Forums Latest Members

SPOT OR A HISTORICAL TOUCH / Omega Pilot

1. BDHD Dec 21, 2019

My Oomega pilot has a stain in the middle of the dial. What do you thing, it give it a historical touch o is just a stain

IMG_9656.jpg IMG_9641.jpg IMG_9647.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  2. Professor Dec 24, 2019

Looks like oil stain from a bit too much lube during a service. I wouldn't give it a second thought. It may just dry up and become invisible over time. Depending on the type of oil.
    I wouldn't disturb the dial trying to clean it.

noelekal likes this.
  3. JacksonPollock Dec 24, 2019

I wouldn't even open the case considering the amount of radium.

4. JwRosenthal Dec 24, 2019

Yeah- looks like oil. Not that I personally would ever attempt it- but would anyone who does watch restoration/ repair professionally weigh in on using something like Naptha or Denatured alcohol on a dial like this to remove the oil without effecting the painted surface? I have worked with fine art conservators that use either as SOP (depending on application) for cleaning oils, tobacco staining, water damage- etc off priceless works of art.

janice&fred likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 25, 2019

Only clean a dial with solvents if you are prepared to destroy it...

Everyone seems to be assuming that the dark patches are stained with oil - to me it looks like those patches are what the dial should look like, and the parts that are less black have something on those areas...almost powder like in appearance. If this watch came to me, I would first use the standard cleaning sticks from Bergeon to lift off any loose dirt, but otherwise would leave this alone.

Cheers, Al

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. janice&fred Dec 25, 2019

we had a good personal friend from new jersey named Joel Mussler who sadly is no longer with us. he was an avid vintage watch collector and fellow member of the military watch forum. he was also involved in art and had good luck using naptha for cleaning up old dials. I have never tried it myself and would hesitate as I have no experience in restoring art work or working with old painted surfaces so for myself I would take Al's expert advice and not touch the dial.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  7. JwRosenthal Dec 25, 2019

That’s what I was getting at. I know how fine art is conserved and restored but obviously watch dials are different materials with different kinds of exposure- just wondering if there was any overlap in techniques.

janice&fred likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Dec 25, 2019

and I have also seen art conservators that use the same approach of simple removal of surface grime with sticky material (like the sticks) and no solvents/ especially on a surface as delicate as true fresco with tempera paints. Many conservators use “enzymatic solution #1” as part of their tool kit- aka saliva.

janice&fred likes this.
  9. janice&fred Dec 25, 2019

yes Jw my reply was to confirm your thoughts on the similar techniques. I also assumed the dark patches on this dial pictured must be some sort of contaminant like oil but Al pointed out the reality. once we look closer at the pics it's clear there are also dark patches of dial within some of the numerals that match the larger dark areas on the inner portions of the dial. so it does appear the dark areas are indeed the original finish.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. JwRosenthal Dec 25, 2019

So the powdery coating is most likely the degeneration of the surface treatment...yikes!

11. Dan S Dec 25, 2019

What a bunch of problem-solvers we are. The OP didn't even ask about cleaning the dial. :D

JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Dec 25, 2019

Someone pulls up with a Jaguar and asks what we think of the pretty paint job, the conversation will invariably lead to talk of transmission leaks and electrical problems. ;)

13. BDHD Jan 27, 2020

Thanks. I was thinking to leave the dial apart and see if with that it dries

14. BDHD Jan 27, 2020

Yeah you are right of course I need to take it to an expert that know better and even more important knows about antiques

15. BDHD Jan 27, 2020

That was my fear. Affect the dial by trying to fix it. According to me, I could damage the color by trying to get a color that I may not notice, but surely that watch looks better with an even dial

16. BDHD Jan 27, 2020

Maybe that could help and is the simple one

17. BDHD Jan 27, 2020

Thanks for that. It makes me feel better with my dial