Forums Latest Members
  1. chronos May 3, 2016

Hey Omegastar,
    Thank you very much for the great work!! :)
    I just added a very rare buckle:
    I got this one as a present from a friend of mine who was the CEO of Omega for a couple of years. He said that in those times, it was absolutely ok to just take a bunch of any prototype parts home if they wanted to - Omega didn't care at all....
    In fact the leftovers of limited editions & prototypes were eventually donated to flea markets in order to get rid of them - unbelieveable if you think of what is happening today...

Concerning my buckle:
    I am more than 100% sure it is original but as it has no stamps/ hallmarks at all, it will be looked at / vetted as a fake by most of the people. As I (due to emotional value) won't sell it as long as I live, I don't mint. But on the other hand it is hard to have such a nice buckle while everybody else thinks it was a cheap fake...
    If you need need better pictures or cleaner parts, then just let me know.
    Best, Stephan

Anyway, there we go!

20160503_200942.jpg 20160503_235909.jpg 20160503_235822.jpg
    timesofplenty, Rudi99 and omegastar like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 3, 2016

Document the provenance.

No one can argue with that.
    gatorcpa

3. omegastar May 4, 2016

I believe you, it is genuine !
    Where was your friend at Omega located ?
    These are dark times, no one believes anymore. The suspicion of fakes is the norm, because most people have no intuition only pictures to refer to.
    I am puzzled whenever one asks if something is genuine, everybody start looking at details that will prove fakness. Starting with the opinion that there is something wrong. Not so long ago there was a thread with 3 Jaeger Lecoultre dials. In the end they were all 3 fakes or suspect or nice repaint. Just asking makes the item suspect.
    I have seen many strange things that were geniune, but nowadays people are so stressed that if that thing is not exactly like the picture on the net they will disqualify it. Everyone wants to go on the highway, not on the small roads.
    But when you know that the watch industry in those days had no problem using old parts in new watches, that when a stock of parts was available, like dials, they would use it rather then throw it in the bin...

Rochete, felsby, BrianMcKay and 2 others like this.
  4. chronos May 4, 2016

I'm sorry Gatorcpa, but I won't be able nor willing to prove anything. I didn't make anything up and I will offer you my word for it.

I didn't show the pic in order to start a huge debate about its origin. I just thought you guys might be interested in seeing that buckle which came straight out of the Omega factory.

@omegastar : thank you very much for all the points you make in your reply which I do second.

My friend was CEO of Omega Switzerland, but before that time he was responsible for England.

Best,
    Stephan

felsby and omegastar like this.
  5. omegastar May 4, 2016

A friend(Omega collector) just came by and said he has exactly the same!
    There is no question as to it being genuine, but rather why is it not signed. You know why.
    I do now.
    King regards.
    Mounir

felsby and chronos like this.
  6. GuiltyBoomerang May 9, 2016

@omegastar - Great thread! For me, I only have two vintage Omega buckles...I'm wondering about the second that I just got.

I was looking for a 60s stainless steel buckle for my Seamaster 30 to match a band I had lying around. I found one on eBay and won it. I was particularly interested in the small stamped logo in the middle of the buckle's back in the seller's photo:

$_57.JPG

It arrived today and I put it on my strap.

20160509_204232.jpg

20160509_220059.jpg

20160509_204219.jpg

20160509_204359.jpg

From the mark. the direction of the text, andhe curve profile, I'm assuming that it is an AW buckle. Does that sound about right? Many thanks again for making this thread!

Edited May 9, 2016
    omegastar and GregH like this.
  7. omegastar May 10, 2016

Sorry for the late reply. I guess you got it all right, AW last version. You can now hunt on the bay.
    Best
    Mounir

chronos and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  8. TexOmega Jul 15, 2016

any opinions on this buckle as to originality and if so, date range it was made, and where it was manufactured and for what market?

Buckel.JPG
    omega buckel (Copy).JPG

Edited Jul 15, 2016
    tjdwhite, sonicosa and GregH like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 15, 2016

IMO, original. From the 1940's to 1960's for the US market.
    gatorcpa

10. TexOmega Jul 15, 2016

thank you...came with this watch......spring bars have the right angle extensions for easy removal, too:thumbsup:

IMG_8723.JPG

Rudi99, GregH and Giff2577 like this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 15, 2016

Probably not original to that watch, but could have come with a replacement Omega strap.
    gatorcpa

timesofplenty likes this.
  12. Holma20 Jul 18, 2016

Great work thanks !!

omegastar likes this.
  13. xbarx1 Aug 3, 2016

Wow. Will take some time to digest all this info but glad I have some sort of reference as I start a search for a a couple authentic buckles and bands. Many thanks for the effort.

omegastar likes this.
  14. Pradeep Aug 12, 2016

Yes, great effort ! It's a much needed resource for us all. Thanks

omegastar likes this.
  15. Baden Harrison Sep 26, 2016

Wow thank you for your time and knowledge this is an incredible post.

omegastar and GeorgeBailey2 like this.
  16. cottonlume Sep 27, 2016

This was extremely helpful!

omegastar likes this.
  17. gr8sw Sep 27, 2016

excellent work and write-up, Omegastar!

you just helped me pull an authentic GM buckle off of eprey ;)

omegastar likes this.
  18. QOLEQTOR Nov 1, 2016

Very informative thanks.

omegastar likes this.
  19. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 8, 2016

Someone an idea what would have come on a 14k 1940 33.3?

20. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 21, 2016

A+, really enjoyed the detail placed in all categories of buckle. Thank you for this opportunity to educate in a part of collecting that may be overlooked more times than not. May have a buyer here for a future purchase that lacks an original.

Thank you again,

Thomas

X350 XJR and omegastar like this.