020

Here's the brown calf leather Hirsch Voyager on the Speedmaster 1957. First strap change went pretty easy. Happy with results, looks and feels like a different watch!

20200229_130745.jpg
    Wetworks likes this.
  13. hbombkid Feb 29, 2020

A good rule of thumb 2 options

straight
    Semi curved

these will fit any watch as you will see a slight gap between the strap and case.

Your full curved I.E. planet ocean, or ones with an end link I.E. aqua terra would be trial and error and probably not fit completely perfect 9 out of 10 times.

14. gpssti4 Feb 29, 2020

I’ve used a brushed AquaTerra bracelet on a Seamaster GMT with fair results before. It looked great too.