A few missteps on shipping to avoid.....

I've had a few problems with shipping last 6 months, just wanted to point them out here to spare anyone else....

1) I was shipping a watch from northern California to southern California via USPS priority, with full insurance. Was well packed, but I think the watch took a bump, and one of the chrono pushers was not engaging completely right on delivery. These things happen with vintage watches sometimes. Anyhow I refunded the buyer (this was ebay) $500 to do a local repair, and filed for refund of $500 with USPS.

They make the process of filing difficult, and you cannot speak with anyone, at any stage, ever. It is all done online. So I provided all the documentation, then they wanted the buyer to go to a local PO with the original shipping box and materials and item (you have to KEEP them!) for inspection. This was over the holidays and the buyer had to go to 4 different locations to find the correct staff on hand for this process. Eventually this staff person said I needed to show proof the watch was working correctly before shipping. The begs the question, how can you possibly show proof a chrono pusher is working correctly, when the issue was the amount and type of pressure required to depress it. Anyhow, I had documentation to show a full service on the watch had occurred within the past year. During this process the claim was automatically denied, without warning, for exceeding the 30 day limit on the entire process. This was mostly due to the USPS not having staff on hand to do what they required.

In any event I appealed and showed the documentation on the full service, but the appeal was denied. So I am out $500 bucks on this.

Bottom line, I think USPS insurance is probably only useful if the package is lost, good luck trying to get any money out of them for damage in most cases.

2) was doing a return from ebay purchase from seller in Argentina due to undisclosed condition issues that I didn't spot in the photos. Shipped via USPS priority, as soon as item hit customs Paypal refunded the money. Problem is package never made it out of customs. From what seller is telling me, and I have spoken with him extensively and believe he is completely honest person, the customs is somewhere between completely dysfunctional and a scam. They cannot process everything, so it's a random lottery what they try to process on any given day. They say the package is lost in the system, but they want fees paid upfront. These fees are not refunded, regardless of if the package is ever found. Now they want more fees, without any promise of finding the package, or refunding the fees if it cannot be found. Paypal will not do anything for the seller, they just leave this problem up to me to resolve. Has been going on for months, I finally refunded half the money back to the seller, since the item is lost (probably stolen in customs). I didn't have to do this, but I have sold a ton on ebay, and this is a nightmare scenario for sellers, so I am sympathetic as the buyer in this case. Splitting the $$ 50/50 seemed the honest way to go. Who knows, it's possible the watch will eventually turn up on either end, but not holding my breath. So I'm out $700 on this unless the watch resurfaces.

Bottom line, don't ship USPS to Argentina (they also don't offer any insurance to this location). I have to hope something like fedex or UPS might work better but I don't know?

Anyhow these are two transactions are among very many that have gone without a hitch, but still a bummer to lose money, live and learn.......
Edited:

Great stuff grisso....and thanks.

The more I read about these things, and experience my own shipping hazards (ex: Italy is a pure horror show), the more I'm just going to stand on USA only sales.

Does anyone feel they must offer sales outside their own country?

I really see no benefit...but that might be because I'm in a rather large market.

I'm surprised your insurance claim failed with USPS. I have had to file with them around 3 times in the last 4 years, but it was not watch related. Every time I submitted online and received a check with no questions asked in about a week.

Then again, I never tried to file a claim for a repair. Every time the items arrived shattered and photos were sufficient. I read somewhere that watches do not even fall under their $5000 insured limit.

Sorry to hear about your shipping troubles!

I'm surprised your insurance claim failed with USPS. I have had to file with them around 3 times in the last 4 years, but it was not watch related. Every time I submitted online and received a check with no questions asked in about a week.

Then again, I never tried to file a claim for a repair. Every time the items arrived shattered and photos were sufficient. I read somewhere that watches do not even fall under their $5000 insured limit.

Sorry to hear about your shipping troubles!

I suspect it will work if the damage is obvious and dramatic it could work better. However, my experience with shipping vintage watches is the damage is often much less dramatic, and "invisible", in terms of how it's functioning

Thanks Ben..personally I’d never use USPS for a watch. Parcel Pro and FedEx for me. Next ... I really don’t know if one can really protect a vintage watch movement from the bumps of a trip, no matter how much bubble wrap, tape etc that you use. I’m not sure if I would have paid the service fee honestly. I always assume I will need to service the watch.

I think in Latin America in general, spending the money for a courier who knows their stuff is the way to go. Same applies for any market where corruption is recognized as a problem.

Regarding shipments outside NA ... parcel pro all the way. Fully documented and insured. I will be willing to offer it but no discounts to cover customs will be offered. Wire transfer only. I do plan on selling this year. I need to practice on PP some before I post.

One lesson I learned recently is to use the lightest possible materials to pack. I was in a hurry recently used what I had on hand, and paid too much in freight.

That seems totally reasonable. The last few photos I sent them were of a completely shattered vase with fragments throughout the box and a picture frame with shattered glass 😲

I had a situation where the bubble mailer (the quality durable kind) was ripped wide open when the buyer recieved the item (non watch related) it was even inside a sealed bag with an official USPS doc that stated something g had happened while in the possession of the post office. Clearly not the buyers fault or mine. USPS refused to honor the insurance and claimed it was due to poor packaging. I wasn't happy about it but in the end it wasn't a huge financial loss..... just annyoing.

As a buyer, a good way to avoid postage panic is to turn the whole thing into a bit of a trip. I'm off this weekend Zurich to collect a pretty stunning Speedmaster. As well as providing peace of mind it can actually work out way more cost effective, and will definitely make the transaction more memorable.

As a buyer, a good way to avoid postage panic is to turn the whole thing into a bit of a trip. I'm off this weekend Zurich to collect a pretty stunning Speedmaster. As well as providing peace of mind it can actually work out way more cost effective, and will definitely make the transaction more memorable.

I planned on doing this a few months back. Watch was located at the shop of seller that I follow on I.G. but it's about 4+ hours away in Montreal and I'm from the Boston area. I was willing to make it a weekend away with the wife but the seller never came thru. Would have been fun and made a good story for the piece.

I was willing to make it a weekend away with the wife
I had a friend in Chicago (6-7hrs. drive) I was all set to go see.

Bought a watch bench 14 hrs. away, rented a truck and stayed in a hotel with my bride. A fantastic getaway that adds to the memories of my bench! Met a great guy and have fond memories of it all.

I lost a watch to USPS from my friend Achim @watchyouwant, I should have gone "Down Under" !

I like the F2F... I’ve bought several over beers here and in London. A most pleasant way to acquire a watch.

I had a situation where the bubble mailer (the quality durable kind) was ripped wide open when the buyer recieved the item (non watch related) it was even inside a sealed bag with an official USPS doc that stated something g had happened while in the possession of the post office. Clearly not the buyers fault or mine. USPS refused to honor the insurance and claimed it was due to poor packaging. I wasn't happy about it but in the end it wasn't a huge financial loss..... just annyoing.
Never use bubble mailers. Gotta make it hard for a potential thief.

Never use bubble mailers. Gotta make it hard for a potential thief.
I dont think it was stolen but rather got caught in a conveyor belt on its journey lol.

I dont think it was stolen but rather got caught in a conveyor belt on its journey lol.
Still..bubble wrapped watches inside boxes inside impenetrable bubble wrap tape capsules inside boxes are best. Like a Russian doll. I give @mr.kaplan props for the most theft proof, most time consuming unpacking and the most bottoned up shipping process ever! When I sell I will follow his example.

Still..bubble wrapped watches inside boxes inside impenetrable bubble wrap tape capsules inside boxes are best. Like a Russian doll. I give @mr.kaplan props for the most theft proof, most time consuming unpacking and the most bottoned up shipping process ever! When I sell I will follow his example.
Well in my example I did mention it was non watch related but more of a shipping incident story. Had it been anything delicate such as a time piece then yes, bubble mailer would not suffice.

Thanks for this shipping info OP! I restrict my watch and guitar related sales to US because of these headaches for sure!

It’s unfortunate that USPS will rarely ever admit fault unless they lose a package, then you have to go through the process of proving the value. Such a pain

Thanks Ben..personally I’d never use USPS for a watch. Parcel Pro and FedEx for me. Next ... I really don’t know if one can really protect a vintage watch movement from the bumps of a trip, no matter how much bubble wrap, tape etc that you use. I’m not sure if I would have paid the service fee honestly. I always assume I will need to service the watch.

I think in Latin America in general, spending the money for a courier who knows their stuff is the way to go. Same applies for any market where corruption is recognized as a problem.

Regarding shipments outside NA ... parcel pro all the way. Fully documented and insured. I will be willing to offer it but no discounts to cover customs will be offered. Wire transfer only. I do plan on selling this year. I need to practice on PP some before I post.

One lesson I learned recently is to use the lightest possible materials to pack. I was in a hurry recently used what I had on hand, and paid too much in freight.
Seems Fedex only insure up to $1000 for watches, is there any way to do full insurance using Fedex?

Seems Fedex only insure up to $1000 for watches, is there any way to do full insurance using Fedex?

No, I believe you have to do Parcel Pro for insurance, I don't think Fedex will do more than $1K

No, I believe you have to do Parcel Pro for insurance, I don't think Fedex will do more than $1K
Thanks. So I did tried to setup a Parcel Pro account, but it seems to assume I am a business user and the info request is quite cumbersome. I guess the question is, do most of the OFer use Parcel Pro when they buy/sell watches here, or taking chances at Fedex is common practice? What's the odds of something goes wrong with Fedex?