Forums Latest Members

Fall Vintage Zenith Safari - 2012 Edition

1. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2012

I make up words all the time. ::screwloose:: Sometimes they're funny, sometimes they bomb..... but you gotta try because you never know.

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 13, 2012

Neorologisms... is a new word to describe what you're talking about.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

some proper pics of arriva #2, the A 277, as promised

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

an oblique shot to highlight the dome crystal. Bezel needs a lume pearl.
    [​IMG]

dial closeup - lume not that green to the naked eye, but it does show that the second hand is a replacement
    [​IMG]

Cal 146
    [​IMG]

a catalog shot
    [​IMG]

If anyone knows where I can find ZF endpieces, give me a holler.

The third arrival is in my sweaty paws - images coming later today. For those who like to guess - it is not a chronograph

iChristos, flame, Gavin and 2 others like this.
  4. Veritas99 Dec 15, 2012

Very nice, the dial looks to be in excellent condition. It's hard to find those white subdials in such nice shape.

For those looking to emulate Lou's acquisition (and grossly overpay), an A277 with more damage to the bezel and subdials just popped up on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-r...0677511?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item3a7cba2687Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The seller is someone that requires you to do your research before buying...many of his offerings have Zenith parts that not are original to the watch offered (e.g., a white date wheel on a copper-faced Class 4). I bought my A3818 from him. It has a service replacement 40.0 movement, but it's actually the same watch featured on p. 247 of Rossler (with the case restored to a brush finish).

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 15, 2012

Is it square and shiny?!

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

It is square and shiny, and it goes bump (to get Stewart's attention). Tune in later...

7. ulackfocus Dec 15, 2012

This forum is getting fun!

..... and potentially expensive.

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 15, 2012

Uh-oh. I too have something shiny and bumpy in hand. It's about to get blingy up in here.

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 15, 2012

Lou. Is it chronometric or did you get the one from Argentina?

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

OK, here it is, nothing less than #1 off of the short list, the big Zenith cioccolatone (as our Italian collecting colleagues would say), in 18K pink gold.

[​IMG]

This one is all about the case. Beveled and massive, it makes a tremendous impression on the wrist. I love the lens-like convexity of the watch as a whole
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back lifts off easily and is properly marked
    [​IMG]

Inside is a 133.8, also from the mind of Ephrem Jobin like the 135, and almost as pretty to look at. Serial number puts it at about 1958.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I just happen to have a piece of Camille Fournet alligator in an appopriate color and a color-matched buckle
    [​IMG]

It makes a significantly different impression than the later Respirator - note also the difference in the shade of gold
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now in addition to wearing this one, I have the pleasure of repopulating 2 places on my short list!

I do need a proper "Z-in-star" crown for this watch - if anyone can help me, speak up!

One watch to go - I've been writing to the seller asking for the tracking number. Today he replied, saying that there is a tracking number but he does not know what it is. ::facepalm2::
    I hope the postal system comes through despite this guy.

MMMD, rbird7282, kyle L and 2 others like this.
  11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

That's a nice looking square watch - sort of reminds me of some of the mid-50s omega models that contained bumper movements. They were also very uncommon to locate especially in rose/pink gold.

12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

Really nice Lou, my aunt has an Omega that looks very similar. I understand your pain...I have one tank coming from Germany and it's been a month without any tracking update. :unsure:

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 16, 2012

Lovely.

I've got a couple of interesting observations. I notice that a watchmaker (in 1995?) has put his mark in the runner for the oscillating weight rather than scratch it into the gold of the case back - good innovation.

The second one is that you can see that you have the start of the oscillating weight rubbing problem. If you look at the right hand side of the weight, the plating has started to wear off in the semi-circular rebate that is supposed to clear the winding wheel. My theory is that either the staff or jewels that make up the axel for the weight, wear and allow the parts to rub. Obviously you don't want swarf (no matter how small) to be floating around in a watch, so I would recommend a clean and service before wearing.

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 16, 2012

It should be easy enough to pick up a crown, there's usually a few floating around on eBay. The tap size is the usual 0.9mm, unlike the larger one used on the 135.

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 16, 2012

Well observed, esp the second aspect. In the last 24 hours I realize I've made a rookie mistake in my enthusiasm for the piece. The case should contain a gilded metal piece to stabilize the movement and keep the weight off the caseback.
    [​IMG]
    I realized it when I saw there was a little play in the dial when pilling out the crown to set the time, and started to compare images in my image library. I had the same image library to consult before the purchase, but I simply did not see it. I can't hold the seller responsible, as he sent me very good pictures - nobody's fault but my own. In any case, that's why there is a rubbing problem.

So I'm searching for the part - it may not be a pointless quest as some of these have cases no doubt been melted down, and the spacer is base metal and may be left over. If anyone spots anything like this, please let me know - esp you Stewart - I know a lot of Zenith bumpers pass through your hands.

16. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2012

Made a similar mistake myself. What I thought were correctors for the calendar were broken off screws for crown guards. I don't even remember what watch is was because it was purchased and sold years ago, but I do remember that lesson.

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 16, 2012

the thing that burns me a little is that intuitively I ought to know that leaving a big hollow space in the case is totally inconsistent with Zenith's usual watch finish.

Blinded by desire...

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

The missing fourth watch has still not arrived. The seller insists he sent it, but does not provide a tracking number or a photograph or scan of a receipt from the Poste Italiane. The strangeness of this perhaps ought to have aroused my suspicions earlier. What can I say but that much seems clearer through hindsight than as it happens? I have opened an "Item Not Received" case with Ebay - first time I've had to do this across national Ebays (Ebay.com to Ebay.it) - we will see how it goes.

19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 30, 2012

Good luck Lou. I must admit that I have been waiting for a buckle from the Netherlands for the last 4 weeks - might have to go down this route myself soon.

20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

Well that didn't take long. The seller finally shook out a tracking number. I'd asked him four times previously, but he only sent one now that I opened the dispute. And it reveals that he only sent the watch on December 19, even though the sale closed on December 3. And now he asks me to close the dispute...not until I have the piece in my sweaty grip, I think.