Forums Latest Members

Can you tell me anything about my old Seamaster Cosmic 2000 (166.0128)?

1. SuperYova Jul 14, 2019

This watch was bought and presented to my grandfather in 1975. Since he passed in 1983 it sat over time in closets and safe deposit boxes never used. Getting back into watches I thought it would be nice to wear.

Family lore is sketchy but as you'll see in the pictures, there was an issue with the watch from the beginning and some repair was done back in the 1970s. After wearing it for a week, it keeps time. Comparing it to my iPhone, the Omega is about 5 seconds faster every day.

While I haven't yet had a chance to open the back (assuming via a professional) and gather details via its insides, I'd like to know if you can tell me anything about this particular model. Note that it was bought and serviced in the Middle East. I also wonder, honestly, if it's a fake for a few reasons:

1.) It required significant servicing after it was purchased.
    2.) The strap feels cheap and has no Omega markings on it, just "100% stainless steel" (not aware if it was ever replaced)
    3.) The bezel from the side view looks a bit uneven with the case.
    4.) It was bought in a developing region of the world in the mid-1970s.
    Update:
    5.) After a week the watch inexplicably stops, even through consistent usage.

Any feedback and information would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to know, can this watch be serviced at reputable repair shops or should I be extremely cautious because of its age? Also, any advice on cleaning up the dial from the repair scratches?

Thanks!

IMG_1691.jpg IMG_1692.JPG IMG_1694.jpg IMG_1695.jpg IMG_1699.jpg
    Edited Jul 15, 2019
  2. jimmyd13 Jul 14, 2019

You can see details of your watch here: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watch-omega-seamaster-cosmic-2000-cd-166-0128

It's a Cal 1012 which is eminently serviceable by any watchmaker with an Omega account (hell, even one without but be careful as you're looking for someone to trust with your heirloom). As I've often said before, if you're willing to post your approximate location it's likely that there's a member close enough to you who can recommend a watchmaker.

DaveK likes this.
  3. SuperYova Jul 14, 2019

Great to know! My location is Jacksonville, Florida, so if anyone can recommend a place in NE Florida would be appreciated.

4. jimmyd13 Jul 14, 2019

The weekend tends to be quieter on here than it is through the week - if no-one gives a recommendation, then bump the thread on Monday morning.

5. SuperYova Jul 15, 2019

New issue with watch just occurred yesterday after wearing it for a week: Although it keeps great time, I looked down at it and it stopped. Shook my wrist, and the second hand went forward about 10 seconds and stopped again. Shook more and worked for the rest of the day, but apparently stopped in the middle of the night too. I now recall this having been seen years ago when we last took it out for use. Not sure what to make of it.

6. Rochete Jul 15, 2019

Probably dirty and dry oils. Might need a service, certainly an inspection.

7. jimmyd13 Jul 15, 2019

Anyone recommend a Floridian watchmaker for the new guy?

8. SuperYova Jul 15, 2019

I saw in a search of this site that someone liked "About Time" in Jacksonville. Appreciate all suggestions.

9. JamieG Jul 20, 2019

914627C7-B427-49BD-9189-E1C9F33EC07B.jpeg I have a Day / Date version of the same watch from the same year.

The Bracelet is definitely not the original, mine was on an 1171 with 576 (I think) end links.

It’s definitely worth finding a good Omega Service Centre to give it a once over and service. It’s unlikely most independents will have the tools to open the case as it is pressed together, see the dark coloured ring visible from the back. These tend to harden with age.

Can’t help with a recommendation stateside though. Here in the UK Swiss Time Services in Essex did a great job with mine

10. Rochete Jul 20, 2019

Any good watchmaker can open and service it.

11. SuperYova Jul 20, 2019

How interesting to see an original setup!

Would you know what the "Cosmic 2000" meant in terms of the marketing for this watch?

JamieG likes this.
  12. JamieG Jul 20, 2019

Sorry mate, no idea about the marketing view. I know the “Cosmic” and “Cosmic 2000” are very different watches. Unfortunately the 2000 seems to be lesser thought of.

For what it’s worth mine is very accurate, within a few seconds a day, and is dead comfortable as a daily wearer.

I bought mine at auction as a non runner, and I’m glad that I did.

SuperYova likes this.