Your opinion on a black-dialed 2846 - is the dial original?

Hi OF

I have come across this SS 2846 with a remarkable black dial offered on IG. I'd like to run it through the experts before pulling the trigger. I believe the dial to be original and not refurbished given the fainted script. The fonts match with those of a 2846 I already own. I've already run it through some members through DM and they also think the dial is legit, but suggested I ask the wider community to be 100% sure.

Other than that the case is in a nice condition IMO, not overly polished, some scratches here and there, but no major dings. The crown is original. The movement also looks clean but probably needs a service given the regulator's position.

It's offered for EUR 700 which I think is a fair price for a Seamaster which such a nice black dial.

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks OF

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-03 um 16.57.35.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-03 um 16.58.03.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-03 um 16.58.27.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-03 um 16.58.35.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-03 um 16.58.43.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-03 um 16.58.53.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-03 um 16.59.06.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-03 um 16.59.18.png

First question that springs to my mind is where is the lume on the dial given that the hands are lumed?

First question that springs to my mind is where is the lume on the dial given that the hands are lumed?

I'd second that question, though everything else looks very good, and the big hippocampus caseback, while not rare or anything, is cool as well.

The dial looks original and everything looks good to my eye. Sometimes the aged radium on a black dial can be all but impossible to detect without a UV light. And if the hands were replaced, they are definitely the right style for that reference. As you said, you have a 2846 to reference so you already know it’s a tad bit polished. My 2846 caseback says hello: 1B4525C4-0F55-497F-91D9-73F7842027B5.jpeg
At that price, I’d say go for it

For €700 I'd want everything to be okay - to me there are just too many issues on this one. The dial is worn (look at the uneven fading around the logo, center of the dial and at eleven o'clock), the case is quite polished and the hands have been replaced.

I would want better photos to know that the dial is original. The text looks like orange paint to me, not gilt.

Lumed hands with an unlumed dial are OK, it's lumed dials with unlumed hands that are an issue. You can tell the time by looking at lumed hands.

I think the dial may be original, but much better photos are needed. Looking at some of them I do get the essence of a gilt dial which has been cleaned.

Wow, I've been playing with the kids since posting the thread and didn't expect that many responses so fast. First of all, thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts, you're great.

Needless to say, my excitement for the watch has come down a few notches after reading your comments. Obviously, I did not pay enough attention to the hands. That's definitely a lesson learnt. As for the state of the case, yes, it is more polished than the other example I already own, but frankly I could live with that. The crucial question remains whether the dial is original. I will ask the seller for better pictures. If he doesn't provide any, the endeavor ends here.

And if based on hopefully better pictures, the dial can be confirmed as original, I would still try to negotiate down the price for the other issues you've raised.

Lumed hands with an unlumed dial are OK, it's lumed dials with unlumed hands that are an issue. You can tell the time by looking at lumed hands.

Thanks for your point of view, but do you also agree with the others that the hands were replaced even though they do not pose an issue in practical terms?

I just realise more and more how little I know - not just about watches lol

Case is polished, I personally don't prefer this metal blings under the sunlight. Hands are definetely replaced, compare them to hour markers on the 3rd pic - there is 2 different gold colours. The last question is the authenticity of the dial.

Edit: while I left the laptop for making a cup of tea, OP already answered. 😀

I think it's a redial. The gold printing indicates gilt and this looks painted rather than printed on top of the dial (as someone has mentioned). And yes the hands don't look right for a 2846 like the slots for the radium. Also no radium on the dial? Too many 😕 for me. PASS

I have to say that I disagree.

Unless we're talking special orders at the point of buying, I have yet to see anything to support that this has ever been offered by Omega. Luming both dial and hands make sense from a marketing perspective as well - if the buyer wants lume in his watch, why only put it in the hands?

And yes the hands don't look right for a 2846 like the slots for the radium.

I share this sentiment. The shape of both lume cut-outs and the hands in general are off.

The crucial question remains whether the dial is original. I will ask the seller for better pictures. If he doesn't provide any, the endeavor ends here.

I would be amazed if it wasn't a correct dial. You don't see many old, black redials and most are fairly bad. This has the aging to suggest that it is at the very least period.

Hands are definetely replaced, compare them to hour markers on the 3rd pic - there is 2 different gold colours.

Some variation is normal - a lot of Constellations have slightly rose gold hands w/ yellow gold markers. This may be due to aging.

Re. price - if the dial had been in good shape, the case great and the hands correct - how much would you guys think it could fetch? €1000? €1200?

Tough one. I don’t like the Omega Automatic text in general but particularly the G in Omega. And it doesn’t look gilt to me.

Here’s one of mine for reference:
501F22BF-C60B-42C6-95CA-FF50B812A302.jpeg

Another reference, but you can compare the writings:
20210107_115524.jpg
20210107_115231.jpg

Difficult to tell, if the colour is correct on this 2846, you have found...

The final 'e' and 'r' in Seamaster look a bit suspect to me, although I haven't spent any time comparing it to other dials of this period but that's what I'd be doing if I was thinking of buying it.
Edited:

I used to own a 2848 with a very similar dial design (albeit in white) and tried to use screenshots for comparison. Mine had the same style -er of Seamaster, unlike the one from @seekingseaquest for example, in which the line from the bottom of the t to the top right corner of the e is straight. Not sure how well this turns out regarding resolution of the picture, but let’s give it a try. I wouldn’t have spotted this as a redial, and even with close ups I’m not so sure. Yes, the black dial is a little fuzzy here and there but that might well be from a cleaning attempt for example.

Oh, and sorry for the second hand in the picture there. It was the only one I had left from straight on.

27F212F6-9C46-4E81-9876-9974AF1A553B.jpeg

To me the biggest thing working for the dial being original is the appearance of gilt under the black around the edges and the consistency of the fading of all the lettering down to the Swiss Made. And I take back what I said about the hands but I lean towards the dial being original. BCE0A315-E7E6-46C4-B2D9-9ED3E65BCF81.jpeg 6EB50EA4-3B00-4EAB-B8D3-AE1CF7F79D97.jpeg