Forums Latest Members

Alert: Major Theft To Report

1. ReturnOfUltraman Nov 1, 2019

Adam,

I have more socks than I know what to do with, some totally unworn. PM if you want, and I’ll send you a few on me. I have plenty of funky color/themed ones if you’re into those.

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Nov 2, 2019

I have this news up on Instagram with your photo montage, but it would be more easily found and useful if the watch names and serials etc, along with hashtags were all worked out. Has all that text been compiled?

3. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 2, 2019

Has a detective been assigned to your case?

I still say Go Fund a PI for the OF victim.

$100 waiting to go.

Shankified, Togri v. 2.0 and DaveK like this.
  4. abrod520 Nov 2, 2019

Strangely I don't really care that someone was in my apartment - I live alone so nobody else is in danger. I just feel like everything I've worked for over the past decade or so is gone. It feels like a bad dream.

Hah thanks man, funny thing is most of those socks were pretty worn and some even had started to develop holes. I had actually been planning on Black Fridaying myself some new socks but just moved up the purchase. I do appreciate the offer though :)

In addition to the Stories, I've put up permanent posts with serial numbers in the image, as well as all pertinent information and hashtags in the caption. I'm not an expert Instagrammer though so if you have any suggestions on how to better set those photos up, I appreciate it.

Yes, but the police department in Oakland is stretched extremely thin and have to prioritize violent crimes etc. I appreciate the PI idea, but don't know how much that'd help. Unless anyone knows someone who specializes in asset recovery and who will work for private citizens (not just retailers or law firms).

Shankified likes this.
  5. saulgoodman Nov 2, 2019

I have worked with many PI's over the years. There are two types. The quality PI's are the ones who are retired law enforcement officers who served distinguished careers and then moved on to private investigation. Many of them specialized in theft investigations in their former jobs. The second type of PI's are the non former law enforcement types that simply decided to go into the field. IMO stay away from them.

To answer your question, while PI's do work for attorneys and insurance companies, etc., they definitely also work for private citizens as well, and many of them specialize in asset recovery. A PI can look into the security camera issues and give you tips on how to expedite obtaining the videos if possible in your state. Be ready to pay a couple of hundred per hour for the services of a good PI. As they say, you get what you pay for, but the PI's I have worked with who were mostly retired feds, have been very effective.

As for locating one, they usually advertise online. A quick google should do it. Make sure and interview him/her before you commit to determine their background, experience, and what they can do for you. Most quality PI's will give you a free consultation and will not be quick to take your money if they feel what you are asking for is not doable. Good luck!

Shankified likes this.
  6. MRC Nov 2, 2019

Ex LEO
    chinatown-final.jpeg

Self-taught:
    17916.bin.jpeg

Shankified and TJH like this.
  7. abrod520 Nov 4, 2019

No news yet but still trying everything I can. I'm not part of any watch groups on Facebook, but I've seen that some people are able to share this pretty easily. This site also has some recovery stories too so I'd appreciate it if you guys could circulate this a bit.
    https://stolen911.com/watch-collection-stolen-in-oakland/

Thank you all again for helping out.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  8. subregister Nov 4, 2019

I have tried to put something together that is free for everyone (didn't want something where you have to pay to include your watch, or pay if your watch is found). I keep adding as I see posts, but feel free to send any you hear about that go missing:
    https://alphahands.com/faq/stolen-watch-registry-database/

9. Andreas Nov 10, 2019

bump...
    lets keep the thread a little bit more on the top.
    hoping for some good news soon :thumbsup:

Shankified likes this.
  10. abrod520 Nov 10, 2019

Thanks, I really appreciate everyone's concern about this. No news yet but there are still things to be done to further the investigation, and I'm still on it.

11. Shankified Nov 10, 2019

@abrod520 this is heart-breaking. I hope you will get all of these watches back. Fingers crossed xx

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 10, 2019

I posted the Fratello story into 2 omega FB groups and some high end automotive groups. I’ll repost with that link.

13. abrod520 Nov 10, 2019

Thanks Phil, I really appreciate it.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. absoluteczech Nov 12, 2019

You should try contacting Hodinkee and tell them your story. Perhaps theyll run the story and if anything it will gain TONS of eyes and attention to the stolen watches.

Baz9614 likes this.
  15. abrod520 Nov 13, 2019

Seems like as good a time as ever to bump this up, and add a new addition that I discovered was missing when I went to use it today: A bottle of cologne. (I don't use it often at all which is why I've only now just realized it's missing.)

So: If you know the type of person in the Bay Area who likes to steal cologne and has recently been wearing a new-to-them but worn out Yankees cap, please get in touch with me. I'm offering $1000 towards the recovery of the watches or proof of who stole my stuff. Thank you.

Kmart, Cad290, Evitzee and 6 others like this.
  16. Uniqez Nov 13, 2019

Shared on my FB and IG. The problem is - time is ticking away. I doubt cops are going to do anything later....I like an idea of contacting Hodinkee, maybe they would help to shake it up a bit.

17. absoluteczech Nov 13, 2019

The more eyes, the better!

18. abrod520 Nov 13, 2019

If anybody's got a contact at Hodinkee, I'd appreciate them reaching out and putting me in contact with them. But they don't really do much stories about things like this - they focus more on new watch releases, industry news and on very high end / celebrity collectors. Robert-Jan at Fratello did reach out to write a story about it though so it is at least out there.

Again, thank you to all of you who are sharing, keeping an eye out, making suggestions, and offering thoughts of support. It really does mean a lot to me.

Mad Dog and Uniqez like this.
  19. absoluteczech Nov 13, 2019

PM you

20. chipsotoole Nov 13, 2019

So sorry to hear this. When I scrolled through the breathtaking collection my heart sank.I'll bet the thief has no clue as to the value. It's every collectors worst nightmare, and impossible to replace. I'll keep an eye out central Europe way. Hope you get some joy soon.

JwRosenthal likes this.