Forums Latest Members

Advice on my purchase please

1. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Hi All

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or there is already a similar thread.

So my impulses got the better off me when I saw a reasonably priced Omega Seamaster Master Co-Axial Sedna Gold on Steel on eBay.

After much deliberation I decided to go buy the watch, the seller seemed genuine and I had done my research and noted all the differences that were present on the replica's out there.

The seller was nice and lived in a big house, with nice cars and had a watch collection himself. So buying it didn't make me think twice as he had the lifestyle to have a nice watch. His wife brought it him as a present for his 40th and he was selling it as it wasn't his style which I understood.

After checking everything I decided to go through with the purchase but when I got home I decided to check this forum and others in regard to the paperwork. Funnily enough the papers and box look like they are replicas or fakes.

I have read that you can get replacement papers from the Omega Boutique, so I am not too worried about having a fake box/papers but its the watch.

The watch seems genuine in my opinion, as the movement looks like the one on the Omega site/other jewelers websites. It looks nothing like the super fakes I have seen based on Miyota movements. Can anyone give there opinion on the movement before I take it Omega?

Could just be a misunderstanding and they brought it like this or without and box and brought a box from one of the Chinese sites.

Also, I am wondering how I should play this going forward and if I should see redress/take him to court? Purchase was through bank transfer, I have the original listing details and his details so there is a paper trail of the purchase.

I have uploaded pictures of the movement for reference if anyone can help :)

20200608_154318.jpg IMG-20200606-WA0004.jpg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2020

You didn't indicate what model it is, but this is what the serial number on the movement pulls up:

Serial number:87082016
    Article ref: 23320412101001

It would seem to match the description you are giving, so with limited information it appears that the watch is legit.

Cheers, Al

mr.q likes this.
  3. mjb Jun 8, 2020

If Al says it's OK, then it likely is (always tough to tell for sure from pictures). If the box etc. are not real, and they were advertised as such, then I'd suggest that you talk to the seller before escalating it. He might help put your mind at ease, or possibly make it up to you.

4. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Thanks for the reply Al.

My bad!

Model is 233.20.41.21.01.001 on the cards and the serial number on the watch case and card is what you said.

Just seems a little odd that the cards look like those on the replica websites, maybe the originals were lost and the owner decided to replace them like this...

5. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Cheers MJB, Al has put my mind at lease so I won't be loosing sleep on this matter tonight.

Well, it wasn't mentioned in the listing they were not original so I will have to speak to the seller and see what he can do for me.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2020

It would be unlikely I think that he would be able to order replica cards with the exact serial and model number on them. Maybe you should post photos of the cards and box for people to take a look at...

7. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Well this is where I went wrong with my purchase (having limited knowledge), the cards have the details written on using maker whereas originals be stamped, right? I will post pictures shortly.

8. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Any other pictures i can take that may help?

9. Evitzee Jun 8, 2020

I have two Omega watches bought in 2018 that have written in numbers (serial and reference) on the warranty card that an AD did at time of purchase so that fact does not indicate a fake. I think you are worrying about nothing.

Edited Jun 8, 2020
  10. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Thanks for the reassurance, I guess we can discuss this further when I get some pictures up but that sounds like me in a nutshell haha

11. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Hi Guys, so here are the pictures of the box and cards. Appreciate your help. Again, sorry if I missed anything.

20200608_173821.jpg 20200608_173835.jpg 20200608_173349.jpg 20200608_173908.jpg
  12. Evitzee Jun 8, 2020

The Master Chronometer card is missing the Access Code which allows you to log on to the Omega site and see the actual performance statistics for your watch. That would bug me, I'm not sure Omega will give you that number at this point but it would be worthwhile to try to get it. Usually the Master Chronometer card (if METAS certified) and Pictogram card have the reference number and watch serial number preprinted, and occasionally the Warranty card is blank and the dealer fills in the date of sale, ref. and serial numbers in black marker, and stamps it. I've never seen all the cards blank, but maybe that is common in the middle east.

13. mjb Jun 8, 2020

What makes you think the boxes are fake? They look good to me.

I believe (too lazy to look) that when I bought my SMP 300 from an AD, they hand-wrote the information in as well.

14. Dan S Jun 8, 2020

If the OP had simply posted the photos immediately, we would all have avoided a waste of time.

Franzlad and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  15. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

The access code not being present is the first thing that raised my suspicions...

16. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Yes, I found the watch on ebay. He had a business account so his phone number was displayed, I contacted him and said I would pay him on collection if he discounted the price for me, after a little back and forth he did.

So I went to buy the watch at his home address (nice affluent area). His cars were on the front drive, a couple of Porsche's and a Lotus. The watch collection he brought up, something to be proud off I guess.

Sketchy haha - I wish I could come up with this sh*t.

17. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Right well I found the following images on a Chinese replica website, tell me if they look similar.

OMGBOX001_12.jpg OMGBOX001_02.jpg
  18. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

Sorry Dan, still figuring out how to write a well structured forum post ::book::

19. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 8, 2020

I think I would understand your reservations more if you received the watch in the mail and that was the first time seeing everything in person, but you saw them in person when you gave him the money. Did you have concerns when you saw it in person but still paid him and went on your way? Not to criticize because that's not helpful but this is why eBay heavily states not to purchase off platform. The only way I would have purchased off platform was if you had met at an Omega Boutique, had it inspected, and verified by them. You can still do that to calm your nerves and I think that would be the only way to 100% calm your nerves because all we are (this forum), are people looking at pictures online that can give an educated opinion. We would need as many pictures of the watch as possible to give you an even stronger educated opinion on this but IF you were duped and bought a 1:1 fake, you already gave him your money. eBay and the bank can't protect you as they both have warnings advising against what you did. I'm not saying what you bought is fake or to make you more scared... but I think you need to go to Omega to have them look this over

JwRosenthal and vintage hab like this.
  20. mr.q Jun 8, 2020

I totally understand where you are coming from, so no criticism taken.

I thought I did my due diligence but maybe not, I suppose when your making a purchase like this you go on what you see. I saw a well off guy selling a nice watch and thought no different, maybe if it was a rough area where you wouldn't expect to see a nice watch I would have not brought it.

With the lockdown and all the Omega Boutique's are closed in England. So I wasn't able to take this route. I will have to pop in when they reopen next week. The guy and his established business aren't going anywhere so I'm not worried about be able to track him.

I suppose the bank or eBay cannot protect me but I can always take him to the small claims court if it turns out to be a replica (which in my mind it isn't).