Forums Latest Members

Apollo 13th 50th Anniversary deposits?

1. Newatch321 Feb 15, 2020

I also have not heard anything. Hopefully there is some news soon.

2. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Feb 15, 2020

I don’t know. I was just repeating what I was told.
    A half year ago the manager told me that there wouldn’t be a limited edition for NO TIME TO DIE
    He is right!

3. Evitzee Feb 15, 2020

At one point the strong message was it would NOT be Snoopy themed. But haven't heard a peep in many months. The Apollo 11 was unveiled two months before the anniversary date, so you would expect Omega to announce something soon, but with 007 and Tokyo on the calendar maybe they will delay it. With all the 321 hoopla I think it will be a pretty low key edition.

Fratello has confirmed there is no ST3 this year.

Edited Feb 15, 2020
  4. MTROIS Feb 15, 2020

No news on the Apollo 13 50th yet... at least in my neck of the woods.
    Would love to hear otherwise.

5. mk2rick Feb 15, 2020

I asked the OB here in Melbourne too , well , all I can say is that they are clueless :(

watchme likes this.
  6. 64Wing Feb 15, 2020

I would love to try the place. Capt. Lovell did mention this to me during our spontaneous plan-b dinner. His original dinner plans had fallen through due to a scheduling change so I just said, "Jim, there's been a mixup with the time slot for dinner and it now conflicts with your other engagement this evening. So I took the liberty of having the staff here arrange a table for us and it would be my privilege to treat you to dinner." He graciously accepted and we dined for about 1.5 hours. He gave me the ultimate inside scoop on the mission, NASA in general. We spoke of his time at the Naval academy and about his family, their activities and interests. Eventually it just boiled down to pilot talk.

It was something I'll never forget. What a remarkable man exuding that illusive "right stuff." His intelligence, approachability, and jest are of a caliber I could only hope to emulate.

PS: he enjoys the occasional Sam Adams Boston Lager, and so do I, but I stuck to a Pepsi as I was his driver

Edited Feb 16, 2020
    MTROIS, flw and Walrus like this.
  7. Alex87 Feb 16, 2020

Here's what I've been told, all by OBs. When I picked up my gold speedy a few weeks ago, I was asked by the manager if I was interested in the upcoming Apollo 13 LE, so I put my name down. Apparently, there is already a huge queue. I was told by the London boutique that the Apollo 13 LE will only be sold to preferred clients, the saleswoman seems to indicate that it'll be easier to get the new 321 lol. At least she was honest and nice about it.

The OB closest to me said they don't think there will be a Apollo 13 LE, which made me laugh. Apparently, the MD of Omega UK told them this during the new opening of their new store. I told the guy to create a list and put my name down, so technically, I'm first on that list :D.

MTROIS likes this.
  8. EricCsN Feb 16, 2020

yes

9. flw history nerd Feb 16, 2020

While I didn't have the opportunity to share a meal with him, I also had the great fortune to meet Captain Lovell once, and chatted with him about his experiences.

I was between teaching jobs one summer over twenty years ago, and I took a part time position at a (now sadly missed) Borders bookshop in south Texas, as my family and I prepared to move to Michigan. One Saturday morning I showed up to open the store and get ready for the weekend rush - the manager was in the back stockroom and I was getting the registers up and running. The door opened and a man walked in, strode up to the counter and asked me: "Good morning. I wonder if you happen to have a copy of a book called Lost Moon?"

I looked at him, thinking that he seemed familiar, but I couldn't place him. I replied, "It's funny you should mention that book. It's not on the shelf, but a copy just arrived yesterday - I remember seeing it in the stockroom. Would you like to buy it?"

He smiled and said, "No, but if you like, I'll autograph it for you." He extended his hand and said, "I'm Jim Lovell. Nice to meet you."

Needless to say, I got the book for him. We chatted over coffee for nearly an hour - an amazing encounter with a true hero.

And the book came home with me and remains on my bookshelf to this day. 20200216_103112.jpg

EricCsN, Buzz man, larryganz and 2 others like this.
  10. MTROIS Feb 16, 2020

So he just walked in randomly to autograph his book... or did you have a prior exchange with him?? That is both an amazing and surprising interaction with Cpt. Lovell.
    Thank you for sharing.

flw likes this.
  11. flw history nerd Feb 16, 2020

It was completely spontaneous. I asked him what brought him into the store, and he said that he was in San Antonio for the weekend to visit his grandkids (he lived in Houston at the time, I believe). No prior encounter with him (or since, for that matter). One of the most memorable days of my life.

larryganz and MTROIS like this.
  12. 64Wing Feb 16, 2020

What a nice memento and gesture! I can see and hear him saying that to you. He has an almost imposing handshake with a firm grasp and that big Naval Academy ring.
    I hope to run into him again someday as it's truly just an enjoyable experience talking with him

MTROIS and flw like this.
  13. Limited Feb 17, 2020

Yesterday I have been in Rome's BO... they haven't news about Apollo XIII, I'm just dropping off the deposit for the list, the request is € 2K

14. MTROIS Feb 17, 2020

Still interesting to hear that they have opened an official list with deposits.

15. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2020

Mr A N Other has been circulating rumours again I see.

There is so much speculation regarding the Snoopy release we will just have to wait and see.

16. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2020

We all know what happened with the Silver Snoopy deposit list... what a shit show that was!

Then, after so many people missed out, the offered the CK998 as first dibs... man was that watch no where near the Silver Snoopy status!

17. Capt Cave Man Feb 17, 2020

Have been asking in a couple of ADs, like us at present, they have no idea...

18. Limited Feb 17, 2020

I was new Omega's client but didn't have problem to buy Apollo XI (Italy)

19. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2020

That wasn't aimed at you - It was meaning that all the news that comes out is just hearsay/rumours.

D

20. rustyduck Feb 17, 2020

that is a great story! thanks for sharing. Just out of curiosity, did you happen to observe what watch he was wearing that day?

Pun likes this.