Would you trust this watch to be water tight still?

Hi, new to this forum and Omega's in general. I picked up my first a few months ago, and my second just yesterday. It is my most recent purchase I am wondering about though. I bought the watch below specifically because I wanted a nice watch I could take on my Honeymoon to the pool, on the boat, etc without worrying about water like I do my Speedmaster. My question is, would you trust it to be water tight still without a recent service? If I had to guess, this watch could be as old as 2007. It says it is currently running +6 seconds a day, which isn't bad IMO, so I wasn't planning to service it right away. Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134622315045

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Post a photo as that link is dead if the sale is finished

I wouldn't swim with a watch over 10 years since a service. Once serviced I would take it diving no problems

It's a 2236.50, this is from the listing

s-l1600.jpg

To answer your thread title, "Hell, no". Don't be crazy and submerge a 16 yo watch with unknown service history in water activities, that's asking for trouble.

You could get it pressure tested for a smaller fee...but unknown service history I would get a service if you are swimming...
5 years maybe but 16 years never...

Fair enough, I'll look into some local places and have it serviced when it arrives.

Or just be careful and keep your wrist above water at ALL times.

Ok, so new question. How/where do you guys get your Omegas serviced without breaking the bank? I just discovered basically no one will service my Seamaster if I ask them to make sure it is water tight. They say they can't get the parts and it has to go to Omega for service if I want to swim in my DIVE watch, and I am assuming that is going to be an expensive service for what is actually a somewhat cheap(for an Omega) watch. I didn't realize it would be so hard to service a modern dive watch to get it back to it's original functionality. I don't even want to go more than 6 feet under water, I just don't want to have to take it off at the pool or something, crazy, I know! I hate going under water, so 6 feet might even be pushing it LOL
Edited:

I was hoping maybe someone here had a connection to a reputable non Omega place that could do it. I was just quoted $550 and $600 for a service, not including shipping and parts which I am assuming a new crown is in order so the gasket can be replaced. If this were my Speedmaster or my Rolex, I would be fine with that, but this watch was supposed to be my nice "beater" if you will since I only paid $1,800 for it in the first place so to spend $600+ for a service just to make it water tight is a little much. I probably will just pick up a Tudor Black Bay or something newer that is still under warranty if I am going to spend that much on a service for this particular watch. I wish the new Seamaster 300 were not so big, I want a 36-39mm but everyone is still on the big watch trend. Let's see some more mid size watches Omega!
Edited:

Technically the whole case should be serviced, crown, HEV, caseback gasket and crystal gasket. Omega has a service kit that includes that along with the bezel springs. It is $176. Omega typically always replaces all that during a full service, any reputable watchmaker likely would do pretty much the same. I always replace all the case related seals, though sometimes you can get just the o-rings for the HEV saving the expense of replacing the complete valve.

I think Omega is getting $500 for three-handed quartz service now. As said above, that includes crown, HEV, and gaskets, and polishing. Other parts are at cost. You can find an independent and it'll be a little cheaper and parts replacement can be a decision made between you and the watchmaker and maybe it doesn't need polishing.

Technically the whole case should be serviced, crown, HEV, caseback gasket and crystal gasket. Omega has a service kit that includes that along with the bezel springs. It is $176. Omega typically always replaces all that during a full service, any reputable watchmaker likely would do pretty much the same. I always replace all the case related seals, though sometimes you can get just the o-rings for the HEV saving the expense of replacing the complete valve.

The issue with the local watchmakers is they seem to all claim they can't get the parts kits. I guess Omega stopped selling their parts to independent shops back in 2015 so the official Omega gaskets and things are hard to find. Do you have a link to the kit you are referring to? I am sure if I can get the parts a local watchmaker would do it.

I think Omega is getting $500 for three-handed quartz service now. As said above, that includes crown, HEV, and gaskets, and polishing. Other parts are at cost. You can find an independent and it'll be a little cheaper and parts replacement can be a decision made between you and the watchmaker and maybe it doesn't need polishing.

That is crazy, $500 for a quartz service? I guess that makes the $550-600 for a mechanical service a bargain! That service DOES include a new crown and HEV though? If so, I guess that isn't terrible. I was thinking they would charge extra for those.

The issue with the local watchmakers is they seem to all claim they can't get the parts kits. I guess Omega stopped selling their parts to independent shops back in 2015 so the official Omega gaskets and things are hard to find. Do you have a link to the kit you are referring to? I am sure if I can get the parts a local watchmaker would do it.

No, plenty of independent watchmakers (including Deafcon and myself) can order parts directly from Omega, as we are Omega certified. Omega stopped selling to third party parts resellers in 2015, so the places that sell all kinds of parts and supplies to watchmakers. If any watchmaker relied on those places to get their Omega parts, they can't get them any longer. However they can apply to get approvied by Omega - it's easily done for any watchmaker with a well equipped, modern shop.

If this were my Speedmaster or my Rolex, I would be fine with that, but this watch was supposed to be my nice "beater" if you will since I only paid $1,800 for it in the first place so to spend $600+ for a service just to make it water tight is a little much.

The value of the watch has nothing to do with the time and labour it takes to service or repair it. Watchmakers aren't going to charge less for their time, education, and experience, and to cover their overhead just because your watch is supposed to be a beater.

No, plenty of independent watchmakers (including Deafcon and myself) can order parts directly from Omega, as we are Omega certified. Omega stopped selling to third party parts resellers in 2015, so the places that sell all kinds of parts and supplies to watchmakers. If any watchmaker relied on those places to get their Omega parts, they can't get them any longer. However they can apply to get approvied by Omega - it's easily done for any watchmaker with a well equipped, modern shop.

The value of the watch has nothing to do with the time and labour it takes to service or repair it. Watchmakers aren't going to charge less for their time, education, and experience, and to cover their overhead just because your watch is supposed to be a beater.

I wasn’t saying someone shouldn’t be compensated for their work, just that Omega doing it would probably cost a lot more than an independent person doing it and I’d prefer to both save money and have a local person benefit from my business. I just had a vintage Bulova serviced by a retired Bulova watchmaker for $99 shipped both ways, so $600 just seemed really steep in comparison. There is definitely a “luxury tax” added I’m sure when sending directly to Omega or any high end brand like Rolex compared to an independent watchmaker.

So if you are an authorized Omega repair person, how much would YOU charge for a basic cleaning/waterproof service with replacement gaskets and parts?
Edited:

I wasn’t saying someone shouldn’t be compensated for their work, just that Omega doing it would probably cost a lot more than an independent person doing it and I’d prefer to both save money and have a local person benefit from my business. I just had a vintage Bulova serviced by a retire Bulova watchmaker for $99 shipped both ways, so $600 just seemed really steep in comparison. There is definitely a “luxury tax” added I’m sure when sending directly to Omega or any high end brand like Rolex compared to an independent watchmaker.

So if you are an authorized Omega repair person, how much would YOU charge for a basic cleaning/waterproof service with replacement gaskets and parts?

Where exactly are you located? Members may be able to suggest a local watchmaker who is Omega certified.

I just had a vintage Bulova serviced by a retired Bulova watchmaker for $99 shipped both ways,

If this is your point of comparison, then you are really going to be disappointed...

It really depends on what parts are needed. I have a flat fee for labour, and then whatever parts are needed are extra. Sometimes the end result is less than what Omega charges, and sometimes it's more.

If this is your point of comparison, then you are really going to be disappointed...

It really depends on what parts are needed. I have a flat fee for labour, and then whatever parts are needed are extra. Sometimes the end result is less than what Omega charges, and sometimes it's more.
It is really just an example, I was expecting probably $300-400 for a local job on a modern Omega, with from what was quoted above, about $176 in parts included in that, but that is why I am fielding opinions and recommendations. I have not had to service one of my higher end watches yet because they are newer and I have not owned mechanical watches that long, but I do like to keep my repairs local and save money where I can and I know just like taking your car to an official manufacture dealer after the warranty is up, doing the same on a nice watch is going to cost more than an independent guy.

I wasn’t saying someone shouldn’t be compensated for their work, just that Omega doing it would probably cost a lot more than an independent person doing it

Not necessarily. Omega charges a flat rate, whereas many independent watchmakers will charge in an a la carte way, depending on what parts are needed. When you buy a second-hand watch to wear in the water, I would think that the cost of a full service would be part of the calculation. If that additional cost makes the watch more expensive than you wanted, then you should probably just flip it and buy a different watch as a beater. There are plenty of dive watches you can buy pre-owned for about $1000, add a service, and your total will be well under what you paid for the Seamaster.