Forums Latest Members

Any red flags on this 1938 Longines?

1. rondeaux Jan 4, 2020

I'm in love with these 30s and 40s applied dials and wide, flat bezel cases. (some call them "coin edge" cases, but I'm not sure that's correct) I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one below and I'm looking for a few second opinions before I do. FWIW, the asking price is 1100 euro.

I understand the dial is well patina'd (or damaged, depending on your tastes). My concerns are mostly about originality of the dial and case. I haven't found anything with this dial and case combination in the old catalogs but the hands seem correct for the style. Also, I haven't seen the signature before "B. Bernasconi - Milano." It looks like they used to be a jeweler/silversmith in Milan. The Longines font weight seems slightly lighter to my eye. Does that indicate the signature was not added at the factory, or just at a different time?

Thanks in advance for the help!

DSC_0793.jpg DSC_0798.jpg DSC_0799.jpg DSC_0800.jpg DSC_0801.jpg DSC_0804.jpg DSC_5296.jpg DSC_5297.jpg
    BlueHands and Larry S like this.
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 4, 2020

Firstly, dial looks original. Secondly, I see no reason to think that the case is not correct. However, the condition of the dial means that this watch is way over priced. I have not seen another Longines that is co-signed "B. Bernasconi - Milano" but this would be a strange detail to falsify. I have seen others marked "Giudici - Milano". Not sure when the co-signature would have been added but it does appear thicker. I would want to confirm with the archive that this watch originally went to Italy before considering it. Lastly, the crown is wrong.

minutenrohr likes this.
  3. Dan S Jan 4, 2020

I agree with @DirtyDozen12. That's a crazy price for a terrible dial.

4. rondeaux Jan 4, 2020

Thanks @DirtyDozen12 and @Dan S . I should have added this is a 32mm case, serviced with 1 yr warranty, and comes with an extract. See below. It was invoiced to Italy, but to Ostersetzer, not B. Bernasconi. Is that odd? What would be a reasonable price under these conditions?

DSC_0960.jpg

5. Dan S Jan 4, 2020

Given the very small size and badly damaged dial, any potential issues with the double-signed dial are moot IMO. The watch has only nominal value, basically whatever small amount that someone would be willing to pay. The market for this watch is very small. If it were put up for auction on eBay, I'm not sure it would make $100. The dial is basically a write-off, some a buyer would either want the other parts, or it would be someone who's willing to look for a replacement dial.

DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. Kbjohn Jan 5, 2020

The dial is original. Ostersetzer would have acted as the importer and the smaller jewellery store would have added the dial stamp them selves, and retailed to the public. Very common in this time.

Given the small size and, in my opinion, very ugly/dirty dial, 1100€ is 2x-3x over priced.

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 5, 2020

I've seen several other examples with this dial /case combo and have no reason to doubt it.
    Agree with @DirtyDozen12 on the question about Bernasconi on the dial.
    Taking into account the dial damage, this should not be worth more than 150 euros. (value of parts)