Forums Latest Members

Zenith & Movado connection and more

1. 0uss Oct 12, 2019

Hello folks,

So i got this really cool Movado Datron HS 360 recently. the watch seems all original and i'm enjoying every single moment wearing it!
    I believe Movado and Zenith collaborated back in the 70s hence the superb El primero 3019PHC inside. Surprisingly, it appears that Zenith delivered signed straps and buckles along with this model which contributes to its cool factor.
    Overall, the watch is in great condition except for a thing or two and any help on these matters will be greatly appreciated:

- The crystal is badly damaged but original to the watch with the small Movado logo etched in the center. It's not aesthetically great but original. Should i replace it or try to polish it? i doubt the big crack at 3 o'clock would disappear.
    - The chronograph function keeps accurate time, starts and stops as it should but resests off the 12 o'clock mark as seen on the first pic. Can i recalibrate it alone or should i bring it to a watchmaker?

I would love to hear some more observations and additional informations regarding this model. Forgive the long post and i hope you enjoy the photos as much as i do.

Thanks for reading :) Cheers !

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG

2. KingCrouchy Oct 13, 2019

Great Watch. My understanding is that they collaborated mainly because Zenith wasn't allowed to sell and market Watches in the USA under the Zenith brand because of the Zenith Radio Corporation in the 60-70s. So they produced and delivered parts to Movado.

0uss likes this.
  3. Dan S Oct 13, 2019

- A crack in the crystal can't be repaired. It's your choice about whether you'd like to replace it or live with it.
    - To adjust the sweep hand, it needs to be removed from the pinion, and re-installed in the correct position. This is generally a job for someone experienced, to avoid damaging the dial or hands.

0uss likes this.
  4. Walrus Oct 13, 2019

You have a very nice looking watch. I really like those vintage movados and this one you have with the Zenith connection is beautiful.

0uss likes this.
  5. 0uss Oct 13, 2019

I believe they stripped most movements coming to the states from 31 to 17 jewels to reduce import taxes too. I gotta check my movement asap! :D

6. 0uss Oct 13, 2019

I think i'm going to replace the crystal and keep the original one in case i wanna sell it. I'll make sure to give it to a good watchmaker to re-install the seconds hand too. Thanks a bunch @Dan S :thumbsup::)

7. 0uss Oct 13, 2019

Yes indeed! Thank you @Walrus :):):)

Walrus likes this.