Forums Latest Members

Any OF Members also Tesla Owners?

1. jrhave2 Jan 20, 2020

I've been working on getting a new car for a few months, and have it narrowed down to a couple of choices. I'm struggling a bit and looking for some real-life experience from like minded individuals - such as yourselves! I appreciate art/design, craft and build quality; all of the things that attracted me to collecting watches. Right now I'm looking at either a BMW M550i X Drive, or a Tesla Model S. I'm in Finance, so it's not lost on me that the long-term decision to buy a Tesla makes more sense (for many reasons), but the visceral experience I get when driving the BMW with the twin turbo V8 is making it hard for me to pull the trigger on the Tesla. The build quality and intangibles of the BMW are also unarguably better than the Tesla. Any Tesla owners who took the plunge and never regretted it?

For me, this is not unlike my decision to recently buy either a '69 Navitimer 806, or the new 2020 version that was right next to it in the case. The watchmaker could not understand why I would want the 806, and did all he could to talk me out of it (warranty, shock proof, etc...). In the end, the new version just didn't feel the same, or elicit the same emotion. HELP!?!?

2. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 20, 2020

Drive a TESLA first.

the Telsa is fast. 60mph in 2.9 seconds

no vrooom though

charging infrastructure pretty much let’s you go anywhere now

Plugging it in at home every night and not spending $80-100 for gasoline

BMW is more pleasing to the eye

TESLA is kinda generic looking

my youngest kid had a 700hp Subaru. Racing a TESLA was always a challenge

PiaGodoy, Matty01 and larryganz like this.
  3. jrhave2 Jan 20, 2020

I have driven both - a few times now! :) You're absolutely right, the TESLA is fast in a totally different way - instant torque. One other thing I forgot to mention - I have charging stations at work. I wouldn't even have to charge it at home. On paper this is easy, but I just can't seem to get there...

marco likes this.
  4. funkright Jan 20, 2020

Bought our Tesla and haven't looked back. Well, except to see Bimmers in my rear view mirror as they eat my dust.. ::bleh::

watchthinker, Toishome and jrhave2 like this.
  5. fbf Jan 20, 2020

Tesla all the way. maybe wait for upgraded version of model S coming out?
    Tesla is at least 10 years ahead of any other competitors. Charging network alone is unparalleled
    my friend left his 911 turbo in the garage for show only, drives his model 3 and model x daily

funkright likes this.
  6. flw history nerd Jan 20, 2020

I'd get the BMW. Like our common affinity for mechanical watches, buying a car with an internal combustion engine is a nod to heritage and nostalgia, while Tesla represents the future. They're awesome - my son was test driving a Model 3 this past weekend, and he's been a fan for a few years. But the BMW is a car. The Tesla is a space pod with wheels. Drive a real car while you still can.

Just my 2 cents.

noelekal and marco like this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 20, 2020

The same answer I gave the Weber sisters on prom night.........."Both"!

Seriously, buy the no-brainer and save up for a vintage BMW to go with your watch.
    You won't cry when you get a door dent on the Tesla at work.

ChrisRid, Matty01, noelekal and 5 others like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 20, 2020

I have friends with model S and 3 .... they are madly in love.

9. GadgetGuy88 Jan 20, 2020

Bought a Tesla 3 "stealth" at the end of the year. It was an easy decision (to sell the 5 year old LR4). It's basically Ferrari fast. Not as attractive as the S, that's for sure. Actually, I'm not fond of the exterior of the 3. -Don't hate it, just not fond. I also have a 997 and let me tell you, the Tesla is the rocket. Having had my share of Bimmers, I'm sure you can find folks who will share the overall quality declines in BMWs. Having tiny panel gaps is not an indicator of much underneath, sadly.

fbf likes this.
  10. jrhave2 Jan 21, 2020

All of you are verifying my concerns - thanks for all the great advice! Having an 8 year, unlimited power-train warranty is hard to compete with when I look at the 8 year reliability numbers for the BMW. Like I said, on paper there is only one answer. Just had to get my heart to agree with my head. Now I can take the gas savings and funnel that to my watch fund! :cool:

GadgetGuy88 likes this.
  11. lillatroll Jan 22, 2020

My brother in law swapped his 7 series BMW for a Tesla. He is very happy with it. He covers a lot of miles in his job and apart from the economic benefits he says it's a nice drive. If he wants some noise he takes his Duccati for a spin.

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 22, 2020

One of my best friends clients (who can afford pretty much anything) bought a Model S when they first came out, loves it, except he says it has no soul, he still has his E34 M5...

13. Wryfox Jan 22, 2020

I have owned or driven the following sports cars the past couple of years; Shelby GT500, a BMW M4, a model S, and a model 3:

Shelby: Brute F'in force, man. VERY visceral experience. Screw the radio, the engine is music and makes your heart pound as the adrenaline flows. Absolutely unforgettable.
    M4: Smooth and refined slingshot...turbos kick in and then whoa! Very quiet and insulated, except for engine when you want it. Expensive for what it is.
    Model S: Awkward at first, power is explosive, smooth and quiet. Kind of unsettling but I can see falling in love easily.
    Model 3: Less of everything the S has but same feel.

My favorite: Shelby, but the lack of refinement got to me after a while.

Edited Jan 23, 2020
  14. Petervl Jan 22, 2020

No, I am an environmentalist, I buy the BMW every day………...

noelekal and marco like this.
  15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 22, 2020

Some smart guy could develop an APP to connect to the sound system of the Tesla to give you the vrooomm vroom when getting on it

16. lindo Jan 22, 2020

Could go one step further and connect the vroom vroom to external speakers to confuse the masses.

17. mswilks Jan 22, 2020

Here's an interesting observation ... I looked at both about a year ago and ended up buying a barely used (3,000 miles over 3 years????) Mercedes S-Class Coupe. The Tesla did appeal on a couple dimensions, but I went the other way.

Since buying the car, I've had probably 7-8 people ask me specifically if it's a Tesla. At a minimum, that shows that the brand is on people's minds these days.

18. funkright Jan 22, 2020

The best combo I have right now... :D:D:D:D:D:D

IMG_4569.jpg
    Toishome likes this.
  19. funkright Jan 22, 2020

Best bang for the buck right now is the Dual Motor Model 3 :cool: There is, effectively, no BMW or Mercedes or 'insert car brand here' that can touch its performance off the line under a 150,000$USD. We have a reservation in for the Y and Cybertruck, will decide which once the Y launches :confused:

fbf likes this.
  20. Evose Jan 24, 2020

I recently had both brands for the weekend. P100D with ludicrous mode+ and F80 M3. I can say the feeling the Tesla gave when accelerating is unlike anything I have ever felt. 700hp was too much and the back wheels nearly gave out, I giggled. It’s pretty extraordinary how simple and silent the car feels while at the same time being a viscous beast on the road.

M3. The sound. The car is noticeably slower. More sluggish. Can’t compete with AWD. But the RWD leaves you wanting more. It’s a visceral driving experience and although it’s not as fast it feels more raw. The competition package is a must.

If you’re a car guy like myself. Don’t buy the Tesla. The feelings fades quick. It was a crush. I’m in love with the sound and driving experience of real cars. Tesla is a remarkable brand and will continue to innovate staying ahead of the copycats, but it won’t make you turn around every time you lock her. Just my experience. Good luck in your decision, both are great cars.