Forums Latest Members

Zenith Captain Chronometre Cal 133.8

1. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 15, 2012

Well this is a bit anticlimactic, after this and this (scroll down to the beautiful square golden thing at the bottom), but allow me to present... the shiniest of the three gold Zenith references from the 1950's posted on this forum today.

[​IMG]

The 1959 Captain Chronometre, Zenith's answer to the Omega Constellation de Luxe, in highly reflective 18K gold.

[​IMG]

And on the back, the mysterious Z-that-looks-like-an-hourglass-inside-a-ship's-wheel-or-balance-wheel-or-something logo... only seen on watches of the Captain model line... Zenith's answer to the igloo under a starry arctic sky or whatever it is on the back of those Connies ;) . There appears to be some residual black pigment within that Z; perhaps this was originally painted. Come to think of it, that crown looks a bit like the lug nut one might find on a Connie... and, unlike most gold-tone Zenith crowns, I suspect that this one might be solid 18K, as the 'Z' is quite worn but I don't see any steel underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cal 133.8 movement, a bumper automatic with 20 jewels running at 21,600 bph, one of the first automatic movements with a direct central seconds hand. 77,000 were produced throughout the 1950's; I don't know how many were certified and marked on the rotor as chronometres, but I think it is quite a small percentage. The screws on this one look untouched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is one like this in Rössler (p.118), but it is a cal 71. The obvious question: how could anyone cut a date window into such a perfect dial? Barbarous.

[​IMG]

Maybe too shiny for daily wear... but perfect for tonight's office holiday party.

Hijak, SeanO and Stewart H like this.
  2. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2012

"Oooooo shiny!" is right. :thumbsup: Like those shark tooth markers too.

3. Kommis Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 16, 2012

And Captain steel

Zenithar Chronometre 015.JPG Zenithar Chronometre 019.JPG

MMMD and SeanO like this.
  4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 16, 2012

The Turtle! Very nice. Another hole in my collection.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 16, 2012

Not anticlimactic at all. In fact, I love that. I love it so much that this watch is now going to occupy one of the two free slots on my short list.

It's also interesting in light of the brief discussion we had about the veneer on the dial of the Port Royal http://omegaforums.net/threads/the-zenith-flagship-pulls-in.2722/
    The veneer on this one must have been removed with no damage that I can see and considerable benefit. I wish I knew who did the job. The PR looks positively dingy compared to this one.

We should really have a separate thread on the turtle-case Captains - both Kommis and I are huge fans, and Kommis is a serious connoisseur.

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 16, 2012

Wait! What?! I possess a watch that has made it onto the LouS short list? This is all too topsy-turvy. I'm going to have to lie down for a bit. :confused:

7. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Dec 16, 2012

IMG_1818.jpg
    And, for the first time on this forum, my own shiny 133.8, acquired a few weeks back as many members will know:

IMG_1811.jpg
    New Westminster-20120914-00216_2.jpg
    Z133.8mv.jpg

vc fans likes this.
  8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 16, 2012

Chris, that is a sweet, sweet watch.

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 16, 2012

I wonder about that. I have seen similar dials on Cal 71 Captains that appear lacquered, for example the one in Rössler and this similar one from the VeldesZenith archives: Gold Captain Cal 71.
    The 133.8 gold Captain chronometres I've seen have just looked shinier, as if the lacquer was applied more lightly or not at all, for example:
    Antiquorum 2006 (as usual, crappy photo)
    The Farfo that Got Away (this one he describes as having a "polished gold perimeter".
    Bill Sohne's Captain 133.8 (and nice Seamaster for comparison).

My watch looked so untouched in other respects - case not polished, crystal with a bunch of micro-scratches until I Polywatch-ed it, movement totally unmucked with, original crown, etc., that it's hard for me to believe that someone has stripped a lacquer veneer from the dial and left it looking so good. Perhaps by 1959 the dial maker had realized that they should go easy on the lacquer and let it shine.

Yes, very dingy. Beneath you, really. I was going to say something, but you were so excited about it. And now the buyer's remorse is of course setting in. Why don't you let me take it off your hands? I'm sure we could work something out.

10. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2012

:p

If you get him in a selling mood, contact me immediately. There's a manual wind Longines I'd like to pry from his grip.

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

12. Veritas99 Jan 14, 2013

When is anything from Veldes not overpriced?

13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 14, 2013

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 14, 2013

I'm sure I've seen that case back before, but I'd remember the dial if they went together.

15. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Jan 26, 2013

Just got my own 133.8 back from the watchmaker, with a new crystal and a clean up. The hands were a bit messy, but came up nicely as they proved to be solid gold and could be polished.

IMG_2402.jpg IMG_2403.jpg