Forums Latest Members
  1. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

Hi there!,

New to the forum and new to the world of vintage watches as a whole. I currently own a few Seiko's and an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600m (my pride & joy).

However, I recently came across some vintage watches and found old Omega Seamasters at rather affordable prices. The particular watch in question is a Seamaster that has had major refurbishment work done to it. The dial was repainted, glass was replaced, the leather strap is after market as well. The seller says the watch is authentic, however he does not have any paperwork or certificate for the watch to guarantee its authenticity.

Can anybody help me identify whether the watch is authentic? I have attached the photos of the watch in question.

Moreover, my grand father has an Omega that he received upon retiring from his company after 18 years of service. The watch is Seamaster with the company logo engraved in the back and as well as the dial. Its documents have gone missing as well as he got the watch back in 1987. Someone told me once that I can contact Omega and they might be able to provide me with replacement paperwork since they keep registry of all the watches they manufacture. Is this true?.

My apologies to everyone, I am absolute noob when it comes to watches.

1[612].jpg 2[613].jpg 3[614].jpg 4[615].jpg 5[616].jpg 6[617].jpg 7[618].jpg 8[619].jpg
  2. Hnansen Apr 25, 2017

Well, if by authentic you mean that the parts are genuine Omega, then yes, i suppose its genuine.
    Other than that there isnt really anything good to say about the watch.
    The dial is a horrible redial and the movement is in a very bad shape.

Stay far, far away.

3. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

Thanks for the help. What would you be willing to pay for this watch though?

4. Hnansen Apr 25, 2017

Honestly, i would not pay anything for a watch like this, unless i really needed some parts from the movement.

What is the asking price?

5. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

Originally, $506 but after negotiation, he came down to $480.

6. Hnansen Apr 25, 2017

For 480 dollars you could get a very nice and original 50/60s Omega, so that would be a terrible, terrible deal.
    Its not even close to being worth that much.

Willem023 likes this.
  7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 25, 2017

The dial may look nice to a new buyer but to any collector it really is quite awful. I'm no watchmaker but the movement looks very poor, this would really be a very bad purchase.

A.Irfan likes this.
  8. waterproofpt Apr 25, 2017

Do a search (google or eBay) using 'Omega 166.041', which is the reference number for the watch case. Then you'll see what it should look like. These do have the cal 565 movement in them, like 'yours', but ...... well, you'll see the differences in the dial in particular.

9. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

I have been looking all over the place but couldn't find any that I like, lol.

10. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

Thanks!

11. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

The reference number you gave turns up images of the Geneve, this particular says seamaster on the dial. Are you suggesting that the watch in question isn't even a Seamaster?

12. BenBagbag Apr 25, 2017

I would pass for sure for the above reasons. Part of the charm of a vintage watch is that it reflects a time period. While most enthusiasts here won't even touch a redial, it seems the few that do only do if it is tastefully done. This one is not tastefully done. The original dial never looked like that.

A.Irfan likes this.
  13. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 25, 2017

It is really easy to buy a new watch, walk into the store, choose something then hand over your credit card.
    It's not so quick and easy buying good vintage but it is a lot more fun. Assuming you enjoy the research and the hunt. First off, don't rush, there is always another coming down the pipeline. Next hang out for a while, check out the WRUW thread and keep an eye on the sales forums here. Anything on the sales forum that is not kosher or honest will generally be questioned by the members. If you want to keep looking on ebay, great but as you (correctly) did this time ask for input before you bid or buy. There is also a thread titled something like "what omega did you buy for less than $500" this will show you what can be bought once you have a bit more knowledge, another really important thread is "learn how to fish" loads of really beneficial info on that one.
    Good luck and once again, slow down.

A.Irfan and BenBagbag like this.
  14. BenBagbag Apr 25, 2017

This should be stickied lol
    Another thing: if you want to own a correct vintage watch and don't want to join the hunt with us, you can buy a vintage watch BIN or on a boutique website for a premium. I would say 30% markup to what market value is seems reasonable if someone doesn't want the "hassle" of the hunt. It is all how you value your time.

A.Irfan likes this.
  15. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

16. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

Thanks! Its not really about time, I've got my dad's birthday coming up in a couple of months, so I wanted to gift him a nice vintage Omega dress watch. And more importantly, its the lack of knowledge thats holding me down, lol.

17. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

Could you share links to the threads you're talking about? :)

Thanks!

18. A.Irfan Apr 25, 2017

19. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 25, 2017

20. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 25, 2017

Yes, NOT a Seamaster!