Forums Latest Members
  1. FrostyJunction Jan 21, 2021

Well obviously not everyone will share my opinion. I am eager to learn about the reworked movement. Anyway, so far I think it looks very promising.

2. Maganator Jan 21, 2021

Like the look of the black dial one a lot.

these aren’t limited production or anything are they?

3. YY77 Jan 21, 2021

4. Dominus Bellator Jan 21, 2021

Absolutely gorgeous watch and solid movement. This should be a bread and butter release for Zenith, time will tell. (no pun intended)

Edited Jan 22, 2021
  5. cvalue13 Jan 22, 2021

Based on my read, this is the same 3600 movement that was in the 50th Ann. watch from early 2019? No?

To me, the watch too nearly suggests that someone at Zenith finally said: “we’ve reissued everything else, f*ck it let’s reissue the Daytona”

And with all seriousness, a chrono that deletes the hour totalizer for instead a 1/10th seconds central chrono? The average human hand-eye reaction time is 1/4 seconds.

In the 50th Ann set the complication made sense, because the set included the 1/10th model, the 1/100th model and the open space for the futuristic 1/1000th model.

but on a supposed bread-and-butter non-limited product line?

6. Charger_Vital Jan 22, 2021

Objectively, I think it solves a couple of problems with the sizing of the Chronomaster line (at least problems for me). Heres the synopsis: between the existing 38mm and 42mm Chronomaster dials, the 38mm dial is much better proportioned (IMO). The date window at 4 - 5 versus below the 6 fits the watch better. And the 38mm does not have all the empty space around it like the 42mm does. And the overlapping sub-dials integrate well with the dial rather than just looking like a blob of sub-dials in the middle. It's also more true to the original a386 design. But, like the a386 the 38mm can feel a little small at times. It looks great on a metal bracelet, but if you have medium to big wrists like me, putting a 38mm watch on a strap can look a bit dainty. So you are limited with your options. The 42mm is much more versatile from a sizing standpoint. At a distance, it looks great on a strap (especially a rubber strap) and on a bracelet. Yet up close it can appear slightly too big at times, especially since the watch is all dial, which makes it appear even bigger than its actual size (which is why I ultimately sold mine).

By putting an outer bezel on the Chronomaster Sport, Zenith is able to use the correctly proportioned 38mm Chronomaster dial without sacrificing the watch size (the Sport is 41mm). And at the same time - in addition to shaving off a mm in actual size - the addition of an outer bezel will make the watch wear more true to size than the 42mm. Plus, I love the black outer bezels.

With all of that in mind, just by judging it visually from the website pictures and video promo, I think the Chronomaster Sport is absolutely gorgeous. Standing on its own, its a total home run in my book. I would love to wear one.

BUT....

Like the Zenith De Luca II before it, it looks awfully similar to a Rolex Daytona. In some ways that is great because Daytonas look awesome. And access to Daytonas (at retail) is impossible. So the Chronomaster Sport gives prospective Daytona buyers a very attractive alternative - one that is actually attainable. In other ways, it feels like Zenith is playing "follow the leader" which is awkward since Zenith prides itself as being that leader (at least with respect to innovation... the 'future of watchmaking...' etc.). So criticisms about business model, branding, innovation are fair. But at the end of the day, I care what it looks like on my wrist. And I bet this will look amazing.

Dominus Bellator likes this.
  7. Charger_Vital Jan 22, 2021

I dunno... Zenith might actually look better than the rest... thoughts?

AD07E3BF-153C-41D7-AD90-BF3CBBD46522.jpeg

8. vitriol Jan 22, 2021

9. MikeFields77 Jan 22, 2021

Prefer the Omega Panda by a mile in the comparison shot!

My preference will be the Zenith black dial version which indeed looks truly unique.

10. Charger_Vital Jan 22, 2021

Interesting... They are all great watches to be sure. And I agree that there is something about that black dial that is really cool - though I might lean toward the white.

Having previously owned a 861 Speedy with Mitsukoshi dial (my first watch) as well as a tri-color 42mm El Primero... and now currently wearing a Daytona... I'm looking at this Chronomaster Sport and thinking 'Is this what I've been looking for all along?' You never really know until you see it in the flesh, so I will reserve final judgement, but this seems to have it all.

11. EauTerre Jan 22, 2021

redhed18 and YY77 like this.
  12. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jan 24, 2021

I think the new Chronomaster Sport looks quite good. If they made a “normal” chronograph and not 1/10th second, I would strongly consider it

Eve likes this.
  13. reverbtime Jan 24, 2021

Great video on the subject.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 24, 2021

Of the three I do agree the Zenith would be my pick.....

Looking at the three brands white dials above, I do prefer the black dial Speedmaster for legibility. Probably why I don’t have a white dial chronograph.

15. pongster Jan 24, 2021

I like the decimeter bezel

16. cvalue13 Jan 24, 2021

decimeter?

17. pongster Jan 24, 2021

isnt that what bezels divisible by 100 are called? Or decimal bezels?

as opposed to tachymeters, telemeters, pulsometers, etc.

Btw, how is retail pricing compared to daytona and the new speedmaster?

18. cvalue13 Jan 24, 2021

you may be right, but I’d think not until hand-held to understand otherwise

I’d think a “decimeter” bezel would be more properly understood to split one minute into 100 parts, with a minute being 100% of a standardized unit of time. One can then measure elapsed time of an event into a % of a minute.

This watch instead splits 10 seconds into 100 parts - with 10 seconds being an otherwise non-standard unit of time. What experiment/use could conceivably require knowing the % of 10 seconds elapsed?

I think instead this bezel is intended not to tell you the % of 10 seconds elapsed, but as essentially a dial-register moved to the bezel for dramatic effect (and legibility). It merely tells you to 1/10th of the second the elapsed time (the dial registers left to the remaining elapsed time info).

But who knows

19. bgrisso Jan 24, 2021

I really wish they would stop sticking that star on the end of the chrono sweep, really tacky IMO

rbob99 and Eve like this.
  20. cvalue13 Jan 24, 2021

your wish Is granted

bgrisso likes this.