Forums Latest Members
  1. ffswhyme Jan 1, 2017

Hi - new member here. I came across this interesting omega seamaster 600 and was hoping to get some advice on whether the watch I'm looking at is original. I love the look, but haven't seen any seamasters with the gray linen dial. I've requested pics of the movement and the inside of the caseback, so I may post those later. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

dial1.PNG dial2.PNG dial3.PNG dial4.PNG dial5.PNG crown1.PNG

tdn-dk likes this.
  2. ffswhyme Jan 1, 2017

Here's a shot of the caseback

caseback.PNG

3. DON Jan 1, 2017

Looks redone, but could be an old refinish. Luminous on dial doesn't match hands, but doesn't look new either

DON

4. ffswhyme Jan 1, 2017

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense. I've just recently gotten into vintage watches. Does it look like an old refinish because the luminescent dots, which still look a bit old, look like they're newer than the lume on the hands? Any thoughts on the gray linen dial? Is it even a known variation? I haven't been able to find any pictures.

Thanks for all the help, by the way

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 1, 2017

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Don.

I think the dial is original, as are the lume dots and hands.

However, without a movement picture, it's still a pig in a poke.
    gatorcpa

kyle L likes this.
  6. Davidt Jan 1, 2017

I also think that dial's original, but if it's the watch I think it is, I would tread carefully with that seller. He was a member here a year or so ago and it didn't end very well. Bit of a chancer...

7. GuiltyBoomerang Jan 1, 2017

Dial and hands appear in original condition. Crystal looks like a generic replacement. Crown appears correct for the case. Caseback appears to have been polished to remove scratches, as it is quite light.

As @gatorcpa and @Davidt3449 allude to, only movement pictures will be the deal breaker here. My guess for the caseback would be a 135.001 or a 137.001....again, ask the seller for photos.

8. ffswhyme Jan 1, 2017

Thanks all for the help! Will return back when I get pics from the seller

9. Ninja2789 Jan 1, 2017

I'm curious. To me I agree with DON that the hand lume and dial lume don't quite match up. The dial lume is clearly creme color, but the hands have aged to an almost gray/dark color.

I get that lume discoloration can vary, but I would imagine that the discoloration would be consistent should both be original to the watch.

10. ConElPueblo Jan 1, 2017

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 1, 2017

From what I can see it's a nice example. Due to the dial texture it is difficult to get the crisp printing we see on smooth surfaces and I've seen four or five like this one. I think the dial is original, hands may be re-done as CeP and others have noted.

Movement pics are essential. Probably be a Cal 601 which is an excellent engine.

12. Davidt Jan 2, 2017