Forums Latest Members
  1. stiofan WUS topic importer May 7, 2016

Hi all

I'm trying to understand the serial numbers on this Omega Constellation: https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...xe-2852-3-cal-501-incredible-condition.37559/

They can be summarised as follows:

Movement type:
    Apparently 501, but can't see from the photos. I have not opened the case yet.

Movement serial:

Case back serial:
    2852 / 2853 SC

Problem 1:
    According to this website, the movement serial for the watch should start with 175 (gents, self-winding chronograph, water resistant) but instead it refers to 150 (gents, self-winding without seconds, ???).

Problem 2:
    The SC is a bit of a mystery. According to mondodec it might mean seconds centre. But according to this website it might mean PVD grey. Can any of you shed any light on this?

Problem 3:
    mondodec's Omega Constellation blog has a PDF on case back numbers, but 120609 isn't there anywhere. In fact, googling 120609, 120-609 or 120.609 doesn't turn up anything. Can anyone explain why this could be?

The Omega Vintage Database isn't very useful.

If any of you can help me better understand these serials, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

2. micampe May 7, 2016

Problem 1: you are mixing up serial number and reference. That table is for reference numbers, but it doesn't apply here because that system came later. The reference here is 2853-SC and I believe it's just a model number, no special meaning.

Problem 2: SC is seconde centrale here. The metal codes are rarely used and when they are they are in front of the reference, for example BA 168.023.

Problem 3: see problem 1.

3. stiofan WUS topic importer May 7, 2016

Thanks micampe. Yes the most likely explanation is I am confused or mistaken. I am quite new to watches so I'm trying to learn. Thanks for your patience.

So in your opinion, all these numbers make sense for the watch model?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 7, 2016

1. There is not problem with the serial, which dates the watch at 1956-7

2. Metal codes can be different than case codes. Here it means Center seconds.

3. The watch is a 2853,

Features
    International collection

Dimensions

Case

18K solid gold

Case Back Type

Press-in

Dial

De luxe "pie pan" 18K solid gold dial with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold "dauphine" hands.

Crystal

Armoured hesalite

Bracelet

Leather

Function

Movements
    Type

Automatic chronometer certified

Caliber Number

501 / 505

Other

Cal. 501
    Created in 1955 with 19 jewels
    Created in 1957 with 20 jewels
    Cal. 505
    Created in 1957, 24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand

4. Case back numbers are individual to the watch, no relevance except in manufacturing.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 7, 2016

6. stiofan WUS topic importer May 7, 2016

So what exactly does the "120609" mean?

In this instance, is it nothing?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 7, 2016

Nothing that is of any matter today.

It probably had meaning to the manufacturer (which was not Omega) when then case was made.
    gatorcpa

8. cristos71 May 7, 2016

It´s a lovely watch that you bought and as I think you mentioned it´s your first watch/vintage watch I´m just wondering how you feel when you strap it on and wear it?

I´m a big fan of Constellations and remember when I first bought my first De luxe being totally in awe and mesmerised by the solid gold dial and case. I couldn´t stop looking at it and thinking to myself,`` Yes! I´ve finally got a De luxe and I love it!`` I still get a great feeling when I make a purchase but with that first De luxe the feeling was special.

ahartfie likes this.
  9. stiofan WUS topic importer May 7, 2016

I absolutely love it. I feel so good wearing it, like I have some art on my wrist. I think it's a beautiful watch.

Sometimes I'm on the subway and I catch people looking at it. (I'm not flashing it, but I live in Hong Kong so generally my sleeves are somewhat rolled up because it's so hot here). A few days ago two British girls were talking to themselves, and out of the corner of my eye I could see them rotating their heads towards my watch, they then went silent for a few seconds as they looked at it, and then continued with their conversation.

I really want to buy one of these, but I think it'll be impossible:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photo's are courtesy of Desmond's excellent blog: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.fi/

ahartfie likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 7, 2016

It is basically a production number, Identifies the case for production data, internal use.

11. cristos71 May 7, 2016

Good to hear and it sounds like you already have the bug if you´re got your eyes set on scoring a 14747 ( I thought it was a 2943 until I clicked the link ) although I do think that could be quite a challenge to find a good one/any one. A 2943 or even a 2954 De luxe shouldn´t be too difficult to find, although there are a lot less calibre 504 watches around compared to the easier to locate calibre 561 and 564 Constellations.