Forums Latest Members

Advice regarding Audemars Piguet service proposal for "not so" Classique watch

1. 80H-d Nov 10, 2023

Yeah, it's in a weird spot. I looked up the movement on AP's site and there were something like 14000 of these movements produced. I think 150-500 of my tantalum example is a pretty generous estimate for how many were ever made, with the majority of the movements going into ROOs and huitiemes of more traditional metals. So borderline rarity + borderline vintage...it's a borderline judgment call!

2. mikeo1 Nov 16, 2023

I think the OP made the right choice regarding replacing the movement, typically done with 70's/80's vach and patek as well; always good it they allow you to retain the original movement as well--wondered if they did?

3. 80H-d Feb 28, 2024

Update

@mikeo1 OP was not allowed to keep his movement and I doubt I will be allowed to do so either.

$373 to ship it insured to Switzerland.
    $2600 to perform the same service as OP had done: replace the movement + do a general service. I opted out of getting the case refinished. Not sure it would even benefit from that, being tantalum, but I don't like my watches polished up.

I assume it will be a good half a year or more until this watch is ready to return to me. I miss it greatly.

4. lucreative Feb 28, 2024

Can't believe I had and went through this ordeal over 4 years ago (and with 4 years ago prices). Hopefully AP service from Switzerland is as courteous as the one that I received from Clearwater, FL. Even though there were hiccups and delays, they did make up for it. Try and ask for a new Extract of Archives with the new movement matching the case serial (and if they can comp it), since it's such a pricey process. Ask for some travel cases etc,, basically all the swag you can get. I don't remember having to pay for shipping (though you are sending it to Le Brassus). The Audemars Huitieme is an unique piece in history and it's awesome to think you have a Royal Oak Offshore movement in such a small thin package.

5. 80H-d Feb 28, 2024

Wow that's actually a really good idea. I should have sent my clasp and had them fix that too. It's a butterfly deployant and doesn't line up right anymore.

My local watchmaker is the one facilitating all of this—I will reach out and have them see about swagging me up haha