1. alam Jul 18, 2015

Woodford Reserve..

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Traveler Jul 19, 2015

Large Vespers

image.jpg

Jimmypongo and blubarb like this.
  3. ulackfocus Jul 19, 2015

Opened a bottle of 2001 Pride Merlot and 2008 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray.

ralpher and gophishin like this.
  4. blubarb Jul 21, 2015

Dry Martini, Miss Moneypenny, shaken not stirred.
    "Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel. Got it?"
    "Certainly, monsieur, Bond" The barman seemed pleased with the idea.

Good onyer, Traveler. You've got the class in the glass.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 31, 2015

This thread has been too quiet! A Georgian wine my sister brought back
    image.jpg

The wine is fermented and aged in a Kvervri
    From wiki:

[​IMG]
    Kvevri
    A Kvevri (Georgian: ქვევრი) (often incorrectly spelled as "Qvevri") is a large (800-3500 litres) earthenware vessel originally from Georgia in the Caucasusand dating back to about 8000 BC. It has an inside coat of beeswax, resembles an amphora without handles and is used for the fermentation and storage of wine, often buried below ground level or set into the floors of large wine cellars.

The kvevri is part of traditional Georgian wine making. In the past it was also used for storing grain, butter, cheese, vodka, marinades and a host of perishable foodstuffs, though it was developed primarily for wine making in Georgia. Such large ceramic storage vessels were made in many countries, though none can claim the central importance of large ceramic vessels for wine fermentation.

Makers of kvevri wine claim that such wine is stable by nature, rich in tannins, not requiring chemical preservatives to ensure its long life and superior in taste. The tannins found in this wine limit protein content and prevent turbidity.[1]In the wine-making process, grapes are poured into the kvevri, crushed and left to ferment and mature. Over a period of days, the grape skins are pushed down on the hour and the kvevri is finally covered with a suitable-sized stone cap sealed with clay, and left undisturbed for up to two years. When the wine is ready it is pumped out and bottled, after which the kvevri is sterilised with lime, ready for re-use. Since the Russian market for Georgian wine has dwindled to a trickle, Georgia has revived this ancient method and is exciting interest around the world.[2][3]

Commercial wineries such as Pheasant's Tears, Vinoterra and Monastery of Alaverdi, are exporting their kvevri-fermented wines to markets developing abroad. [4]

While the rest of the world calls this radical, risky, "natural" winemaking, the Georgians know winemaking on kvevri as simply the way that wine has been made since time began. The inside surface of a kvevri is covered with a thin layer of beeswax - essential for hygiene. A mixture of crushed limestone and water or hot water and ash or even just rigorous scrubbing are all effective methods of cleaning and sanitizing, which do not involve the use of anything noxious. For winemakers all over the world, Kvevri became a symbol of returning to more natural methods - really a shot against the modern industry's pristine and science-based approach.http://www.domainegeorgia.com/

UNESCO added the ancient traditional Georgian winemaking method using the Kvevri clay jars to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists.[5]

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 4, 2015

Went to work this morning and ended up 1000kms away in WA (not expected) So found the best port I could to make the most of it. Bit of aioli and smoked salmon with crackers. image.jpg

AAAKK likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Aug 4, 2015

Reminding myself of two things today......

1) Why the Morey-St. Denis area claims so much space in our wine refrigerator.

2) Why Clos de la Roche is my favorite vineyard, and the riper vintages / higher extract bottles (without going over the top) can absolutely be steak wines.

IMG_7193.JPG

Well, it's prime rib - a lighter steak..... and yes, I know that's not a Burgundy stem but I'm the only one home now and it was in the drain board from last nights Vouvray extravaganza. Still have several bottles of '97 Potel CdlR and a couple '02 Ponsot CdlR, but this is the last of the '01 Potel CdlR.

ralpher likes this.
  8. OmegaSean Aug 4, 2015

When in Turkey the only cool beer to drink ☀️☀️☀️
    [​IMG]
    OnegaSean

9. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 8, 2015

Maybe not quite as enjoyable as Graham's 10yr, but still very good

20150808_232946.jpg

ralpher and STANDY like this.
  10. ulackfocus Aug 10, 2015

Double barrel 1983 tonight:

[​IMG]

YYTIN, ralpher and tpatta like this.
  11. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 10, 2015

'83 Burgundy? Got any more? I'll be right over.

12. ulackfocus Aug 10, 2015

2 more bottles - one is identical to this, the other is another Drouhin from the Echezeaux Grand Cru vineyard. You bring the rack of lamb; I'll decant in advance.

This Charmes-Chambertin was stunning and the Wehlener-Zonnenuhr Riesling was phenomenal. The secondary flavors that open up after 25 or 30 years are awesome in both varietals. You don't get this level of complexity in a New World wine very often. I guess it's hard to beat centuries upon centuries of experience with terroir. What a GREAT one-two punch of 1983!

YYTIN likes this.
  13. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 11, 2015

Sounds like a plan. I'll bring a '63 port to finish off the evening.

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 17, 2015

At MrsCanberra's birthday party

image.jpg
    Just to clarify, I haven't just posted the Same photo in 3 threads. All the photos I've posted to here, WRUW and Guilty dining pleasure have had the appropriate object (watch, cake or bottle) focus.

Jimmypongo likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Aug 20, 2015

Nice selection this week:

2007 Match Butterdragon Hill Cab
    2004 Caymus Special Selection Cab
    2002 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese
    2009 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray Moelleux

Wanted to do a head to head comparison of the Caymus and Match. Their very close in style and flavor, but when you factor in the Match at around $50 versus $200-ish for the Caymus it's a no brainer. In the not-too-distant-future, I'll put the same bottle of Match against a 2007 Hourglass ($125-ish). If I can find more Match, I'll load up as I only have 6 bottles left and it's just hitting it's stride. With 2 bottles of Hourglass and 5 bottles of Caymus, I can't see forking out that kind of money to replace either.

The Prum is.... well, typically fantastic. '02 is my second favorite year behind '83. The Huet is tarter than it's '08 counterpart that was mentioned earlier on this page. Not better, not worse - just different.

ralpher and gophishin like this.
  16. broulstone Aug 24, 2015

[​IMG][emoji106]

17. barmy Aug 24, 2015

Heading to The Dam Pub in Thornbury, Ontario for supper. It's claim to fame is having over 450 single malts. I don't think I'll be driving home tonight. Now, where to start.........:p

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 24, 2015

image.jpg Did a tasting of these a few days ago

Jimmypongo likes this.
  19. Pvt-Public Aug 24, 2015

Nothing fancy, sorry.
    P1132095.JPG

20. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2015

You have been voted off the island.

ralpher, Wetworks and Archer like this.