Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2021

It’s just a bezel.

2. Twocats Married... with children Apr 9, 2021

Yes indeed, the Eddie Izzard bezel ::facepalm2::

3. zefir073 Apr 9, 2021

Probably or maybe not, too early to tell ..
    However, the story is very particular and I have seen collecting interest for much less.
    Of course, I say this from my point of view, but I think everyone would like to own something rare.
    Not to you?

blufinz52 likes this.
  4. YY77 Apr 9, 2021

I have LE's with no. xx/24 and xx/100, I consider those to be rare, an 1861 with a DON bezel is not rare as every
    1861 going for service to a Omega service center could the bezel replaced with a DON in the future making yours one of many.

Neyra likes this.
  5. Dan S Apr 9, 2021

Hey, don't ruin the man's fantasy. :D

Pazzo, Linzer and eugeneandresson like this.
  6. zefir073 Apr 9, 2021

Tell him! I need to find money for my son's university! :mad::p

Neyra likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2021

You should look at the "premium" paid for a similar issue - the 220 misprinted bezels. It's not going to make anyone rich...and this is far more easily replicated by someone ordering a DON bezel and putting it on a new watch, claiming it's one of the "rare" mistakes.

Caliber561, Linzer, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  8. Twocats Married... with children Apr 9, 2021

That’s true but without the below document no one will believe it.

« I have read that Omega has already recognized this peculiarity and has also offered the Watermonkey user a document that certifies the originality of the watch,«

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2021

Sure, but what are Omega basing this on? At this point no one knows if they even have a serial number range, so it's possible I could fit on to a watch and ask Omega for a letter as well.

As I said, even other bezel "mistakes" don't give a huge premium, and I really doubt this one will either.

10. Twocats Married... with children Apr 9, 2021

I am going to play let’s pretend it’s a perfect world with my next statement so knives away boys.

in the Omega stock there are a batch of DON bezels signed out at X day and date, it may or may not have been noticed but it was obviously only after the watches in question have shipped.

logically (Irishman here so...) the bezels would have been fitted to a range of recent serial numbers known to Omega as they would be 2020 models.

Is that all far to simplistic ? Omega must know what happened and how.

11. Dan S Apr 9, 2021

OK, but ... who cares? ::confused2::

12. Twocats Married... with children Apr 9, 2021

Eddie Izzard ?

watermonkey and Dan S like this.
  13. watermonkey Apr 9, 2021

Hi @zefir073 ... thanks for your PM I am glad to hear that I am not the only one... although I considered myself happy or content with what records I have from both omega and AD. They offered to replace it with the correct bezel under warranty which I did deny. I have all this downloaded / backed up.

But to be clear I dont have a "certificate" but enough to evident explicitly that it was an assembly issue and not some job done outside the factory or a replacement later on.

Honestly if this was on a Rolex it would be a huge deal but perhaps not a biggie on our Omegas. It doesnt really matter to me at this point if this makes it more valuable ..as long as its authentic and recognized by Omega.

@Twocats -- warming up to Eddie Izzard :D:D -- maybe we rename the thread ?

roman9662 and Twocats like this.
  14. watermonkey Apr 9, 2021

maybe someone else who knows more about serial numbers could pitch in but there is a difference of 400 between mine and @zefir073 serial numbers ... mine being a higher number. could this mean there could be that many in a batch with this bezel?

If there is a majority perhaps Omega would publicly recognize a batch between a Sr No range .. but it would probably be a matter too small to officiate a response.

15. zefir073 Apr 9, 2021

Hi @watermonkey, Omega also offered me the free bezel insert replacement, but I declined.
    Also I will keep the emails / documentation for the future and have no problems with the service.
    Regarding the possible collector interest we will see, it is certain that it is a very particular situation and I would like to investigate to understand how many Moonwatches have come out like this.
    Do you want to work on it with me?
    Another thing.
    Some here seem bothered by this thing, but I think that a genuine enthusiast should be interested in such a circumstance, even if only as a reason for in-depth study and documentation.
    Among other things, this is the last reference "certified by Nasa" if I am not mistaken.
    I would add that my very helpful dealer is asking Omega experts for an opinion.
    I keep you updated!
    Best regards,
    Lorenzo

p.s. I don't know who this Eddie Izzard is, but I propose a more Latin "Don 1861" ..:thumbsup:

16. watermonkey Apr 9, 2021

i think many will find this topic interesting ... we are all passionate here and there is bound to be difference of opinion ..which too is important. I knew a lot of about the moonwatch but the depth in this forum is at another level so we can stay realistic.

How can we collaborate on uncovering more ?

blufinz52 likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 9, 2021

You might be missing the point that the 220 bezel can’t be easily recreated as the bezels don’t exist.

those very rare 220 bezels between the DON and DNN have little extra value over the DNN version of the watch.

18. watermonkey Apr 12, 2021

This popped up on FB Speedmaster group as which one to buy ... I have contacted him

[​IMG]

19. Dor_42 Apr 12, 2021

Wow, is this the angle or does these Chrono seconds hand are poorly aligned?
    Or just not reset?

20. zefir073 Apr 12, 2021

It seems to me that it is the perspective, in fact they are both in the same position.