Forums Latest Members

Best country to buy new watches

1. AJwala Apr 8, 2019

Hi All

I was just curious about this. Alot of times the retail prices of any watch depends on the taxes of any country. For example: I would never buy a watch from china because of the high tax rates.

HK is a good country to buy watches, I recently visited there, they sell at international retail prices and offer good discount. They also have so many parallel importers and many watch sellers, so the competition is high so they offer good discounts.

I heard that UK and USA also have good pricing.

Off course sometimes you get a good deal in a watch in a random country. It is difficult to generalize but which countries do you think have good watch pricing?

Disclaimer: I am not planning to buy a watch any time soon but am curious about it.

Edited Apr 8, 2019
  2. mrs_LA Apr 8, 2019

I second HK. The market is so flooded with supply that it’s easy to find some dealers (even gray) that can provide good discounts for the watch that you want. No tax, but a slight price increase is already factored in. Still is cheaper than buying with tax in the US.

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. AJwala Apr 8, 2019

Thank you for the reply. What is the taxes like in US? Does US also have a tax return.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 8, 2019

We do not have a national VAT in the US, so there is no tax “return” privilege, like in the U.K. and EU.

Sales taxes are set by the local state and county jurisdictions and can range from 0% to 11%+ depending on where in the US you happen to be.

Some larger stores can sell watches without the sales tax if they are immediately shipped out of state. That means you can’t wear it out of the store (even back to your hotel) and it will be shipped from the store to your home by common carrier. You can be pretty sure to get hit with customs duties in your country using that method.

If you buy duty-free at an international airport in the US, you can skip all the above, but I’m not sure how much negotiation is allowed at those places.

You’ll have to work the numbers to see if it makes sense for you.
    gatorcpa

jankymutt and connieseamaster like this.
  5. Evitzee Apr 8, 2019

The 'best' place is always changing....back in the early 80's the Swiss Franc was 2.50 to a US dollar.....EVERYTHING was a bargain relative to the US, now the Swiss Franc is at par with the US so not that much better than buying at home. State sales taxes are now starting to be collected even if an item is shipped to another state (courtesy of the recent Supreme Court decision) so that advantage is rapidly going away. Hong Kong and Singapore have always been good places to buy due to their competitiveness and low tax structure.

6. robinhook Apr 8, 2019

I second HK, however it is not a country... :D

And as a personal preference, I don’t think buying new Omega is a good idea financially as they don’t hold their value well. Unless not available at used market, and I have to have it at this point, I typically would look at the used market for Omegas. And for that, the Japanese market is unbeatable.

Edited Apr 8, 2019
    KingCrouchy, Spacefruit and AJwala like this.
  7. Skrv Apr 8, 2019

I would recommend buying from Omega AD,s in India. Because of the currency conversions I almost saved more than 30% from US AD retail price on Railmaster 40mm. Also depending on time of the month and the location of AD you can get another 5% discount. I declared the watch for the value I bought in India and paid 60$ in US customs fees. So overall worked out very good. I think the watches were priced when 1 US was around 50 INR and now it’s around 65 to 70 INR and my guess is that Omega has not readjusted the prices to account for currency fluctuations

8. 77deluxe Apr 8, 2019

Which every country you happen to be in when you find one you want.

loniscup and AJwala like this.
  9. NYCwatchgal Apr 8, 2019

HK used to be a good bargain. I find prices are about comparable to US if you know where to go.

I found London Heathrow airport offers good pricing. A photographer we worked with travels to the UK a lot and said go shopping at Heathrow airport. I thought he was joking.

Last year, when I was connecting from Scotland, I checked out the AD of Rolex and Cartier and they were indeed cheaper than the discount I got in the US by a $500-700. Also, it helps the US dollar being stronger than the pound years ago.

You have to go to actual Rolex and Cartier individual shops. Not ones that sell multiple brands. When I went to one that sold multiple brands, the IWC price was the same exact price but in pounds. 32% more than US. Umm, no thank you.

The prices at Heathrow are duty AND tax free.

AJwala likes this.
  10. AJwala Apr 9, 2019

Wow,so the retail price of the watches are different based on different states? As someone said in this tread, this is now changing, so probably it will be the tax will be the same in all states is it?

11. AJwala Apr 9, 2019

Agreed, but recently I noticed that their retail price is already 10-20% higher than international retail then they give around 20% discount depending on the brand, so it doesnt turn out to be a good deal. :(
    In that regards Nepal is better but the Rolex AD has become up tight and Rolex Sports novelties at almost double :(

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 9, 2019

MSRP in the US is always stated without sales tax. This is to ensure some level of price uniformity. It is understood that sales tax in New York City (8 7/8%) will be higher than in Concord, New Hampshire (0%).

There is zero chance that the states will ever have uniform sales taxes. There is not even uniformity within states. In New York State, the tax can range anywhere from 4 1/2% to 8 7/8%, depending on what street corner you happen to be standing.

In theory at least, retailers can post whatever price they want within a range dictated by manufacturers. Different states have different laws to protect consumers, with which the stores and manufacturers have to comply.

It is not easy to do business in the USA. That keeps me employed.
    gatorcpa

rhetoric likes this.
  13. AJwala Apr 9, 2019

Wow, this sounds so interesting. Different taxes within a city! i cant imagine how difficult it would be to work in USA with so many laws!the opposite is true here, less strict laws so every govt employee is the king :p

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 9, 2019

I live a less than a mile from the border between two counties. Until 2019, there used to be a full 1% difference in sales tax rate between the counties.

Under state law (which supersedes the counties), that 1% could only be charged on the first $5,000 of a purchase, so the maximum difference was $50.

Some states charge different sales taxes by school district, so your neighbors across the street might pay a slightly different rate than you.

It’s ridiculous, but all perfectly legal.
    gatorcpa

AJwala likes this.
  15. AJwala Apr 9, 2019

This concept is so new and out of the world to me :p

16. Jerseyhammer Apr 12, 2019

The channel island is a good source. No VAT in Guernsey and only 5% GST in Jersey. Both have both high street jewellers and independent AD for high end brands.

17. AJwala Apr 12, 2019

Interesting! do they offer good discounts as well?

18. Jerseyhammer Apr 12, 2019

Depends on what model and brand. The independents do on their older models , but I’ve noticed recently it’s only about 9% where it used to be up to 15%

19. KingCrouchy Apr 12, 2019

The best Country to buy watches from is Omegaforumland!:thumbsup:

AJwala likes this.
  20. starcraft Apr 12, 2019

If you are a tourist on holidays, claiming back the tax at the airport then it doesn't matter. If you are not then it's somewhere with low tax and good customer service.