Forums Latest Members

13ZN Chronographs Inquiries and Information.

1. Radiumpassion Dec 5, 2018

Looks great. Period correct strap is also pretty cool.

Dan S likes this.
  2. Dan S Dec 7, 2018

Many thanks @Radiumpassion @minutenrohr and @notaroaugelli. I may give that eBay 13ZN a shot. Looks like a bit of a project since it's apparently not running, but I have a good watchmaker and it could be worth the risk.

Radiumpassion likes this.
  3. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 10, 2018

Ended at USD 13.291!!!! (with 3 legit looking bidders at around USD 13k)

Dan S likes this.
  4. divetime Dec 10, 2018

It is a 13zn so the price was 13k...
    Nice original watch in need of work with some pitting and discoloration on the original dial. Not a bad outcome for a 35mm watch on EBay.
    Dan have you been successful - will it find a new home in the OF family?

Dan S likes this.
  5. yako54 Dec 10, 2018

Well, if someone pours blood into the water he should not be surprised if some serious sharks show up...:D

With my snipe some kUSD too low I was also astonished it went that high - but on closer inspection it's no real surprise. I see three reasons:
    1. Great all-original example with very pleasing patina, movement looks fantastic
    2. Unmolested "barnfind" condition and matching numbers confirmed by Longines
    3. Last but not least: If it has been ever under the radar this changed significantly when it was posted here. I think many, many serious collectors and a lot of (to say the least) big dealers are following OF - for good reason. This expresses the relevance and great value of OF when it comes to collecting, but can be also a double edged sword sometimes...

Syrte, Woops, JohnSteed and 5 others like this.
  6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 10, 2018

I didn’t see this thread until just now. I came in second on this watch. It never once crossed my mind to post it here because I really wanted it and I ALSO LIKE MONEY.
    Congrats to the victor, who wanted it at least a little bit more!:thumbsup:

JohnSteed, gemstar, LouS and 3 others like this.
  7. Dan S Dec 10, 2018

Yes, I won the auction ... still a bit in shock. I hear what @yako54 and @MMMD are saying, and perhaps I shouldn't have posted it here, and reached out to experts by DM instead. So maybe I overpaid. On the other hand, very little flies under the radar on eBay, and there were three of us who put very similar values on it, so perhaps it was inevitable ... but I apologize if people think my posting was inappropriate. :thumbsdown:

I have been looking for several years, and it has been hard to find a legit 13zn except for the apparently pristine pieces that are listed for astronomical prices on dealer websites or sell for astronomical prices at major auctions. Anything else I see is a re-dial or is completely trashed. This one has flaws but is still appealing to me.

Perhaps I will start a new thread with photos when it arrives. Other examples I have seen of this reference are listed as 36mm, so I will measure it and see whether it is 35mm or 36mm. I would be very grateful for suggestions about what to do with it from others who have similar Longines pieces. I won't be rushing to make any decisions.

gemstar, obrw, khmt2 and 6 others like this.
  8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 10, 2018

First off, dibs of course.

Next congratulations! And since I hadn’t seen your post here before bidding, you can take comfort in the knowledge that the pain I inflicted on you was coming anyway :D

I think it will be at least 36mm by the way.

Edited Dec 10, 2018
    Dan S likes this.
  9. yako54 Dec 10, 2018

@Dan S big congrats! I think you did well with your bid, two other guys in the same ballpark are evidence enough. Especially if someone like @MMMD enters the ring. Once it is restored you will be happy you went that high.

I am in the same situation regarding 13ZNs as you were and totally share your view on what's availbale on the market and how it is priced. Hope my turn will also come one day. Should start putting money aside right now as these won't get cheaper:D

Regarding it's size I also think these are at least 36 mm. Also found one link on the web calling this reference "oversized". Would be happy if you share it upon arrival and after it went to the spa (will send you a a special recommendation by PM).

JohnSteed, MMMD and Dan S like this.
  10. divetime Dec 10, 2018

Congratulations Dan! You bought a nice and honest watch and you are right it is not easy to find one like this.
    Possibly in this moment you think it was a high price but in one or two years you will have forgotten that.
    By the way I was bidding as well but not to the very end.
    If you really want something that nice and rare you have to be ready to do more than others.
    Enjoy this beauty, keep us updated about the progress of restauration and give it many hours of wearing time always with a smile in your face. Well done Dan

Dan S and Mark020 like this.
  11. vujen Dec 10, 2018

Congratulations! Amazing watch.

Dan S likes this.
  12. olivecrona Dec 10, 2018

Dan, case is unpolished, original factory finisging. All original and native. You bought a great watch. I expected an higher price. Congratulations.

Dan S and Mark020 like this.
  13. Dan S Dec 10, 2018

Thanks to each of you for the kind and supportive comments. It’s natural for me to doubt myself after a major purchase like this, especially on eBay. So your responses mean a lot to me.

And @yako54, thank you for the suggestion that you sent by DM. I hope to avoid international shipping, but I’m not ruling it out.

yako54 and divetime like this.
  14. gemstar Dec 10, 2018

Great watch .Congratulations!

Dan S likes this.
  15. Dre Dec 11, 2018

Just saw this, I was the third bidder. I thought I came second when I saw the winning bid, not that close apparently :oops: Massive congrats @Dan S !!

GuiltyBoomerang and Dan S like this.
  16. Dan S Dec 11, 2018

Many thanks for posting your comment @Dre. That is really crazy that the three of us independently put such similar values on the watch, especially since it's so difficult to find comparable sales. It's also interesting what this says about OF. To be completely honest, knowing that such knowledgeable and experienced collectors also wanted this watch helps my confidence a lot. And knowing that @Dre and @MMMD did not see this thread prior to bidding tells me that there was obviously no way that I was going to get the watch any cheaper. :)

Mark020 and MMMD like this.
  17. minutenrohr Dec 11, 2018

...sorry I´m late. I just saw this:
    Lugs.jpg

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  18. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 11, 2018

For different straps/bracelets? :eek:

19. minutenrohr Dec 11, 2018

...has to be repaired. Maybe one could ask the seller for a little refund. The double holes weren´t clearly visible (IMO - without image processing)...

Dan S likes this.
  20. Dan S Dec 11, 2018

I saw that ... it needs repair/restoration, no doubt. I'm also not in love with this particular low quality case-back engraving. First-hand recommendations for a specific shop would be sincerely appreciated. LA Watchworks comes to mind. I was going to wait until I had the watch in hand to take better photos and ask this question, but since it's been posted, I'll throw it out there now. In fact, I need to figure out whether there should be a drilled hole at all, just an inner hole for a spring-bar, or a fixed lug. Anyone who has a ref 5020, please let me know.

Edited Dec 11, 2018