Forums Latest Members

20 Years for the Omega Seamaster GMT Ref 2534.50.00

1. Soyuz Feb 20, 2018

Yes it's mine specimen

SuperHero likes this.
  2. COYI Feb 20, 2018

I've owned a 2234.50 GMT for a while and really like it - it's definitely a keeper. I had to choose between this and the 2254.50 but was won over by the addition of the GMT function - which is a true travellers GMT with a quick set hour hand.

I love the pop of red on the GMT hand and the GMT text on the dial. I also think it looks great on the speedy style bracelet and I personally prefer Seamasters without the HE valve. I know the bezel is not everyone's cup of tea but I think it looks better in person than in photographs.

Tet, SpikiSpikester, mouse and 2 others like this.
  3. Soyuz Feb 20, 2018

With strap... 382457-1027701a2dd2142a4eb4134511fd704d.jpg

Tet, Moonalf, robinhook and 7 others like this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 20, 2018

And likewise I wasn't when I said that it was, I am aware of the ISO standard for diver watches but the fact remains the GMT is a 300m water resistant watch based on the SMP minus the useless He valve and elapsed time bezel which a modern diver never uses in any event. To say it isn't at heart a divers watch is a little pedantic, IMO of course!

I think Foo's point is that people decompress for hours rather than minutes so was suggesting, perhaps tongue in cheek, that a 24hr bezel may be of more use where Heliox is involved.

Edited Feb 20, 2018
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 20, 2018

Keep in mind that your quoting the iso standard which means if you say Diver on it it must have a few things.

Oddly no Omega is iso certified and hence none of them state Diver on them....

That being said your both correct it is and is not a Diver depending on how you define a dive watch.

As for He valves and diving.

You only need this if you are exposed to He environments like inside the suit of a deep sat Diver or in a diving bell or deep sat environment.

The air mixture is He and low O2 as nitrogen acts like a narcotic under 80 feet.

He being a small molecule slips past the seals in the watch and can increase the interior pressure of a watch over 1atm. Every 33 feet your down you add 1 atmosphere. So at 660feet your rocking 21 atmospheres or so. Recreational diving is limited to 120 feet. So the He valve exists to vent this extra pressure on ascent so the crystal does not pop out due to over pressure. Side note the Speedy while not as water right allows it to vent enough air So it did not pop the crystal when exposed to vacuum (normally) There is zero need for the He valve for non deep sat commercial divers, who would not use a Diver time bezel in a deep sat environment.

So these guys that spend time in these environments are not exposed to the sun for a few days due to work and surface decompression hence why a gmt makes sense :) looks at the Explorer II Original market. If the watch was worn in an He environment it can’t be worn outside a suit and there fore the dive timer bezel is worthless.

Paedipod likes this.
  6. dinexus Feb 20, 2018

Fingers crossed we get an updated version with a 'Master' level movement this year.

7. SuperHero Feb 20, 2018

Looks fantastic on the rubber.
    For some, it could be a big on a smaller wrist as it’s molded so it doesn’t pivot on the spring bars.
    Great watch. Love it.

padders likes this.
  8. mouse Feb 21, 2018

Mine is the 2234 version with the Speedy bracelet (very comfy). It is a marmite watch yes, specifically the insert, but I actually love it for being so distinctive. The red lettered dial is a thing of beauty. I can't fault it overall, but appreciate that others may feel differently.

The only 'issue' that I do have, is that it's not the kind of watch that looks good if marked in any way - but then neither do any of the s/steel SMPs imo. For that reason it remains, for me, as merely a collectors piece to be looked at and admired now and again. It's not one I'll ever sell :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tet, BostonCanuck, George.A and 4 others like this.
  9. SuperHero Feb 22, 2018

If this is the Speedy bracelet, what is the other/ original called? It’s the same as the Seamasters 2531.80.

The original style bracelet is my preference but I never knew (still don’t know) the name...does it even have name?

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 23, 2018

The original bracelet on the 2531 is known as the Bond type but the early GMT uses a (relatively fragile) sliding clasp like those on the SM120m range, not the expanding diver clasp so it isn’t actually the same bracelet, just looks similar. The links are interchangeable though AFAIR.

SuperHero likes this.
  11. Soyuz Feb 23, 2018

Yes: bond bracelet with gold logo on clasp. Is exactly what I have on my early 2534

12. Stgo2019 Mar 6, 2018

This was my first Omega.
    There’s nothing I don’t like about it and I’ve only ever seen two in the wild.

(I just realized the bezel is off one click. I apologize to all those with OCD.)

60107184-FEE2-4A26-A618-955C26083146.jpeg

Tet, Reacher, BostonCanuck and 3 others like this.
  13. Gpiero Mar 25, 2018

My GMT

DECEF4D5-1959-4B42-94F6-C37FB4D9899C.jpeg
    Taddyangle and jets like this.
  14. jets Mar 26, 2018

The reason dials for the great white and this black 50th are not swappable is because the white dial is thicker and that makes everything inside fit a little differently making the stem for the crown sit off-center in the case. I think the white needs more layer of paint (or whatever is used to make it white) in order to be the color it is. Sort of how if you are painting a car from a dark color to bright color more coats are required vs painting a car from light to dark.

Another thing that I found out recently from another member is that the steel bezel ring from the great white 2538.20 is not interchangeable or compatible with the 2234/2534 cases. I was going to pick up a spare bezel ring to switch up the appearance from time to time so I have to find one especially for the 2534.

I just picked up one of these 2534.50 and it is in very good condition from the original owner of it. Also has the original sliding clasp.

Cheers

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 26, 2018

Good theory I suppose, but the metal dial blank is actually much thicker. Here is a photo that illustrates the difference:

[​IMG]

At the time I took this I didn't have a 25345000 in the shop so I used a 22545000 dial that I did have for comparison. I just happened to take apart a 25345000 this afternoon, and can confirm the dial on it is the same as the 22545000, so this represents the difference between the black and white GMT models accurately.

It's not paint that makes the difference.

Cheers, Al

16. teojjsg Mar 26, 2018

This was one of my first Omega watches. When i tried selling it, it took me close to 3 months and lost a lot of money. On seeing this again, i kind of regretted selling.

One of the finest GMT in my opinion.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  17. dc_in_sf Mar 27, 2018

Never understood why this model didn’t get the love that it’s non gmt brethren did. When I lost my 2254 I seriously considered getting one of these as a replacement with my insurance dollars (ended up getting a similarly unloved IWC utc model instead)

18. alam Mar 27, 2018

amen! :thumbsup: the Great White would be my choice between the two GMTs...

not mine but a photo from the interweb..

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 8.43.47 AM.png
    Moonalf and Jerseyhammer like this.
  19. ctpete Mar 27, 2018

So, did any new Omega GMTs emerge from Basel World as we had hoped??

20. jets Mar 27, 2018

I did say "I think" ;) Good info.

I still wonder why the blank is so much thicker on the 2538.