Forums Latest Members

Any OF Members also Tesla Owners?

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 25, 2020

Where do you live? What is your driving profile? What is important to you in a car?

mid personally take a 535d over an S. Way nicer interior less price plenty of vroom to surprise the kids. Dead silent and good mpg.

the Tesla interior is not very good... decent tech but that’s it. Drives surprisingly well. What’s odd is I cannot sit in the back of a model S as there is not enough headroom. I can easily sit in the back of my M3.... figure that out.

Edited Jan 25, 2020
    noelekal and marco like this.
  2. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Jan 25, 2020

Not quite the same but an argument that could apply to you as well. The reason for me not to go Tesla yet and get myself an M135i instead was that the electric future is inevitable, but the chance to drive a real, roaring powerhouse will disappear. If you feel you haven’t sufficiently enjoyed that chance quite yet, you know what to do.

marco and Foo2rama like this.
  3. larryganz The cable guy Jan 25, 2020

When I'm watching car VLOGs I'm seeing Tesla owners who have been in a car accident going 3-4 months without a car, because Tesla is slow at supplying parts for body shops to do the repairs. Tesla will only allow the shop to order parts based on what they can see is damaged, so when they dig into the car and find more things are broken underneath then they can place a second order.

4. funkright Jan 25, 2020

Umm... Car guy here.. 9 months in and that feeling has yet to fad. It's the only car that the 'fun to drive feeling' hasn't left and has actually gotten stronger. Every owner I've ever talked with continues to rave months and, and now years, after their initial purchase.

JBF1957 and jhross98 like this.
  5. jhross98 Jan 25, 2020

+1

I drove high performance s and m audis and bmws for years.. Totalled my s7 a year ago and switched to the model s.

No the fit and finish isnt the same as a bmw but the tech literally is years ahead of everyone else.. No other car brand do you get software updates so the car actually improves over time.. They throw in new Easter eggs like car karaoke my kids go nuts for, and it's an incredible car to drive. There is nothing like the acceleration of a top electric car. Every other car you get in feels slow.

My answer would only change if you actually want to race / track the car consistently.. But then a 550 won't do it you'll need the m5

6. Evose Jan 25, 2020

That's awesome. I'm glad you like it and hasn't faded for you. I just couldn't see myself driving it daily for years, in its current state. The other thing, I was constantly speeding without realizing it, it really easy to get carried away on that car without the sound of an exhaust/engine.

I might be tempted after they introduce a more sophisticated interior with a proper armrest.

7. Walrus Jan 25, 2020

Interesting, how do you owners find service on Tesla’s? No matter how you feel about them they are certainly growing and I see more and more of them on the road. Even the cybertruck which was st first a laughing stock is having decent orders. I’ve read Tesla performs some service/repairs at peoples homes. It takes a well to train technicians and build service centers and I’m curious how that side is working. It seems everyone I’ve talked to who has one had said they will never go back to an ICE or anything but Tesla but that is a very small sample of owners I’ve talked to. Many have said it’s the “perfect car”

8. drhombus24 Jan 25, 2020

Service has definitely improved a lot since the model 3 came out and more cars were put on the road. Before the model 3 you’d have to be lucky to talk to a competent service tech. Tesla was really scrounging for cash and perhaps was just hiring whoever they could. Now I’ve noticed the service experience and speed of repairs is much better, but still not as good as competitors. It’s getting there though.

Walrus likes this.
  9. Capt Cave Man Jan 25, 2020

I've decided to sell my toys this year, a Lotus Elise and Elan M100 simply as I just can't justify them sitting on the drive as I ferry the kids around in the family wagons, at least they will provide funds for some more wrist pieces ::facepalm2::

We also have an S-Max and Fiesta, two of the kids are starting to learn this year and will want their own soon enough so considering going down the e-route for our next main car in a year or three.

10. ras47 Jan 26, 2020

I just got a Subaru Outback, but I was strongly considering a Tesla. I chose the Subaru because of the weather we get here in the northeast. Plus I've wanted a Subaru for decades but have been driving the wife's hand-me-downs. One thing to keep in mind with the Tesla is it's not just transportation. It's a new technology platform. Your Tesla is ALWAYS communicating with the mothership. Data gathered on every aspect of every driver's usage has led to improvements to the algorithms that control functions.

How many of you Tesla owners found the "Don't Fear the Reaper" Easter egg those whacky engineers included?

11. Walrus Jan 26, 2020

Off topic but Tesla reports this week. It will be interesting to see the numbers. If it’s in the red boy stock could tank, if it beats expectations maybe see 600? It’ll be interesting to see

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2020

I'm still on my old E46 as the straight six + stick shift just appeals too much for me. I don't know what my next car will be yet but considering selling down some watches and getting either an aircooled 911 or something along those lines. It will be slow, old and have a manual box as I live in the CBD now and don't need a daily driver, only a weekend fun car.

The Tesla unfortunately renders any AMG or M car intended purely to go fast rather redundant, yet the interior even on the model S feels very high tech yet poor design and finish, I can see the Taycan being the fast electric that has a nice interior but each generation of electric for the next few years is going to totally eclipse the last.

Which brings me back to aircooled 911s, E30/E34/E46 manual M cars, possibly even a 360 with a gated shifter, something that is all about the experience rather than pure speed. I wear old mechanical watches not modern quartz even though I know quartz is cheaper and more accurate, I feel the same way about cars.

13. ATWG Jan 26, 2020

I tried to like the Model 3, but after 2 test drives I just didn't connect with the car, simply didn't love it enough to fork out $45K. After the test drive, I had the biggest smile on my face driving home in my E91. Love the simple yet classic display, the tight finish all around and most importantly, the great connection and responsiveness one feels behind the wheel. The car has been trouble-free after 10 years of ownership and is truly a joy to drive. I couldn't pull the trigger when the cars were relatively cheaper due to the Fed & Local state subsidies, certainly won't do it any time soon with them now expired.

I'm not opposed to owning an electric car in the future, for me at least the time isn't ripe yet.

14. Evose Jan 26, 2020

I might pick up the F80 when the G80 gets released in 2021. I had paperwork signed and in-hand and decided to pass. I'm not ready for spaceships.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 26, 2020

Preach!

Ive been looking for the right air cooled 911 and sell my e46m. The experience matters.

note about the 360... get the 430. The service costs alone make the 430 a better deal. The timing belt service on the 360 and earlier is a killler. The 430 doesn’t need that engine out service ( or remove the interior) every 2 years regardless of miles.

16. Toishome Jan 26, 2020

Been 4 months since I got my Model 3 Performance and I would never want to drive an ICE car again. I gave my Mercedes C43 to my wife as her car was getting older. Once in a while, she wants to switch cars and the thought of getting back in that car makes me sick. She is liking it so much she reserved a model Y.
    Tesla is far from being perfect but I would take it over my old C43 any time of the day. Comfortable ride, better handling, endless technology and 2.9 Seconds :D

prontoprint and Walrus like this.
  17. Wryfox May 18, 2023

Reviving this thread as I am about to join the Teslarati with a Model S today.

Nervous as it is my first EV. Actually my wife fell in love with it. Friends tell me it's an excellent car but they've already drunk the koolaid being EV diehards already.

Anybody comment on your experience? 20230518_064705.jpg

Toishome likes this.
  18. zedlebowski May 18, 2023

Congrats on the new wheels! Enjoy it!
    I'm no Tesla fanboy, but was very happy with a 2012 Model S I picked up in 2017. Subsequently traded in for a Model Y during the pandemic to get the longer range and improved battery management in cold weather (heat pump). I've found the supercharger network to make owning an EV pretty easy. The rare times I've needed service, I used their mobile technicians - I'm over 2 hours away from a service center, so that has been helpful. I've had a 80 911 C4, Mazdaspeed Miata, M Roadster, and 289 and 351W Mustangs as a few examples. For sport driving, I'd say the M Roadster was my favorite. But the Tesla is a solid fun car and I'm very happy with it - only miss driving a manual on occasion.

Wryfox likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 18, 2023

Have to say that does look quite nice front on, we see so many model 3s around here now that they outnumber Toyotas and Hondas and the front end looks so bad, the facelifted S is light years more elegant and aggressive.

Wryfox likes this.
  20. Wryfox May 18, 2023

Well, well, we could be brothers, I've also owned Miatas, M roadster, and Mustang(Shelby tuned to 700hp). M roadster was a blast and looked awesome. Went through my German phase with an M Roadster, 740IL, 740I Sport, and Mercedes E55 AMG(tuned to 650hp). In terms of luxury, the 740IL was supreme. Also have F250 and two Jeep Wranglers. An eclectic bunch.

The Tesla will be as far out as I've ever had. Very good to hear the 2012 was a success, that's early in the run. This new one is quite refined, but very high tech. Biggest concern is my wife, who seems to have magical powers to destroy electronics....:p