Any news on @Alpha

Posts
9,228
Likes
76,848
I appreciate that the Mods do so much on this site and that it’s onerous to ask them to do more but, as @JimInOz posts, his address is known and they will probably have his name, from the direct debit account if not elsewhere.

That said, they will have a data protection obligation not to disclose any of the details and, as a consequence, the Mods are probably the only ones able to write to the address or 'care of' the bank from which the standing order was paid.

I can’t imagine any other option.
 
Posts
10,996
Likes
54,852
I feel bad about alpha. IMO he had the finest watch collection on OF. He always took the time to tell me what a particular model he had on if I DM him and even the back story behind the watch.
I’ll hold back any speculation as even with bad signs I’ve seen weird things happen and just say I hope he is doing as well as he can be regardless of whatever journey he took. Thanks alpha for all those brief talks we had and thanks for showing off the beautiful collection daily.
 
Posts
4,855
Likes
12,276
I admire Alpha most for his obvious love of family and dogs, and his positive good nature. Secondarily, his sense for watch collecting. He had some great high dollar pieces, but he was never too snobby for a bargain piece (especially if it was a gift from a family member).
 
Posts
35,639
Likes
39,893
I appreciate that the Mods do so much on this site and that it’s onerous to ask them to do more but, as @JimInOz posts, his address is known and they will probably have his name, from the direct debit account if not elsewhere.

That said, they will have a data protection obligation not to disclose any of the details and, as a consequence, the Mods are probably the only ones able to write to the address or 'care of' the bank from which the standing order was paid.

I can’t imagine any other option.
We did use the information we had to probe as much as we were able to, including business records and property transactions, we just didn’t get a lead that tells us anything definitive nor were we able to find a family member we could get in touch with
 
Posts
9,228
Likes
76,848
We did use the information we had to probe as much as we were able to, including business records and property transactions, we just didn’t get a lead that tells us anything definitive nor were we able to find a family member we could get in touch with
I had imagined that you would have done anything possible and I’m sure that all OF members appreciate your efforts. Thanks 🙏
 
Posts
521
Likes
3,656
How terribly sad. I looked at old posts in the pet lovers thread. The beagles nearly made me cry. Wherever he is, I hope his wee boys are with him, playing and carrying sticks and all. Very sad.
 
Posts
389
Likes
1,556
Hi all,

Being rather a ‘non active’ member these days I was very sad to have recently seen this post.

Stuart is such a lovely chap and obviously much loved on this forum and such a help to many I’m sure.

I managed to source a watch for his daughter many years ago so reading this I’ve sent a message a few weeks ago to his private email address but unfortunately have had no response so I fear the worst.🙁
Obviously if I do hear anything I will post it here.

It’s been such a long time that I’ve posted on the forum, my small watch collection has sat dormant in my safe, not looked at for years, I’d somehow lost my enthusiasm for a lot of stuff when I lost my job a few years before retiring, maybe it’s time to try and reignite my interest…..maybe.

Nice to see a lot of the old established members are still here and many new ones as well.

Cheers all 👍
 
Posts
389
Likes
1,556
Just a bit more information from me about this sad thread.

I found Stuart’s phone number where we messaged each other on WhatsApp when I was more active as a collector.

His WhatsApp account has been closed so I really think the initial fears about his welfare may be looking sadly true.

I have messaged the number via iMessage which failed but it’s been sent as a text with no reply atm.

I just don’t feel comfortable phoning that number as it may look like an intrusion on their privacy but if a Mod feels inclined to want to try, I’m happy to pass that on in that instance.

Regards

Mike
Edited:
 
Posts
389
Likes
1,556
Well I’m very happy to say that I have good news!

Stuart’s daughter messaged me back to say that he is ok and just taking a little time out and away from the forum at the moment.

I told her that everyone was worried about his sudden disappearance as he is without doubt one of the most loved people that post on here! I’m sure she will pass that on 😊

Hopefully he will be back at some stage.
 
Posts
5,426
Likes
81,941
Excellent work @Spike I am sure you have made a great number of people happy.
Me for one, more than just a watch forum❤️😁
 
Posts
2,347
Likes
18,704
Well I’m very happy to say that I have good news!

Stuart’s daughter messaged me back to say that he is ok and just taking a little time out and away from the forum at the moment.

I told her that everyone was worried about his sudden disappearance as he is without doubt one of the most loved people that post on here! I’m sure she will pass that on 😊

Hopefully he will be back at some stage.
This has made my weekend. 👍🏻
 
Posts
1,581
Likes
12,610
Maybe it would be worth considering some kind of voluntary emergency contact system for members? Anyone who feels comfortable could privately provide a contact person (family member, partner, close friend, etc.) to a moderator. If that member ever disappeared for an unusually long time and there was real concern for their wellbeing, the contact could be reached to simply confirm that they’re okay. Obviously, it would be completely voluntary and the information would have to be kept private and only used in exceptional circumstances.
 
Posts
18,730
Likes
38,879
Maybe it would be worth considering some kind of voluntary emergency contact system for members? Anyone who feels comfortable could privately provide a contact person (family member, partner, close friend, etc.) to a moderator. If that member ever disappeared for an unusually long time and there was real concern for their wellbeing, the contact could be reached to simply confirm that they’re okay. Obviously, it would be completely voluntary and the information would have to be kept private and only used in exceptional circumstances.
I think a better option would be for a member to provide their "power of attorney" person with their Ω ID and password etc so that in the event a member going off radar for some reason, the POA person would be able to notify the forum.

This has happened recently and a family member was able to log on and update us.

I know many members are too young to start thinking about writing wills etc, but I think everyone should have a list of "things to be done in the event I'm unable to" and let their parent/partner/lawyer/other know of the list.
Not just ΩF, there are many things internet wise that would be impacted, as well as other bits of their life that need attending to.