Forums Latest Members

A few MoonSwatch questions for those who have them

1. perks713 Apr 5, 2022

I’ve done a few searches and haven’t had a ton of luck answering these questions. If anyone currently rocking a MoonSwatch can weigh in I’d appreciate it…

1) How loud is the watch? I know this is a little subjective but I have a bio-sourced Sigan and I honestly have a hard time wearing it since transitioning to work from home. I can hear it ticking from 5-6 feet away and no matter how much my wife claims I have selective hearing I can’t seem to select not to hear the swatch.

2) Is there any info on how long the battery lasts and how much running the chronograph would change that in any manual that comes with the watch? I kinda want to just run it 24/7 on a swatch.

3) Have you swapped straps? 3.1) what’s the lug width? I like the idea of the Velcro strap but I don’t love some of the other Swatch bands so I’m hoping I could swap it around from time to time.

4) how durable do you think the case/crystal is? Subjective again I know but when I had my first swatch I rocked one of these and while they're undoubtedly cool, I’m planning to pick up a couple MoonSwatches as alternatives to my FOIS on the evenings/weekends while running around with my almost 3 year old and I’d hate to immediately crack the plastic ‘crystal’

Thanks in advance!

2. cvalue13 Apr 7, 2022

Bump

My own misophonia is curious curious esp about the sound question.

perks713 likes this.
  3. bombaywalla Apr 7, 2022

Have you checked for answers on the Watchuseek forum?
    In comparison there have been a ton of threads there & it’s possible some of your questions have been answered…

4. YY77 Apr 7, 2022

no. 3: 20mm

perks713 likes this.
  5. w@tcher Apr 7, 2022

Hello,
    i may can help you with my below comments...

1) How loud is the watch? I know this is a little subjective but I have a bio-sourced Sigan and I honestly have a hard time wearing it since transitioning to work from home. I can hear it ticking from 5-6 feet away and no matter how much my wife claims I have selective hearing I can’t seem to select not to hear the swatch.
    It is really loud. You can hear it when there is no noise around you (distance between your wrist and your ear).

2) Is there any info on how long the battery lasts and how much running the chronograph would change that in any manual that comes with the watch? I kinda want to just run it 24/7 on a swatch.

The quartz ETA is the usual that Swatch uses at all the models.So, i suppose the same duration.

3) Have you swapped straps? 3.1) what’s the lug width? I like the idea of the Velcro strap but I don’t love some of the other Swatch bands so I’m hoping I could swap it around from time to time.
    The distance of the lugs is 20mm. You can use any strap you like. In my case, i avoid to change many straps, because of the plastic (sorry, bioceramic) lugs.

4) how durable do you think the case/crystal is? Subjective again I know but when I had my first swatch I rocked one of these and while they're undoubtedly cool, I’m planning to pick up a couple MoonSwatches as alternatives to my FOIS on the evenings/weekends while running around with my almost 3 year old and I’d hate to immediately crack the plastic ‘crystal’

The crystal seems fine and durable to me.
    I am also an owner of a FOIS. I think you will enjoy wearing it as a beater. I would advise you to choose not a colorful model. I vote Moon or Mercury...

Edited Apr 7, 2022
    Leviathan and perks713 like this.
  6. perks713 Apr 7, 2022

Nope, I choose to spend my time looking/reading about watches here.
    ---

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate the info, especially about how loud it is. I won't likely get a chance to see one in person before buying (have a friend in NYC that will attempt to pick one up for me from time to time) so I'd rather be prepared for the ticking so I'm not disappointed lol. For straps I'll maybe go with something with a quick release to avoid taking any tools to the bioceramic-plastic.

Thanks again!

w@tcher likes this.
  7. savka Apr 7, 2022

I see the the questions have already been answered but I can add an additional perspective.

This one is tough to answer. It is definitely audible in low-noise environments but not much louder than some of my noisier mechanical watches and not something I can hear all of the time. I’ve definitely had louder quartz watches that I couldn’t bear to wear. This one doesn’t bother me but it may bother you. The movement is an ETA G10 that Swatch uses in other models so it might be worth going to a store and checking one of those out to get a rough idea.

I’m not by any of the manuals right now but the watches come with a 2-year warranty and free battery changes for life at any Swatch store. So, you could run the chrono, get it replaced if you have any problems within 2 years, and not worry about batteries since Swatch will replace them whenever at no charge. The only inconvenience is going to the store when the battery dies, especially if there isn’t one near you.

The Velcro strap is awful. Maybe it will break in over time but I swapped out straps immediately and haven’t looked back. Lug width is 20mm with standard spring bars so changing straps is very easy; I’ve done it several times already to switch up the look/feel of the watch without issue. But, as was mentioned, the plastic lugs can scratch if you’re not careful.

It’s definitely not a G-Shock. The case will show marks and wear if used as a “true” beater. But it’ll handle whatever the FOIS can handle. The crystal is lower quality than Omega’s Hesalite, though I’d bet you’re gonna be dealing with scuffs more than cracks, and those can easily be polished out with some Polywatch or even toothpaste. It’s actually probably a good toddler option.

perks713 likes this.
  8. shoota70 Apr 7, 2022

use the dental floss trick to remove spring bars

perks713 likes this.
  9. bombaywalla Apr 7, 2022

interesting indeed! :thumbsdown: you wont even go to WUS to get info....
    (wasnt suggesting you become a member there or even troll the forum. Just use the search engine to get your answer...)

10. perks713 Apr 7, 2022

I appreciate the suggestion, luckily the shiny new Swatch forum resulted in some replies from members that had experience with the watch.

bombaywalla likes this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 18, 2022

Syrte likes this.
  12. 10mmauto Apr 18, 2022

Good video.

I still want one (or two.)

Torquemada likes this.
  13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 18, 2022

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.
  14. perks713 Apr 18, 2022

Both good videos, the first one you posted helps. Especially the amount of sound the watch makes.

thanks for linking those

SpeedyPhill and Pun like this.
  15. Bugbait Apr 20, 2022

Just be careful with the Swatch free battery change since the staff at Swatch aren't usually watch people. The one and only time I've used the free battery change was for my son's first Flik-Flak. They didn't replace the battery cover properly (crushed the rubber seal) so it leaked soon after when we went to the beach and the watch was destroyed. For the cost of barely £1-2 you're better off doing it yourself, it's super simple and quick to do (pop off cover).

perks713 likes this.
  16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 29, 2022

Alex Cheers likes this.
  17. A320Driver Apr 29, 2022

I wore my MoonSwatches for two weeks straight now during my vacation. Im super happy with them. The only thing that I noticed was that the straps on different watches have different thickness to them. Some wear way more comfortable than others. Earth and Mercury have been comfy while Jupiter and Mars are a bit thicker and therefore stiffer.

savka likes this.
  18. Yelfel Jun 2, 2022

I swapped out my Mission to Mars for a white rubber Horus immediately. Makes the fun experience of wearing the moonswatch that much more enjoyable.

19. savka Jun 2, 2022

They definitely look at home on rubber, but I can’t justify the cost of Horus straps; they cost about the same price as the MoonSwatch itself. They do look great, though… congrats!

20. Evitzee Jun 2, 2022

The problem with every Swatch quartz watch is they are unrepairable and will eventually fail. That's their business model. These MoonSwatches are just a temporary fun watch, but they aren't permanent like a mechanical, jewelled watch. Just accept that going in.