Forums Latest Members

Apollo 15: David Scott's Bulova and the case of the missing crystal...

1. DoctorEvil May 3, 2021

Greetings and hope everyone is in good health.
    My purchase of a Speedmaster FOIS a couple of years ago has sparked a newfound interest in the US manned space flight programme, the race to the moon and the Speedmaster's role in it. And with the impending 50th Anniversary of Apollo 15, I wish to seek your opinions regarding a topic that has had me intrigued.

Some of you may recall that David Scott (Apollo 15 mission commander) had taken with him a Bulova Chronograph as part of his personal effects, supposedly as a backup for his issued Speedy. He subsequently wore it on the lunar surface during the third EVA, claiming that the crystal on his issued Speedy had popped off during the second EVA. This Bulova watch was auctioned off for $1.6mil a few years ago. I've included a link to an interview with Dave Scott for those unfamiliar with the background.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/fratello-watches-qa-with-apollo-15-astronaut-dave-scott/

What particularly intrigues me is this:
    Given that this is the only known instance (to my knowledge) where a Speedmaster has failed in space, it seems like more than just mere coincidence that there was a Bulova Chronograph on hand to act as a backup. Bulova at the time was an American owned watch company that had tried unsuccessfully to pressure NASA into ditching the Speedmaster and using its watches instead as the official astronaut's watch. In the interview with Scott, he said that Bulova had given him this watch to "evaluate" in space.

My question is this:
    Could Scott have deliberately damaged his Speedy so that he would then have an excuse to wear the Bulova on the moon? Scott might even have received a kickback for it. For Bulova, it would have been a small price to pay for a huge public relations coup as it would mean that it's rival Omega could no longer use the advertising slogan of "The Only Watch Worn On The Moon". It's not out of the realms of possibility given that the Apollo 15 astronauts were also mired in the "First Day Covers" scandal where they had taken about 400 unauthorised first day covers (envelopes with commemorative stamps and postmarks) with them and some of these were subsequently sold by a third party for a huge profit. The astronauts themselves were to have been paid for doing this but they claimed that they later refused payment.

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/07/12/...ded-apollo-15-astronauts-are-reprimanded.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_15_postal_covers_incident

Apologies if this topic has already been covered in a previous thread, but I'd love to do a poll and hear from as many people as possible on this subject. What do you all think? Did he do it?

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. kkt May 3, 2021

It seems unlikely. The astronauts had more on their minds than getting a kickback from a watch company.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  3. Evitzee May 3, 2021

These guys were inundated in requirements to do their jobs, I doubt most Speedmasters were really relied upon during their intense mission activities. It's only us goofballs 50+ years later who want to believe the space program was completely dependent on the Omega Speedmaster.

Larry S, kkt and DoctorEvil like this.
  4. DoctorEvil May 3, 2021

Good point. If that was the case, then Bulova certainly "hit the jackpot" if it was just blind luck and coincidence that their watch ended up being the second watch model worn on the moon. It could've been a Rolex GMT instead given that it was a popular watch amongst the Apollo crews.

5. DoctorEvil May 3, 2021

Hahaha. Goofballs... love it! :D

6. Professor May 3, 2021

Two thousand years from now the orthodox Bulovites and Omegavista heretics will engage in a bloody centuries long conflict over this question.

7. DoctorEvil May 3, 2021

Hahaha :D

8. pdxleaf ... May 3, 2021

Glad to see another space enthusiast. It's a fun area to explore.

I recently "heard" that crystals had popped off on other speedys. Unfortunately, i don't recall the source. I have recently watched a few youtube videos with old interviews from other missions, as well as podcasts. I can't remember which one I heard it on. So without a source, this is only hearsay. However, with a bit of digging I suspect you will find that this didn't only happen to Scott's watch. They tended to get knocked about and it happened, especially in a bulky suit in tight quarters.

Stamps and flags were certainly recognized as having value, but watches weren't as recognized as collectibles at that time. They did recognize the value of anything on the lunar surface, which is why the lunar module crew often carried items to the surface for their crewmates in orbit on the command module. However, it's doubtful anyone would have anticipated a watch going for a million or more.

It's ironic that the capitalist nation was so strict about making some side change whereas the USSR had a more liberal policy that allowed Cosmonauts to hang onto gear. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Be judicious in applying today's standards and knowledge to that different era. It is certainly curious and interesting, but a kickback is a strong charge.

Cheers.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  9. DoctorEvil May 3, 2021

Hi and thanks for your input.

I agree that accusing someone of taking a bribe is a strong charge but as I mentioned in my original post, I wouldn't be surprised given the revelations of the First Day Cover scandal. Only Dave Scott himself knows what really happened and he'll probably take that secret with him to the grave.

As to the Bulova, I reckon that US$1.6mil is a remarkably small price for a watch that was worn on the moon. It was the only one available for private sale given that the others (Speedmasters) were government property and had to be returned. I say it's a "small price" given that Paul Newman's own Daytona sold for US$16mil? Don't get me wrong, Paul Newman was a big celebrity but he probably had other watches as well, not just that Daytona. But a watch that's been on the moon and still has specks of moon dust on it? That's priceless.

pdxleaf likes this.
  10. Professor May 4, 2021

Since the actual cause of the moon watch losing its crystal are well know and research, and so well understood that an external case was developed to protect the watches from similar failures in the future, this conspiracy theory is as hair brained as it gets.
    Unlike my revelation that the Moon is flat as a pancake, since it has a darkside and a light side and solid spherical objects have only one side, that being the outside.

BTW
    The Newman Daytona fetched such a high price because he wore it on the Moon during his secret CIA funded lunar mission as Elvis Presley's co pilot.

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 4, 2021

AFAIK there's no official report of the hesalite failure during Apollo 15... but there's an official report for the hesalite failure during Apollo 16 !
    Moreover, there're photos showing Charlie Duke wearing the Speedmaster without hesalite during lunar EVA near the LRV
    MoonwatchUniverse article excerpt:
    ::book::
    The Omega Speedmaster performed flawlessly and only two incidents were reported;
    David Scott (Apollo 15 lunar EVA 2) and Charlie Duke (Apollo 16 lunar EVA 3 ).

After the mission, both astronauts reported that the hesalite glass had popped off from the watch, after which its stopped running.
    The anomaly about Duke's watch was summarized in the Apollo 16 mission report;
    At depressurization, just prior to the third lunar extravehicular activity, the Lunar Module Pilot noted that his chronograph crystal was gone. The chronograph hands and face were not hit. However, about 12 minutes later the movement stopped. Most likely, warpage caused by thermal cycling allowed the differential pressure across the acrylic crystal to pop it out of the case. The exposure to and penetration of lunar dust contamination about the Lunar Module Pilot's sleeves probably caused the failure of the chronograph movement.
    These chronographs are certified to a maximum temperature of 160° F. Testing has demonstrated that in the range of 190° F, the crystal is weakened to the point where internal pressure can push the crystal off. For the chronograph to reach a temperature of 190° F, direct continuous exposure to incident solar radiation normal to its surface is required for approximately 12 minutes.
    These chronographs are tested at the Manned Spacecraft Center when received, again before shipment to the Kennedy Space Center and again just prior to flight. The Apollo chronograph is a secondary timing device and is not critical to mission success or crew safety. There are no plans for corrective action.

cvalue13, Alex Cheers, kkt and 3 others like this.
  12. DoctorEvil May 4, 2021

Thanks for that. That's really interesting.

13. DoctorEvil May 4, 2021

Haha. Very funny, Professor. Thanks for reminding me about Project Alaska. :D
    Your sarcasm and wit knows no bounds.

14. DoctorEvil May 4, 2021

In light of the evidence above, it looks like I might have to give David Scott the benefit of the doubt then and accept that his Speedy crystal popping off and having the Bulova on hand was just a coincidence.

pdxleaf likes this.
  15. rcs914 May 4, 2021

And of course the funny thing about this is that the watch in question is really a re-branded Universal Geneve and no more "American" than the Speedmaster that they were trying to replace.

DoctorEvil, Larry S and pdxleaf like this.
  16. DoctorEvil May 4, 2021

Yes, I've heard that. Also, Omega got around the "Buy American" legislation by ensuring that at least 50% of the components of the Speedmaster were made in the USA.

17. Martin Dawson Jun 6, 2021

Hi folks, first time on site, great stuff to read, really enjoying it. Would like to add to the discussion, in 2015 I met Charlie Duke at a event not far from where I live (Yorkshire, UK) not long afterwards I sent him a email and asked about his Omega Speedmaster. My email and his reply follows. Perhaps South Carolina State Museum may know more about Charlie Duke's watches crystal? Best wishes all... MD

>We had one watch each. Mine is displayed at the South Carolina State Museum.
    Great meeting you. charlie
    > Dear Mr. Duke,
    > Could I ask a question?
    > I met you (briefly) on Friday 18 november (2005) at the West Yorkshire Astronomical
    > Society's meeting where you gave a presentation. during a Q&A session a
    > young boy asked what happend to your Omega Speedmaster, and I forgot what
    > you said! (sorry), so where did your watch go? and did you have two on your
    > mission?
    > Hope you don't mind me asking!
    > All the best and thank you for a excellent evening,
    > Martin Dawson
    > PS I have a Snoopy Speedmaster, lovelly ain't they!

pdxleaf likes this.
  18. Martin Dawson Jun 6, 2021

DoctorEvil and pdxleaf like this.
  19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 7, 2021

These Speedmaster chronographs got serviced, some original 105.003 cal 321 models even got a replacement 861 movement in them :eek:

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. Martin Dawson Jun 7, 2021

Yes I remember reading something about them been serviced. So if the orignal movements where changed out, what happened to them? I'd have thought changing a watches movement is tantamont to removing its soul ;o) If a watch went to the moon and then was efectivly 'chopped in two' it would ruin things... but are there any watch repairers/servicers out there with a Omega Speedmaster case with a original moon watch movement? mmm