Forums Latest Members

Anyone buy from cyborn8r or Axelay2003?

1. Dsloan Nov 24, 2019

Hey forum,

Has anyone here bought from Axelay2003 on Watchuseek or cyborn8r on eBay? Just had weird exchange, and trying to figure out what's going on:

I sent an offer to cyborn8r for a LE Sinn on eBay, and got a reply that they could only sell in Germany (no mention of this in the item description, which clearly states seller is looking for CONUS sales). I found the exact same listing on Watchuseek, (same photos and description). I mentioned this to the eBay seller and now he is now telling me the item on Watchuseek is a second copy of the same LE, and if I buy there he can ship to me in the US. Again, the Watchuseek listing has the exact same pictures and description as the eBay listing.

Overall, this seems fishy and confusing. I would appreciate any info the forum has on these seller accounts. Thanks!

Edited Nov 24, 2019
  2. Albe100 Nov 24, 2019

A second copy of the same LE? Or is it the same seller who has the item listed on both platforms? Is there a price difference?

You could always ask for additional photos with a name and specific detail you tell him to write down.

How’s the feedback on the 2 platforms?

But if in doubt, sometimes best to walk away with money in your pocket and peace of mind and wait for the next, more transparent opportunity

WatchCor, Dsloan and Syrte like this.
  3. Dsloan Nov 24, 2019

Seller seems to have a good track record on both platforms, but I am considering just walking away. It takes me way too long to save up this kind of cash. May sleep on it and then ask for more pics as you suggest.

Here's a copy of our most recent exchange:

Seller:
    Hello
    I’m sorry. It’s $2880 brand new exclusively limited to Sinn Germany. Sinn US can’t sell this to US clients due to distributor restrictions. You have to know someone from Germany, buy it for you and ship it to US.

My response:
    Hi, thanks for your message. I am confused. Is this something that you've just recently learned from Sinn? This is not mentioned in the eBay listing. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you have the same item listed on Watchuseek, also without mention of this restriction.

Unfortunately, with no connections in Germany, I'll have to pass.

Best Regards

Seller's response:
    Additionally, I have the Sinn in US. I had it sent to me from a colleague in Germany. For more info, message me in Watchuseek for better price.

Edited Nov 24, 2019
  4. Dan S Nov 24, 2019

IMO, he's trying to steer you to a private sale to avoid eBay fees without saying anything in the eBay message system that could get him in trouble if he is reported. With the high fees and taxes being charged by eBay now, I think people are going to increasingly try to find ways to do this, and eBay will probably also try to crack down.

2tone61, Uniqez, Dsloan and 2 others like this.
  5. Dsloan Nov 24, 2019

That makes sense. Honestly, the price on Watchuseek isn't bad for the item. But, A) I don't have an account there and B) the lack of transparency makes me uneasy. Also C) I've been saving for a new watch for about 6 months, and I'm feeling like I'd rather save for another 3-6 months and pay a premium to know I'm not being scammed.

6. Dan S Nov 24, 2019

If it's a good watch at a good price, from a seller with a history of good reviews on WuS, I wouldn't rule it out. You can ask for custom photos to prove that the seller actually has the watch, and you can pay using PayPal, which gives you protection. I'm not sure what else you will do to avoid being scammed, except for buying from a brick-and-mortar shop or an established dealer. Maybe that's what you are planning. If so, you should stop looking at eBay listings, since many are from private sellers.

Dsloan and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Dsloan Nov 24, 2019

Good food for thought. I appreciate your input on this. Also, upon further reflection, the item is still up on eBay with a buy it now option for only 10% more than my offer. I could just pull the trigger on that and see how he reacts :D.

As for my comment about avoiding scams - yes, I meant buying used from a local AD. Would certainly give me more peace of mind.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 24, 2019

Ask him to Skype with you, so you can see him and the watch.

Dsloan likes this.
  9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 24, 2019

For even more protection fund your PayPal payment with a credit-card.

Dsloan and Dan S like this.
  10. Dsloan Nov 25, 2019

Update: couldn't let the item go. Followed-up up with the seller through Watchuseek and am waiting to receive custom photos. Seems the seller has a long track record with good reviews over there and in eBay. So, as long as he can prove he has the item and accepts PayPal, I think I will proceed with the purchase.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I hope this thread doesn't become a blow-by-blow expose on my being scammed. Buying from strangers online is nerve-wracking, you guys! :eek:

11. Uniqez Nov 25, 2019

Your offer through eBay means that he will pay 10% back to eBay. Same offer on WIS means he would get all the money, if wired or -4% (or whatever paypal charges, if not F&F). What @Dan S said earlier makes perfect sense.

Dsloan likes this.
  12. Dan S Nov 25, 2019

PayPal fees are added to the eBay fees for the eBay purchase, and the buyer will generally pay sales tax as well.

13. Dsloan Nov 28, 2019

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I've got a positive update: I ended up following the seller from eBay over to WUS. He sent some custom photos that allayed my fears, and I ended up proceeding with the purchase. The seller got the watch to me within 24 hours, and he had impeccable communication, first-rate documentation of the packing process, and threw in a ton of freebies (including 6 extra straps!) to boot.

I think you can buy with confidence from this seller. He made my first online private purchase a great experience. I don't think he's a member on OF, but he is active on eBay, WUS, and a couple other forums. Guess I should add this to the seller refer section now.

Pic of the watch:

IMG_20191128_135840.jpg

wx_073, Uniqez, BlackTalon and 6 others like this.