Forums Latest Members

Apollo 13th 50th Anniversary deposits?

1. 64Wing Apr 24, 2020

Exactly! I mean: how about the first run of the lunar Rover?? That project alone was incredible!

2. Japanred Apr 25, 2020

I only placed a £500 deposit on the A11 50th ann. deposit was placed April/May. Watch arrived Dec.

3. Japanred Apr 25, 2020

As above. I’ve paid deposits in the UK on more than one occasion. Been told I will need to pay a deposit for this new Snoopy/A13 too.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  4. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Apr 25, 2020

over here in Germany the OB never ask for a deposit.:thumbsdown:

Seaborg and Japanred like this.
  5. Martin_J_N Apr 25, 2020

I paid a deposit for the Seamaster white dial, placed the deposit at an Omega roadshow, later changed my mind and got my deposit back.

My OB hasn't requested a deposit yet for the 321 or the Snoopy celebration so we'll see what happens in the weeks to come.

6. Martin_J_N Apr 25, 2020

This instagram feed doesn't actually state that there is an A13 50th watch, it simply says that Omega will be 'Saluting' the 50th Anniversary of receiving the Silver Snoopy Award. The probability is that it will be a Speedmaster, but rather than focus on A13 it is focusing on the awarding of the Silver Snoopy. So will any watch feature A13 possibly, Snoopy certainly.

SpeedyPhill and Japanred like this.
  7. flw history nerd Apr 25, 2020

We all know Neil Armstrong's first words as he stepped onto the moon. But ...

Who was the commander of Apollo 12, and what was the first thing he said as he stepped onto the moon?

(It was quite the contrast.) :rolleyes:

BatDad, Flintlock and MTROIS like this.
  8. MTROIS Apr 25, 2020

Of course... I HAD to look it up! Whoopie!! ;)

In the process, also learned about the great call that John "steely-eyed missile man" Aaron made after the rocket was hit by lighting a few seconds after take off, combined to Bean's outstanding training and memory!! So many epic stories... :thumbsup:

flw and 64Wing like this.
  9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 26, 2020

Omega spaceflight-related marketing in the 20th century:
    Gemini IV, Apollo 8, Apollo 11, Apollo 13, Apollo 15, Apollo 17, Apollo-Soyuz and space shuttle STS-1
    ... and a nice FREE hardcover book " The Moonwatch " in 1994

Omega spaceflight-related marketing in the 21st century:
    Apollo 8, Apollo 11 with Buzz Butt subdial and Snoopy
    ... and some publicity about Gemini IV with photos of Gemini XII
    :whistling:
    The Times They Are a-Changin'

10. SpeedyPete Apr 26, 2020

I’ve had a deposit at my OB since December for Apollo 13. I wonder if it will transfer to Snoopy?

11. Martin_J_N Apr 26, 2020

I guess that you would be able to get on the main Omega waiting list, if this Covid 19 doesn't tail off this may be the only way any of us might get a watch.

12. Flintlock Jun 11, 2020

Apparently we don't all know Neil Armstrong's first words. At least Omega doesn't. On the 50th Anniv edition he is misquoted as Omega edits his words with a grammatical correction. I noticed the odd wording live and put it down to other things on his mind. I can't even imagine the tension of stepping out on the moon. The misquote is, to me, as bad as printing the bride's name wrong on invitations. It's unacceptable. There is enough history revision already. Neil Armstrong was good enough for me, just like he was.

13. larryganz The cable guy Jun 11, 2020

"IT'S GOOD TO BE B[L]ACK ON THE MOON..." Space Force - Netflix 2020

I wonder if that misspeaking could help alleviate the tensions we're having now :( ?

Flintlock, flw and Fedev like this.
  14. imageWIS Jun 11, 2020

Apparently, he did admit that he said 'for a man' but that it was inaudible to NASA and to the world-wide listening / watching audience: https://www.space.com/17307-neil-armstrong-one-small-step-quote.html

NASA on their website says the quote is: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11.html

flw, Japanred and larryganz like this.
  15. THX1138 Jun 17, 2020

With regards to Apollo 11 & 13 information, there is a very good podcast from The BBC World Service called “13 Minutes to the Moon”. The 1st series covers the 13 minutes of the Apollo 11 moon landing, the 2nd the Apollo 13 accident. Lots of recordings from flight controllers, (Gene Kranz, Glynn Lunney, etc) as well as the astronauts involved.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2

flw likes this.
  16. taz101 Jun 17, 2020

I spoke to my AD yesterday who I have a lot of history with to check I am on the list and he said "as you know it's been pushed back to October" and I was like "yea.." so guess it's October!

17. YY77 Jun 17, 2020

Did you miss this post:whistling:

Martin_J_N and SpeedyPhill like this.
  18. taz101 Jun 18, 2020

Evidently!

YY77 likes this.
  19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 20, 2020

Yes, topic title should be changed into " 50th Apollo 13 Snoopy Award "

20. Flintlock Jun 24, 2020

Yes, I see there is an attempt to revise it. I don't know why because the truth was just fine at that awe inspiring moment. I felt so lucky to have my life intersect that point in evolution. But, I know what I heard and the recordings are out there. There is not a moment of static or garble or silence. If so there would be some spacing between the words, there was not. I was a beginning ham radio operator then and in the intervening years have listened to some weak and staticy side band transmissions. Neil Armstrong's radio was loud and clear. You can tell when you've missed a word or portion by the timing. If you listen to the recording you can tell there is no gap in the word spacing to account for an added word. Please tell me what you think.

If NASA is revising, then I can't blame Omega for following suit. There is just too much revising history going on. Just my 2¢.

Japanred likes this.