Anyone have a historical watch?

It only supports the premise that the serial range is correct. Not that all the members of the correct serial number range data set are correct. It's fine graph by the way, but again, only good for showing the data clusters.
Edited:

It only supports the premise that the serial range is correct. Not that all the members of the correct serial number data set are correct.
I think it strongly supports both, but proves neither.

I’ll have a play this evening and highlight where the fifteen watches with extracts are. I think if there are multiple correct extracts in each of the four blocks, then there’s really strong support that those four blocks are somehow correct.

Sorry I’m useless at waiting. I’ve just highlighted the points in my plot that have “yellow” extracts in your spreadsheet. I haven’t updated this for over a year so a few are missing, but certainly all four blocks have at least two watches with extract.

536D4184-F114-4F62-B573-F0715D3733B9.jpeg

If we take these red dots as being “good” (they are watches with “good” extracts), then I see strong support for the statistical hypothesis that there are four “good” ranges.

Yes, I like your hypothesis, now you just need to verify it with several extracts for those ranges that we don't have and extract for to see if it is true since that is about the only thing we can do without an actual photograph of those pages from the archives.

@w154 @Seiji Wow love the discussion.
So as a complete layman to this reference I have questions.
Being a firm believer that there is no stupid question, its more likely its me being "stupid" or lacking of understanding.

- What does the plus "+" that has been crossed out signifies? (See image below)
- Same question for the circle with a triangle within it? (See image below)
- Then a watchmaker / diver question. In column 4 "Baume" has 13.31 (I think) as the first entry, with idem for the the others. Is the a pressure measurement of some sort?

upload_2023-9-15_14-53-7.png

No one a Longines will tell us what those mean. Company policy is not to discuss how to read the archive pages.
Save the question for when we're over there :) Maybe we can get an answer?

You can ask Longines about your watch, like what kind of dial did it have and sometimes if applicable, was the watch sold to the military. If they know without a doubt, Longines has said so in the past. But it's a whole new team and I no longer have friends on the inside so don't know who to ask now.

Here is the updated chart. Highlighting the ones with "good" extracts in green seems to make more sense than red. I've focused on what appears to be the area of interest for COSD movements. Off to the left are a bunch of 6b/159 serial numbers.

COSD1.png
Edited:

Here's the delema I was talking about. Both are in the range. Which one is the COSD?

upload_2023-9-15_7-36-33.png
upload_2023-9-15_7-46-5.png
Edited:

Why isn’t that a COSD movement ? Is it a Dennison case ?

I think I owe you an apology. It does appear to have been a COSD gold watch. I guess I will have to put it in the table :)upload_2023-9-15_7-58-1.png
Edited:

So I found that. Why is a 1945 movement in a 1957 case.

By the way… I went to great lengths to try and track that watch down last year !

The seller had sold it and couldn’t find a way to connect me to the buyer, as it was sold through an eBay account that he had closed down. But to be certain, it’s a real stretch to imagine this is strongly connected to the COSD. It’s surely just a surplus movement that was sold more than ten years after the COSDs to make a gold watch.

You really view this as a rare COSD watch ? There is literally no connection apart from the movement, and I think it’s most likely the movement was sold off in the 1950s and recased by a non-government business.

I will put it in the table so we have evidence of ambiguous movements.
Why is it ambiguous?

It looks like a correct movement, but was it ordered for the COSD and as you said wasn't used until 1957?
There’s no way to know. Did is start life with a radium-dial and in a tuna-can ? Was it part of a surplus stock (perhaps for planned repairs) that was never used ? Or something in between ?

1946 is when the other assumed good 9ct Gold COSD were made.
upload_2023-9-15_9-11-44.png
upload_2023-9-15_9-13-9.png