'69 Speedmaster - Chrono Hand Broken at Service

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been around. Hope everyone is well.

Recently, I took a 145.022-69 in for service. When I got the watch back, there was no commentary from the watchmaker. To my surprise, the chrono hand had been replaced with a teardrop hand, which looks like a tritium service hand. After spending a few minutes convincing them that this was not the original hand I turned it in with, they finally admitted the original was damaged and had to be replaced, though they didn't include the original damaged hand with the other replaced parts I had requested to be returned. Luckily, I caught the issue before I left, and they then returned the original hand to me.

I'm here to ask for the community's opinion on whether it's possible to repair this hand. Its tube is clearly split. I'm fairly convinced it's the original hand, and in any case, it matches the lume and condition of the rest of the watch well. The current, non-correct teardrop hand is an eyesore to me, so I'm hoping the original can be repaired. Clearly, my former watchmaker could not (or would not) repair it. I appreciate any thoughts or comments, as I would love to avoid hunting for or paying for a matching vintage hand.

Thanks!

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

Here are a couple more attractive shots of the watch prior to the replaced hand, just for fun.

dsc_0263.JPG

dsc_0033.JPG

Would this one be good candidate for coffee treatment? I’ve heard of it but no idea how it’s done but someone here will know.

I have made new tubes for chrono hands, so it is possible. There is a high risk of paint damage while riveting the new tube to the hand.

I had the same thing happen on a newer speedmaster chrono during service. The watchmaker replaced the tube and painted the hand by color matching the hour/minute hands.

In what country did this happen? Name and shame.
The fact they tried to hide it instead of owning up to it is completely unacceptable. If they weren’t willing or able to perform the repair themselves, they ought at least to have actioned their insurance in order to compensate you for the damage or costs of finding a correct replacement.

In what country did this happen? Name and shame.
The fact they tried to hide it instead of owning up to it is completely unacceptable. If they weren’t willing or able to perform the repair themselves, they ought at least to have actioned their insurance in order to compensate you for the damage or costs of finding a correct replacement.

This was in Houston, TX, at Atelier Watchmakers. They seem to have no regard or understanding of what is important to vintage watch owners. This wasn’t my first disappointment with them on a vintage watch, so I should have known better. They got a small oil stain on the dial of my 145.022-74 and repainted the bezel on my '60s Seawolf, despite doing everything short of begging on my knees not to polish or visually alter the watch in any way. Even the concept of not polishing the cases seemed unthinkable to them, but at least they followed that instruction.

I struggle with the risk of shipping my watches out of state or country and have found no better options locally. In this case, the watch had an issue, and my wife was due to give birth to our first son in only four weeks. I was intent on wearing this watch for his birth, so reluctantly, I allowed them to work on it. They did complete the work in time for it to be with me when he was born; I just wish the quality had been better. About a week later, they asked me to clarify for them what the correct hand was supposed to look like in order to look for a replacement. Considering they didn't notice the differences in a completely different hand for a different movement, I had little faith in them to find a period-correct and visually consistent hand to replace it and did not pursue it. But, mildly to their credit, they did make some effort to make good.

I gave them more chances than I should have because I desperately wanted to find a local watchmaker to form an ongoing relationship with, but I have made my final mistake with them. I'm now just hoping I can find a way to repair the damaged tube.

Wonder if a pin vice can squeeze the tube closed?

Can remove the hand and bury it in some dirt for a few weeks and see what happens

The coffee or tea method will only age the luminous, but could make it too dark. Tea might work better

Can't change the tail though

Wonder if a pin vice can squeeze the tube closed?
This trick may work on a regular sweep hand but it usually fails on a chrono hand: too much acceleration on reset, the hand won't keep its zero position.

That's why some factory service insist on swapping original handsets for new ones. It's much easier than trying to work with old hands and it works everytime.

This trick may work on a regular sweep hand but it usually fails on a chrono hand: too much acceleration on reset, the hand won't keep its zero position.

That's why some factory service insist on swapping original handsets for new ones. It's much easier than trying to work with old hands and it works everytime.

true