Forums Latest Members

Zenith A386. I need your comments :)

1. speedmaster971 Oct 27, 2016

Watch in an overall quite good condition. I'd take it...

2. speedy57 Oct 27, 2016

I'm not an expert, but I like it. A386 seems so hard to get in any condition, it seems a really clean one that is extremely wearable is a great find. Congrats!

3. spin_transistor Oct 29, 2016

I'd buy it, for the right price!!

4. plexyforever Oct 30, 2016

Great!:thumbsup:
    We need new pics.

5. Frederic_gva Oct 30, 2016

New photos with sunlight... Just received them.

Decision will be taken today i guess :whistling:

DSC_2342~2.jpg DSC_2346~2.jpg
    khmt2 and ELV web like this.
  6. Frederic_gva Nov 1, 2016

I found another one from chrono24 (price is way too high but I can try to negotiate....)

looks 100% original except later crown, dial is really clean and neat

case looks unpolished though, bevel edges are still present

dial2.PNG dial.PNG case.PNG backcase.PNG FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg
  7. Mlafra Nov 2, 2016

it is a very nice example too, also MKIII.
    These A386 are getting harder and harder to find in good/excellent conditions and with all original parts...
    You mentioned thisone has a later crown, not perfect but not too bad of a sin either given the rest of the condition.
    Between this latest one and the one you posted first I would go for the first one if price is relatively a lot lower.
    Consider also value of box and papers and bracelet in general, they might make a big difference, the bracelet alone (specially the correct end links) is worth quite a lot (I know these 2 both come with the ladder bracelet but in case you decide to pass on both and wait for a new one, take that in consideration)

Frederic_gva likes this.
  8. Frederic_gva Nov 2, 2016

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate really.
    The 2nd one looks to have a slightly better dial/inner bezel, not polished and full set. Later crown, but I guess it is not impossible to find one
    Both have GF bracelet with ZJ end links
    Price for the first one is 12.5K eur. I can try 12K eur.
    Price for the 2nd could be around 14.5K eur after negotiation.... maybe ?
    a lot of money.. :(

crown.PNG
  9. Mlafra Nov 2, 2016

I know the second one. I caveat it by saying that I am not 100% sure, but I'm 90% sure that it is not really full set, in the sense that those aren't the correct box and papers for an A386 from 1970... I'll let also other to chime in on this.
    I think of all the ones that you see on the same site where you probably (I think) found the one you posted, only one has the correct full set (the one with the square red box, which to be honest is also probably not 100% correct in the sense that if the watch had a steel bracelet I believe it came with the "famous" cylindrical red box instead of the flattish square one, that is though also correct I thing if the watch had a strap)

10. Frederic_gva Nov 2, 2016

You are right !! It was originally for sale in August for 12.5 K eur without box and papers, and all of a sudden, price went to 16K eur with a box and papers... it fell from the sky or what ??
    They told me price is higher due to high demand... weird... then why the watch has not been sold ??

11. mappleluna Nov 2, 2016

If ever source one or two please let me know, looking for one for quite some time now...

12. Mlafra Nov 2, 2016

I agree with mappleluna, not easy at all to find....
    As for what dealers say... very often they are just doing their job as car salesmen, or in this case watches salesmen.... how can I put it....they don't necessarily always report actual truths.... ;)

plexyforever and Frederic_gva like this.
  13. photovillage Dec 16, 2016

mine is a type 3 and lume plots are quite dark as with this one, but bevels do look softer. My crown is different, but I have always assumed it to be replaced. I have skinny sub hands too I think...but I'm not 100% sure mine is a type 3, that was the seller's thought and the dark lume and a few other small factors seemed to bare that out.

Does anyone know what the breakdown is for each type by serial number approximately?

14. Frederic_gva Dec 16, 2016

15. naidu Dec 16, 2016

to @Frederic_gva :
    Finally did you bought one of the two previous A386 ?

16. Frederic_gva Dec 17, 2016

Yes !!! I received it yesterday....:whistling::whistling::whistling: this watch is awesome:). This is the holy grail to me...

Case is polished (we knew it...), but the job was done by someone really skilled.

All parts are originals.... However it would be interesting to know why chrono hands are mk1... It guess they wanted to finish the mk1 stock before fitting mk2/3 hands...

GF bracelet is stamped 4/70

DSC_9067~2.jpg
    chronoboy64, MaiLollo, ATWG and 5 others like this.
  17. Zuke Dec 17, 2016

Frederic_gva likes this.
  18. naidu Dec 18, 2016

Very nice catch, congrats !!

Frederic_gva likes this.
  19. Mlafra Dec 19, 2016

finally you got it! Congrats! I am sure you will love it every day more, it really is one of the best chronographs ever made IMHO, good looking and great technically, of historical importance and also relatively rare! It really has it all

Frederic_gva likes this.
  20. ATWG Dec 19, 2016

Very nice, wear it in good health.

Frederic_gva likes this.