Another watch from my late father

Received another one of my dad’s watches today. Timex Electric that I know nothing about. Probably a 70’s model, but I’m not sure. It is worth far more in sentimental value than money. It’ll need a good cleaning, crystal, and new battery. If anyone knows of something else I should do before wearing it, please chime in.

It was the gift of a 1952 Omega Seamaster in September (currently being serviced), first my grandfather’s, then my dad’s, now mine, that started me down this winding path. I also have his old Waltham. I’ll forever be grateful for my dad for more reasons than I can count. I’ll add an obsession with watches to the list now.

Some of these Timex electromechanical watches had German movements that might be serviceable. I believe @Canuck knows something about these.

Some of these Timex electromechanical watches had German movements that might be serviceable. I believe @Canuck knows something about these.
I was working up the courage to take the back off of it to see how it was put together. There is a nice indentation that should allow me to pop it…

The earliest Timex Electric watches used Durowe (German) battery movements. That would have been in the early 1960s. Timex went with the Durowe movement while they went to work and designed and built a battery movement of their own. That movement was not nearly the movement that the Durowe was, but it suited Timex because it was cheap to produce. I suspect the subject watch is one of their own in-house (cheap) electric movements. Hard to be sure without an image of the movement. If it is the in-house movement, you have to hope it only needs a cell. I don’t know if anyone works on the Timex-made movement.

The earliest Timex Electric watches used Durowe (German) battery movements. That would have been in the early 1960s. Timex went with the Durowe movement while they went to work and designed and built a battery movement of their own. That movement was not nearly the movement that the Durowe was, but it suited Timex because it was cheap to produce. I suspect the subject watch is one of their own in-house (cheap) electric movements. Hard to be sure without an image of the movement. If it is the in-house movement, you have to hope it only needs a cell. I don’t know if anyone works on the Timex-made movement.
Thanks. Give me a few and I’ll get a look inside and post a pic or two.

Here is as deep as I dare to go.

I think the next step is to pop in a new $3 battery and see how it runs. Might not need any servicing in the first place. Some reasonably deep scratches on the crystal but a good once over with some polywatch would make a big difference

That is an in-house Timex movement. I think this might be the relevant manual:

https://archive.org/details/servicemanualtimexmodel40/mode/2up

Yes! That is the in-house Timex Electric. I’ll show a picture of the Durowe (Germany) electric. Note the Durowe movement is marked TIMEX. Timex bought Durowe which was eventually acquired by SSIH, I believe.

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_1973.jpeg

The firm U S TIME in this screen grab is the parent firm of Timex. They bought Durowe because of the battery movement shown.
Edited:

Yes! That is the in-house Timex Electric. I’ll show a picture of the Durowe (Germany) electric. Note the Durowe movement is marked TIMEX. Timex bought Durowe which was eventually acquired by SSIH, I believe.

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_1973.jpeg

The firm U S TIME in this screen grab is the parent firm of Timex. They bought Durowe because of the battery movement shown.
Movement come out the from or the back? If the back, I’m gonna have to remove the stem and the large piece covering the movement. In the meantime, it’s received a pretty good cleaning on the outside. I’ll polywatch and throw in a new battery tomorrow. If it works, I’ll put it on a nato strap and wear the heck out of it.

Movement come out the from or the back? If the back, I’m gonna have to remove the stem and the large piece covering the movement. In the meantime, it’s received a pretty good cleaning on the outside. I’ll polywatch and throw in a new battery tomorrow. If it works, I’ll put it on a nato strap and wear the heck out of it.

Front or back? No idea.

New battery was a didn’t get this old bird ticking. Gave it an honest cleaning and an honest bid. I’ll drop it in the watch box of memories and pick it up from time to time and ponder my dad’s memory.