Forums Latest Members

Can anybody help? The case of the missing dial marker.

1. bupdyke Mar 26, 2014

I just purchased a beautiful Seamaster. One of the indexes was loose and I gently firmed it down on the dial. The crystal is also loose on the case: I think it may be slightly the wrong size. When I later went to put some crystal cement on the crystal to secure it, I noticed that the index was gone! :eek: It was at the 7:00 position. A couple of pictures are below. I have looked everywhere, particularly where the watch was, and cannot find the small index. :(

Would anybody have a clean index that would fit this dial?

P1020264.JPG

P1020265.JPG

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 26, 2014

Try contacting kirk rich dial in CA- have bought dial markers from them in the past.

bupdyke likes this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 26, 2014

The indices are typically riveted to the dial. So you need to fit it in the hole and then expand the rivet from the back side of the dial. Kirk Rich should probably have these.

bupdyke likes this.
  4. Georgieboy58 Mar 27, 2014

Have you also checked inside the watch?
    From the detail photos it looks like there is a gap between dial and case (on the right side you can imagine the winding stem), so my guess would be it made its way into the movement.

bupdyke likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2014

Hope you didn't just finish a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich when you noticed it was missing :D

AuBuyer likes this.
  6. bupdyke Mar 27, 2014

Should I get an Xray? ::jumpy::

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 27, 2014

Or wait for nature to take its course.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2014

Boy, talk about a needle in a haystack, I think they'll find that jet before then :eek:

ulackfocus likes this.
  9. woodwkr2 Mar 27, 2014

FWIW, these are compression fit crystals. If you have a crystal that is too loose and spins around in the bezel, you need to replace the crystal, rather than just gluing it in place. Old crystals can shrink, so it's not too uncommon. Glue is typically reserved for the tonneau or odd shaped cases where a compression fit crystal can't be used.

It important to avoid the glue and a loose fitting crystal (even if it looks okay) because it can allow dirt and grime into the case, ruining the dial or working its way into the movement. The glue can flake off too over time.

10. woodwkr2 Mar 27, 2014

Double dog dare you... ;)

Bring out the latex gloves, and vomit bags.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 27, 2014

At least you know where the haystack is - with that plane they are still working on locating the haystack!

12. bupdyke Mar 27, 2014

Hey Guys, this is getting too personal! :eek: I think maybe the better option is Kirk.;)

13. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Mar 27, 2014

At least it was not in the Triceratops! ::jumpy::

14. ulackfocus Mar 27, 2014

"She's…. um….... tenacious."

"You have no idea."

:p

15. michael e Still learning. Mar 27, 2014

If you are stuck Bruce I will have a look at my dials when I get home on Monday, I might have one of these.
    I hate losing small parts, in desperation and as a last resort I have emptied the vacuum cleaner and have run it over the area several times to see if it sucks up the part. My wife gets excited to see me with the vac in my hand but it doesn't last long when she sees me scratching through the dust on my hands and knees with a builders bum and a loupe stuck to my eye.
    Cheers Mick

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2014

Remember to use a magnet in the dust for screws. :thumbsup:

bupdyke likes this.
  17. michael e Still learning. Mar 27, 2014

A fridge magnet is one of my favourite tools Steve.
    Cheers Mick

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 27, 2014

Borrow some panty hose from <insert name here>.

Turn vac on, allow about 12" of the leg to get sucked up the vac tube and use a lacker band to hold the rest on the outside of the tube.

Suck away in the area where you dropped your parts. The little screws and stuff get caught in the fabric but don't get sucked through.

I've tried it once or twice and it's saved me from going through a pile of dust/fluff/gunge/spiders and whatever else got sucked up before.

I've also fitted a brand new dust bag and used it solely for finding watch bits, can get a bit exy though if you have to cut new bags open for a 10 cent screw.

bupdyke likes this.