Forums Latest Members

Anything I can do about this scratch?

1. magicbadger May 19, 2021

New scratch on the brushed side of the case on 3861 speedmaster (steel). Anything I can do?

1A7501C7-A53A-408A-82AC-8D6EBEF50ECF.jpeg
  2. s2000_driver May 19, 2021

You can have it polished out, but it is only a matter of time before it gets scratched again. The first scratch on a new watch is always bothersome... give it a few days and it likely won't bother you anymore.

If I were you, I wouldn't do a thing. Just enjoy the lovely watch!

RPC, ChiefMark, NotAClue and 4 others like this.
  3. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 19, 2021

I find swearing cathartic! Doesn’t remove scratches but cures the itch.

Sorry it happened but it is now truly your watch, as above wear it with pride it’s a good ‘un.

magicbadger and Pun like this.
  4. hronists May 19, 2021

four choices.

1. take any abrasive pad and apply it until scratch is gone. pros - cheap, cons - so many things to eff up.
    2. visit any watchmaker or jeweller with lapping machine and ask to fix it. pros - scratch will be gone. cons - I have no idea how it affects warranty, will cost you some money.
    3. send it to Omega approved watchmaker or service center and ask to fix it. pros - watch will be like new. cons - will cost a lot of money, because of they might insist on full service.
    4. most sensible option - do nothing. your watch will pick up more scratches sooner or later, learn how to live with them. You can fix them during first service in 5 or whatever years.

Edited May 19, 2021
  5. Mac-427 May 19, 2021

Remove the scratch with fine Scotchbrite after you mask the polished areas with painters tape. Work in one direction only rather than rotating the Scotchbrite.

6. Bp1000 May 19, 2021

I would live with it.

Pristine brand new watches are dare I say it, the worst time to own a watch, after the first initial excitement.

Once its scratched up a but, it feels much more lived in and comfortable.

Leave it and have it fixed at service. I'd recommend you don't try and brush it out yourself. You don't want to mess up the grain and direction.

avidmark and Pun like this.
  7. Wetworks May 19, 2021

Using scrotchbrite or similar approaches on the satin finishes found on many Omega cases (as opposed to the finishes on the bracelets/clasps) has typically not resulted in good results in the past. I've found these brushes from Bergeon to work fantastically, however. Much better control and I find the finish more consistent.

http://www.ofrei.com/page251.html

8. Mac-427 May 19, 2021

Even with improved control with the Bergeon brushes, I'd still mask the polished areas.

Wetworks likes this.
  9. gbesq May 19, 2021

+1. Dampen the pad first with water and then wring it out. Rub GENTLY with the grain using only enough pressure to remove enough material to get below and remove the scratch. Take your time, stop periodically, clean the area with a clean eyeglasses cloth moistened with a bit of lense cleaner, and then resume with the Scotchbrite pad if the scratch is still there. Stay away from the polished surfaces, edges and chamfers of the case. The Bergeron brush is also a good suggestion. If in doubt, have a professional do it.

10. Wetworks May 19, 2021

Oh, absolutely! But as I said, it's more about the finish. The ability to temper the stiffness of the bristles as well as the control of it makes a world of difference on that satin finish. For something like the clasp, which is more of a true brushed finish, I feel the pads are terrific.

11. nicolamilton May 19, 2021

Garrison, Garriflex, grey color hardness.

12. reemas May 19, 2021

Oddly, I’m not trying to scratch my watch but looking forward to the wear and character the scratches will show over time. Someday when I hand it down, I’d like to think those are marks of the times I wore it.

13. magicbadger May 19, 2021

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - I might try and brush it at some point when I'm feeling brave. Annoyingly I have only had this a couple of months - I had my last watch (Tag Heuer) for ten years without even the faintest of marks on the case despite never taking it off

14. JwRosenthal May 19, 2021

I recently did this
    98F0C6B4-4DAD-422F-8661-B45606C4BB16.png

Have no idea how, oh well- the first of many I assume.

15. 502 to right May 19, 2021

Which brush is right one to duplicate the Omega brushed finish? There are four listed. I'm going to get one. Thanks

16. dcl_88 May 19, 2021

You can… come up with a great story on how you got that scratch?

17. Butik May 19, 2021

Live with it and enjoy the watch. If you do something with it now, something new will come sooner than later.

18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 19, 2021

You can balance it out by scratching the other side. Or just wait a few more months, it will happen by default.

19. MRC May 19, 2021

Or just put it on your other wrist.Transporting one home last week from battery swap I did notice that it seemed to make light contact with the rest of the world more often than the somewhat larger watch on my normal wrist.

20. Wetworks May 19, 2021

The 2834c is going to give you the lightest touch when extended. That said, I have not been able to replicate the satin Omega finish, but my results have been better than leaving a scratch or using scotchbrite