Forums Latest Members

UK, but don't want to buy from eBay! Anyone help?

1. blacktiger Apr 2, 2017

I know it's bad, but I have seen WAY too many pieces on eBay that look great, but there is always something wrong with, getting lucky with a great piece on eBay is, of course, tricky...for now....I've decided to buy from the OF forum, not only will I be safe in the hands of the fellow members, but I know for sure the quality I will be getting!

Now for my question, I suppose! I know there is a forum specifically for this, but I don't want to pester admin just to post one question on what I'm looking for.

Looking for a UK based member on OF who is selling some or even one of their watches, would love to have a look if so! I'd feel much happier purchasing from someone also based in the UK for my first purchase.

If anyone can help or direct me to someone they know, I would be so grateful!

If the post needs to be moved to a more suitable forum, that's no problem!

Thanks guys!

- Dan

Fritz likes this.
  2. davidswiss Apr 2, 2017

I've messaged you.

3. Davidt Apr 2, 2017

Just be careful with some of the pm's you may get from this thread Daniel (this isn't directed at @davidswiss).

Certain undesirables may message you and take advantage of your inexperience by offering watches that aren't up to scratch.

Just do your due diligence, check references and be wary of very new members with no history on the forum.

adi4 and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  4. blacktiger Apr 2, 2017

Thanks David, yes will do. Would always check feedback and other experience the seller has had with members from here before even considering it. :)

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2017

Definitely don't wire any money, make sure if there is a deal its face to face if its local or paypal if it isn't. eBay might be intimidating but its buyer protections can often be a saving grace particularly for new buyers, once they work out how to avoid the swamp of redials and badly dealer prepped watches.

adi4, nonuffinkbloke and blacktiger like this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 2, 2017

There are still gems out there on eBay, just do your due diligence by posting them on the forum.

7. blacktiger Apr 2, 2017

I've certainly improved when it comes to picking up redials and non-originals so that's not as big of a problem, however I will always post on here first!

8. blacktiger Apr 2, 2017

When it comes to purchasing off of OF, is it better to sometimes buy from eBay as I'm protected?

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 2, 2017

+1
    Daniel, although there are many people here I would trust blindly, the best is to be careful and do your due diligence no matter who you deal with -- even with people who do have a history here.
    I can recall at least two instances on two other well known forums, where some members had to go public with astonishing grievances after they had dealt with well established and respected collectors.

adi4, nonuffinkbloke and Jwit like this.
  10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 2, 2017

Ebay is a great source as long as you are patient and do your due diligence. I look for value in comparison to past sales and a couple of other things I will not mention because I am sure members here will think I am crazy.

Edited Apr 3, 2017
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 2, 2017

We are all a bit crazy to the outside world.

12. WatchVaultNYC Apr 2, 2017

Ebay is a safe place as long as you know the rules of the sandbox.

Foo2rama and Davidt like this.
  13. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 2, 2017

Hello @danielhurst. Yes I can sympathise with your concerns. It also works the same way for an Inexperienced owner who decides to sell a watch. Not so much with regard to the quality of the item, I was thinking more about the actual financial transaction.

We have this rather strange situation where we buy and sell items that are valued in multiples of 1000's of dollars or pounds based on photographic evidence. The more I think about it the crazier it sounds. I can't think of anything else, of that value, that I would purchase on that basis. It scares the 'shite' out of me,:eek: but it's normal practise here and seems to work OK for experienced members.

I have never bought or sold any watches on this forum or any other so, as such, I have no reputation good or bad. Even though I contribute all sorts of 'old cobblers' on this forum, I am still an 'unknown person'. Many of our members are long term, serious collectors. As such they may have built up a good reputation over several years. Obviously, a new member cannot offer this kind of assurance to a buyer.

I do believe, however, that if a new member demonstrates a measure of transparency about themselves, and the item they are selling, this can offer a degree of reassurance to a purchaser. I can see why a collector needs to be security conscious, but If they are overly vague about themselves, or the watches they are selling, that has got to be a red flag to a prospective buyer. That's why I like the way the sales sections on this forum are managed. Items for sale are on view to all members including our experts and moderators. Any obvious misrepresentations can be quickly picked up by experienced members.

You mentioned that you live in the UK. Are you able to get in to London? If so, you could contact @tyrantlizardrex and ask if you could attend the 'time for a pint' meet ups. (I think Chris stipulates that you bring at least one watch). I live in Dorset so I'm hoping to do this myself at some point. It would provide an opportunity to meet forum members face to face and maybe get some advice about how to go about buying.
    cheers Jonathan.

Edited Apr 2, 2017
  14. blacktiger Apr 3, 2017

HI Jonathan,

Thank your for the reply, really enjoyed reading it! I'm getting to grips with the buying side, maybe one day I'll have a collection good enough so that I can sell some of my older pieces to make room for a new model. In terms of getting into London don't think it will happen for a while as I'm a while away from there. Just going to enjoy listening to the @tyrantlizardrex podcasts in the meantime! In terms of security I would only ever purchase from a reputable seller on the forum, I take back my "don't want to buy from eBay" as that was a bit of an exaggeration, as I am of course open to purchasing from eBay, the seller protection makes it easier of course....seller protection is ALMOST as good as the members ganging up on any of the scammers found on OF...almost as good....almost. ;)

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  15. davidswiss Apr 3, 2017

I know you live in darkest Doncaster but I'd echo Jonathans recommendation to try to attend the time4apint meetings in London. Maybe you could explain what sort of thing you're interested in, bumper movements, seamasters, dress watches etc. and you could meet someone with something in your price range that he or she wants to sell. Meeting and talking is always the best way in my opinion.

blacktiger likes this.
  16. adi4 Apr 3, 2017

Also please keep in mind that while we have many established, trusted members here and their reputation is unimpeachable, their account passwords may not be. Always always make sure you're talking to and buying from who you think it is, or at least just be aware that it happens.

Edward53 and blacktiger like this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 3, 2017

You do need to be more specific on what you are actually looking for. Just asking for any old Omega vastly increases the chances of getting ripped off at worst or more likely buying something that the buyer can't shift elsewhere at an over inflated price. I am UK based and have several pieces I might consider selling but it would be a waste of your time and the sellers if you expect them to send you a constant stream of pictures and details since inevitably many styles wont be to your taste.

blacktiger, adi4 and ConElPueblo like this.
  18. blacktiger Apr 3, 2017

19. blacktiger Apr 3, 2017

The reason for me not specifying a style is simply becasue I want to see what is out there. For me, its more about getting a good watch for the price. Course style comes into so here goes :) Really into some of the Seamaster range and the Connie range, as well as the UG Polerouter and Longine Heritage (1954 to be more specific) Would prefer a piece that was on or suited a brown leather strap, so the face I would like to be champang coloured or rose gold perhaps, as these work really well on brown straps.

The perfect watch: Omega Seamster (not too bothered on the year nor the cal.) in good condition, with a champagne dial on a brown calf/lizard strap....I think, would need to see it first, of course, haha.

20. blacktiger Apr 3, 2017

(sorry about posting twice, don't know what happened with that quote!) :)