Forums Latest Members
  1. hxw Jan 28, 2013

Hello all,

I have decided to purchase a vintage (or nos) Seamaster 300. I have been looking for a while, and I had originally decided to purchase a NOS/WatchCo version of the watch - but I was late to the party on all the listings I came across. A few days ago, I came across a vintage Seamaster 300 - and I would love to get any input from the experts here, before I make my decision. I have stared at the images of the watch for some time now, and I find the watch to be authentic - but with a possible relume.

Information I have about the watch in question:
    - Judging by the serial numbers (and information from seller), the watch dates to 1968 - and is running the cal. 552.
    - It was serviced about a year ago. The crystal and insert holding ring was replaced (both Omega parts.)
    - The bezel moves in both directions with the noticeable click and remains snug once set.
    - The bezel has a crack around the number 4, and has discoloration around the number 30.
    - Crown screws down tight and is also tight when extending the tube; then moves freely when setting the time.
    - I believe it may have been re-lumed, allthough the current owner says the watch has not been re-lumed while he has owned it (current owner acquired the watch around 2008). When I asked about the possible re-lume, I received the following response: "If you charge the lume it stays bright for a good bit, but then fades to a dim glow. I can see it during the night, but it is dim."The seller has offered to time the lume for me.Now, on to the pictures![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]While I was discussing this watch with seller, I received an offer to buy an SM300 (166.0324) assembled by WatchCo. The seller has no papers from WatchCo on the watch, and I only have these pictures now (more pictures can be arranged this weekend):[​IMG][​IMG]

There is a USD 500 ($1800 and $2300) difference in price on these two offers.

What would be the best watch to purchase - given the information at hand?
    At the moment, I am bit reluctant towards the WatchCo SM, as it has no documents - and I want to be certain that it indeed is assembled by WatchCo.

I appreciate any advice and comments.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

Any competent watchmaker can assemble a watchco watch - it's not difficult with the proper parts. I would not let the absence of "watchco" papers be a deterrent in purchasing the watch if that is your preference.

3. hxw Jan 28, 2013

Thank you for the advice. I was advised by a local watch-community friend to pass on a watchco assembled one, if it did not come with any form of documentation. I will take your point into consideration :)

4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 28, 2013

5. pascs Jan 28, 2013

I didnt get any documentation from Watchco when I bought my SM300, I even had to ask them to send me a full receipt for the watch

The first watch probably has a replacement dial which is why the lume looks like it hasnt faded

6. T5AUS Jan 28, 2013

Hi, on the first watch it looks to me like a replaced nos dial and not a re lumed one. The hands look like the original ones. With these vintage watches the original dial is what makes them so desirable. Personally I couldn't live with it and for that kind of money would wait for an original one to show for a few bob more. The watch co one is a compilation of nos parts and so is out of the equation if you are chasing the vintage look but a great Omega watch never the less, it really is your choice. Good luck

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 28, 2013

On the Watchco watch, note that the bezel does not appear to align properly at 12. Unlike a modern Seamaster where this is pretty easy to fix by removing the insert and pressing it back in, not so on these.

Also, the point about paperwork - I have assembled a number of these (have one I'm working on right now actually) so Watchco is certainly not the only one making these. There is no magic in servicing a 550 series movement, and installing the dial hands, and casing it, so paperwork is not really needed. The only issue is that you need to make sure the case is not a fake, so maybe that's why someone suggested paperwork as proof Watchco made it. Usually the fake cases are pretty easy to spot.

Cheers, Al

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 28, 2013

Am I the only one that finds the images one and two to be way different from image three ? Ok different lighting and angle but even then to me it looks like the bezel from one and two on a different unit. Should "Swiss Made" be so obvious in one pic only?

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 28, 2013

Most true Watchco 300s were purchased via ebay, thus the only receipt is usually the Paypal one.
    I purchased mine personally from Marcus and the only receipt I received was the print out from the card machine.
    The lack of a receipt for a watch like this isn't unusual. I'm quite happy to get a watch, I'm not worried about provenance and papers for a 'NOS' 300.
    I would also doubt that original receipts are available for many true vintage 300s, although those that do and have genuine provenence are way out of my price range.
    :-(

I answer to your dilema.
    I'd go for a "Watchco" because you know you are getting genuine Omega parts (noting Al's comment above), and if you're lucky, a genuine NOS movement.
    I'd pass on a vintage unless the provenance was arrefutable.

10. MyVintageOmega Jan 28, 2013

Faced with these two watch options.....I would go with the date version as a daily wear.

11. hxw Jan 29, 2013

Thank you all for your responses and help!

It's great to get some clarification on the two watches. And I agree with the last two posters, since I plan on using the watch in my daily rotation - the WatchCo version will probably be the best option for me. I still long for a vintage one, but in the long run I'd rather wait until I find a watch with less doubt about the history of the watch.

How would I spot a fake Watchco case, I suppose it is the same "checklist" as for the vintage ones?

hxw

12. Littleroger Jan 29, 2013

13. Dash1 Jan 29, 2013

I would agree with many of the comments posted here. If you want a vintage Omega 300 pass on the 'watchco' one and get a good vintage example, you can post any potential purchases here for critique to make sure you get an all original one. The one you have shown does have a modern replacement dial so probably isn't the 'one.'
    If you want a daily wearer with the look of a vintage Omega diving watch then the 'watchco' ones are great. It does not need to come from watchco, but again you could post pics here to check its not a fake.
    Either way they are fantastic watches!

14. Dash1 Jan 29, 2013

This is a great write up on the sm300 actually translated into English from French by a friend of mine, not this Polish bloke. I'll ask my friend if I can post the whole thing here (or in a seperate post) as it has masses of valuable info.

15. hxw Jan 29, 2013

The thing is, I want both a vintage one - and a daily wearer. Right now, I believe the 'watchco' one is the way to go - and just wait for the perfect vintage one. I will post more pictures of the 'watchco' once I receive them, any help with determining the authenticity is much appreciated.

hxw

16. pz93c Jan 29, 2013

Good choice on the Watchco.

I love the thought of a "vintage" Seamaster 300 with great lume and water resistance.

Enjoy it.

17. pascs Jan 29, 2013

This is why I went for the watchco too, I couldnt find a vintage one that I liked or trusted so I went with the reliability of buying a watchco

I'm really happy with it and maybe once I've bought several other Omegas which are on my wishlist then I'll go back to looking for a vintage SM300

I think if I was going to buy another watchco I'd go for a date version and then that would leave me open to buy a non date vintage SM300 :D

18. hxw Jan 29, 2013

Exactly what I was thinking :)

19. hxw Jan 29, 2013

Came across two different vintage ones on ebay, any input on these two?

Number 1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Number 2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The second one looks like it has a newer dial, but I'm not sure about the first one.

EDIT:
    After looking more closely on the images of number 1, it seems as the hour markings have a bit too much gap between them and the edge of the dial.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  20. MyVintageOmega Jan 29, 2013

hxw likes this.