Advice on potentially my last Omega

Hi Josh, you don't seem to be a fan of steel bracelets, so I'm guessing you don't like those. I would add a Chronoscope, blue face, on leather,
17331872_1.jpg

That is fabulous! Definitely makes the list! I do have a bracelet for the PO but swapped it for the blue rubber strap years ago. Might dig it out and give it another go.

I vote ultraman speedy. Closest superhero in the Omega lineup?

Also, share more pics of the armor! That's awesome!
thanks. and you asked for it;). Also made the Stormtrooper helmet, Mando helmet and Mjölnir. The Helmet on its own with yellow lights is a MK46 and goes with the full armour. I also am using Arduinos to control the LEDs. The photo of 4 helmets are a MK2, MK5 (Bought not made), Mk46 and MK85 is a WIP as no electronics yet. This one will have a powered face plate.
Finally, the full size arm is from the MK43 Armour. Let me save you all the trouble.... NEEEERRRRRDDDDD.!:D

Josh

IMG_7168.JPG IMG_6610.JPG IMG_6608.JPG IMG_6633.JPG IMG_7177.JPG

That’s a wonderful selection as it is, some fairly serious watches already in the box! Congratulations on your retirement too, 32 years is well and truly enough.

I think I would struggle to add something to punctuate the end of a career for sub 10k, given what you already have on hand. To me it would feel a little lost amongst the others of similar, albeit great quality watches.

Solid gold would break it up a bit and is traditional for a retirement watch, but they’ll likely push that 10k budget quite a bit higher depending on which model you’d like.

If that’s the case, maybe sell your least worn watch or two and add to the budget, or mull over it for a little while whilst you figure it out, you’ll have plenty of time. Being retired just earlier this year I tend to wear less of my collection as it is, so I tend to reach just for my favourites.

It also felt like quite a rush at the end of work, I really raced out there the first week to find what I was looking for. You have all the time in the world now to go on a hunt.

I settled on the new Ed White 321, it has been a perfect watch that could also suit your collection as it is, not too far of a stretch from the budget that you currently have allocated if you can find one close to retail.

A solid gold Constellation or Speedmaster could also be incredible, just looking at a few beauties now on Chrono24, I don’t often ever look at solid gold options but there are plenty.

Either way it’s a great position to be in, there’s nothing more enjoyable than researching and chasing down a special piece. Good luck shopping and building that armour, it looks epic.

thanks for the advice. You are right, I will have time to properly look for something that really adds to the collection. I think I got pushed into looking as my OB said that prices are going up from Sept. But if I am looking at second hand that is less of an issue.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Really appreciate the help from this forum

Regards
Josh

thanks. and you asked for it;). Also made the Stormtrooper helmet, Mando helmet and Mjölnir. The Helmet on its own with yellow lights is a MK46 and goes with the full armour. I also am using Arduinos to control the LEDs. The photo of 4 helmets are a MK2, MK5 (Bought not made), Mk46 and MK85 is a WIP as no electronics yet. This one will have a powered face plate.
Finally, the full size arm is from the MK43 Armour. Let me save you all the trouble.... NEEEERRRRRDDDDD.!:D

Josh

wow, you’re the dad my son wishes he had :)

Hi All,

About to make a major life change and disappear from the "Rat Race" after 32 years work and retire to either spend long relaxing days with my wife or spend time in garage making full size Iron Man Armour (See photo's ;)). The answer depends on whether you ask me or my wife.

Anyway given my current collection what would you advise my "Last" purchase to be? Ideally sub £10K. You can see I have a mix of styles, don't really like the Aqua Terra's.

Thanks for any direction.
Josh

IMG_6989 2.JPG IMG_7131.JPG IMG_7137.JPG
Congratulations. IMHO I would consider a broad arrow. Enjoy. Be well.

Thanks for the ideas. I do have a IWC that was given to me as a Christmas gift in 2008 by my employer at the time (Those days have gone!). The Rolex explorer looks great and will go and see that. thanks

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 11.35.23.png Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 11.36.17.png

The Explorer was a watch I thought I disliked until I saw it in person (display watch at an AD). It’s incredible. If you tell the salesperson that you’re buying it to mark an occasion, they should be able to get you one in a reasonable timeframe. Or you can find them near retail at many legit preowned sites (DavidSW, OCWatch, EuropeanWatchCo, Nashville, Hodinkee, etc).

If you're looking for a 1971 Omega, then you have a lot to choose from such as Flightmasters, Seamaster Cosmics, Speedy Mk IIs almost Speedy Mk IIIs, all in the $5k range, but the two options for me would be the forever classic Speedy 145.022-69 some of which were made in 1971 (there is a 145.022-71, fairly rare, and most made 72 and onwards I believer) BUT having said all that, you could go for the ultimate classic seamaster 600 Ploprof... Mine is 1970, pre-production:upload_2023-8-11_13-32-16.png

That looks great. Maybe I go vintage, 1971 is my birth year, any recommendations for that year?
Funny, mine dates to 1971. Some folks don't care for the C-case shape but I love them and would recommend. Pie-pan Constellations are very popular. I feel like the "golden age" of pie-pans was a bit earlier but they may have still been around in '71. I'm no expert on these matters.

Another thought, once again purely inspired by my personal preferences. A brand new Rolex DateJust. Fluted bezel on jubilee bracelet of course. That would be a nice retirement watch.

Josh

That's awesome! I used to play with Arduinos back in college (I think I still have the first gen board floating around the basement somewhere). How are you fabricating the armor - is it 3d printed, or another process?

I can't stand sitting still. If I ever manage to retire, I'd love to just take lots of workshops and learn how to make more stuff. I have some basic skills in woodworking and metal fab, but there's so much more to learn. Retiring to the couch and watching cable news all day seems to be pretty bad for the brain (from what I see from my relatives); this seems like a great way to have some fun challenges to wrestle with and keep the mind active.

To your original question, I also second all the people suggesting you pick up a vintage Ploprof. I think Tony Stark would approve.

Josh

Two iron thumbs up from my bairns.

I concur with the vintage idea -- some amazing pieces out there, birth year or no, and having dallied for years with modern watches while the prices were less mad I have found that some of my most-worn watches are vintage models that wear comfortably and have roots in some of the more interesting design eras.

I'd also suggest that the interest, beauty and meaning of a special watch don't always have to do with price -- plenty of remarkable watches capable of bringing all kinds of wearing pleasure that won't cost like a vintage Cartier or PP.

Having blithered on at some length, I would def consider a PloProf when I call it a jour in a few years. New or vintage that is one serious, crazy, beautiful wrist weight.

A Chronoscope was mentioned previously with a reverse panda dial which is always a good look, so how about the ST1, "A Tribute to Alaska Project III", that came out in 2017. I think this is one of the best LE Speedmasters, everything is a brushed finish except the polished logos on the dial, crown and tang buckle. It's a very cool watch and within shouting distance of the $10k range (2012 pcs made). Some have recommended the ST2 Ultraman but I actually think the ST1 is a nicer watch overall. I generally will pick the ST1 over the ST2 to wear, but it's all personal opinion.

Also as previously mentioned a Speedmaster with the silver dial and black subdials (Mitsukoshi, Apollo 11 35th or Tokyo 2020) is also a very nice watch, much different than the Snoopy in the OP's collection already.
Edited:

Sorry you can’t escape the cheap way. Grand final should be golden. Or platinum ;)

Thanks all,

So many great suggestions. Have selected my favs and my family have waded in. My other half has vetoed full gold, she just doesn't like it. Below are what I am going to look at, assuming I can find stock somewhere. One or to go just beyond the budget but not a problem.

Thanks again all very much appreciated

Josh

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.37.26.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.39.45.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.38.14.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.38.02.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.37.41.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.20.34.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.17.09.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.14.42.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.12.54.png Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 12.12.47.png

I vote full gold speedy for finishing the rat race. Congratulations.

I have just THE watch in mind.
Gold and red — Ironman’s colors

That looks great. Maybe I go vintage, 1971 is my birth year, any recommendations for that year?
1971 and you retire? That's a long retirement!