Would you trust this watch to be water tight still?

Not necessarily. Omega charges a flat rate, whereas many independent watchmakers will charge in an a la carte way, depending on what parts are needed. When you buy a second-hand watch to wear in the water, I would think that the cost of a full service would be part of the calculation. If that additional cost makes the watch more expensive than you wanted, then you should probably just flip it and buy a different watch as a beater. There are plenty of dive watches you can buy pre-owned for about $1000, add a service, and your total will be well under what you paid for the Seamaster.
Yeah, it is my fault for not getting quotes for service before buying and letting my heart take the reins on my wallet. I will probably end up just getting it serviced at Omega because I do like the watch and flipping it is more cost and work than just getting this one serviced and to my liking for a good few years. It is funny to think though, the service on this watch is going to cost almost as much as the Tissot PRX I just bought a few weeks ago and I wonder, which Seiko dive watch could I buy new and add to the collection for that money instead. But being able to actually use my Omega instead of relegating it to the watch box on nice days out will be worth it.
Edited:

Just got off the phone with Omega and they are actually quoting $700($800 if they consider the 18K WG bezel a "precious metal" watch, which I hope not!) for full service and $300 for just waterproof service so still looking for local quotes if anyone is near Cleveland. Going on the Honeymoon mid August so a local guy just for time would be great. Omega is saying 5-6 week turn around which is cutting it close from when I should be receiving the watch next week.

It is really just an example, I was expecting probably $300-400 for a local job on a modern Omega, with from what was quoted above, about $176 in parts included in that, but that is why I am fielding opinions and recommendations. I have not had to service one of my higher end watches yet because they are newer and I have not owned mechanical watches that long, but I do like to keep my repairs local and save money where I can and I know just like taking your car to an official manufacture dealer after the warranty is up, doing the same on a nice watch is going to cost more than an independent guy.

Well, I personally don't know too many watchmakers who are going to fully service a watch for between $124 and $224. It actually would be less than that, once the cost of internal parts are included - the mainspring would be replaced (or complete barrel), plus any worn parts. There are virtually always worn parts.

Just got off the phone with Omega and they are actually quoting $700($800 if they consider the 18K WG bezel a "precious metal" watch, which I hope not!) for full service and $300 for just waterproof service so still looking for local quotes if anyone is near Cleveland.

I think they are in error on that one - Omega will charge precious metal prices on some two tone watches, but only when the crown is precious metal - see notes at the bottom below (this is for Canada):

2023 service pricing.jpg

Since the crown on your watch is made of stainless steel, you should get the lesser pricing...

I’m personally located in Rochester MN, @Archer is in Canada. Right now I have a back log of 4ish months as I’m still working in another industry before I switch to watches full time. To service the watch in question would likely be $200 +\- in just parts. Add labor and you can see where Omegas prices come from. If someone is charging $100 for servicing a watch, they aren’t doing it to be a business and don’t value their time and experience correctly. They also aren’t replacing some parts that should be replaced in the case of a water resistant watch. A properly set up shop can be pushing or over $40k in equipment and tools.

Well, I personally don't know too many watchmakers who are going to fully service a watch for between $124 and $224. It actually would be less than that, once the cost of internal parts are included - the mainspring would be replaced (or complete barrel), plus any worn parts. There are virtually always worn parts.

I think they are in error on that one - Omega will charge precious metal prices on some two tone watches, but only when the crown is precious metal - see notes at the bottom below (this is for Canada):

2023 service pricing.jpg

Since the crown on your watch is made of stainless steel, you should get the lesser pricing...

This is all good info. I guess I figured we are just talking seals need replaced and not things like springs and whatnot considering the watch isn't super old, but I guess if those extras are normally replaced, then I can see price going up quite a bit.

I’m personally located in Rochester MN, @Archer is in Canada. Right now I have a back log of 4ish months as I’m still working in another industry before I switch to watches full time. To service the watch in question would likely be $200 +\- in just parts. Add labor and you can see where Omegas prices come from. If someone is charging $100 for servicing a watch, they aren’t doing it to be a business and don’t value their time and experience correctly. They also aren’t replacing some parts that should be replaced in the case of a water resistant watch. A properly set up shop can be pushing or over $40k in equipment and tools.
I am sure none of that was changed on the vintage watch I had serviced because the parts from 1958 just don't exist anymore. They just serviced the movement and existing parts since it was working fine and polished the case. I didn't realize anything else but seals should normally be replaced if it was working fine.

This is all good info. I guess I figured we are just talking seals need replaced and not things like springs and whatnot considering the watch isn't super old, but I guess if those extras are normally replaced, then I can see price going up quite a bit.

A full service is just that - the case and movement are completely disassembled, cleaned, worn parts replaced, case is refinished, everything is reassembled, tested, etc.

I am sure none of that was changed on the vintage watch I had serviced because the parts from 1958 just don't exist anymore. They just serviced the movement and existing parts since it was working fine and polished the case. I didn't realize anything else but seals should normally be replaced if it was working fine.

The parts most certainly exist. I service watches like this all the time, and many parts are still out there at suppliers. It really depends on the specifics of the movement, but Bulova isn't a brand I would normally associate with difficult to find parts for their vintage watches.

It's standard practice to replace the mainspring at every service, and then anything else that requires it. If the parts are not available, there are repairs that can be done to the parts, such as repivoting - but again none of that happens for $99.

There are fewer and fewer watchmakers out there, as many retire of die off - they are not being replaced at the rate that they are being lost. The demand for services is very high, so like any market where there's a high demand and a short supply, prices will reflect that for people's labour.

Cheers, Al

When you buy a second-hand watch to wear in the water......

Beater + water resistance = G Shock = Ironman....IMO

... There are virtually always worn parts....

A problem when one is looking for spare parts on eBay (and other online sites.)

I am in favor of self servicing. When one gets to the case stuff, that is a different skill set. For the most part this is not an issue with the pre 1970s stuff. Once upon a time, there were a large number of independent watchmakers. Most jewelers had one as did some drugstores (dry goods.) There were a lot of material houses and lots of spare parts. In some ways the markets were over saturated.

If one is lucky there is someone selling such NOS parts in the factory or distributor packaging. This supply is dwindling down. There also seems to be a practice of opening the packaging and selling the individual pieces. The hardest parts to find are consumables like gaskets, crystals and bezels. Gaskets have a shelf life which makes it hard to know if one online is fresh, or something pulled from another watch. Or sat around for 40 or 50 years.

Ideally there should be some sort of program or certification for those of us who self service our own stuff. It is not economical (Mostly liability.) to work on other folks watches. Customers have high expectations.

In practice there were too many taking the easy out and manufacturing their own watches from spare parts. So one can see why the manufacturers want to limit the parts availability. This also seem to be more of a liability issue. The temptation to make something from nothing happens even at the high levels.

Such seems to be human nature. To game the system. We all want that barn find. Some of us to simply enjoy it. Others feel the need to profit by it. Rules these days seem more like guidelines, which is probably the cost of freedom.

Beater + water resistance = G Shock = Ironman....IMO
I do have a G-Shock actually, but I almost exclusively wear it to work around the house and to amusement parks. I know they are great watches, but when I am out, I like to have at least a Seiko or something mechanical on. I kinda feel like a kid wearing a G-Shock in public.

I am in favor of self servicing. When one gets to the case stuff, that is a different skill set. For the most part this is not an issue with the pre 1970s stuff. Once upon a time, there were a large number of independent watchmakers. Most jewelers had one as did some drugstores (dry goods.) There were a lot of material houses and lots of spare parts. In some ways the markets were over saturated.

If one is lucky there is someone selling such NOS parts in the factory or distributor packaging. This supply is dwindling down. There also seems to be a practice of opening the packaging and selling the individual pieces. The hardest parts to find are consumables like gaskets, crystals and bezels. Gaskets have a shelf life which makes it hard to know if one online is fresh, or something pulled from another watch. Or sat around for 40 or 50 years.

Ideally there should be some sort of program or certification for those of us who self service our own stuff. It is not economical (Mostly liability.) to work on other folks watches. Customers have high expectations.

In practice there were too many taking the easy out and manufacturing their own watches from spare parts. So one can see why the manufacturers want to limit the parts availability. This also seem to be more of a liability issue. The temptation to make something from nothing happens even at the high levels.

Such seems to be human nature. To game the system. We all want that barn find. Some of us to simply enjoy it. Others feel the need to profit by it. Rules these days seem more like guidelines, which is probably the cost of freedom.
Yeah, there should have been some kind of control in place to where major things like dials and cases needed to have a core sent in for a new one to be sent. They screwed up by letting people buy every single part without question so yeah, that was going to happen. Stopping access to the entire parts stream really sucks though. I guess I need to convince a local watchmaker to get Omega certified so they can get parts!
Edited:

eBay is a last resort really, for the reasons you mention.

There are material suppliers to the watch industry that often have parts available for even very old and obscure watches. Some of these places are willing to sell to hobbyists and some are not. Hobbyists are not their bread and butter, so they rely on large and recurring orders from watchmakers for their main income, not the person who wants one or two parts every few months. But these places are a great store of parts and knowledge - often they can find something you need even though it seems like the parts no longer exist. They buy up watchmakers who are retiring, and other shops that are closing, so they have inventory of all kinds.

Otto Frei in California is one that will sell to hobbyists, and although I'm not a huge fan of them, I have used them in the past. I would suggest contacting these places, because they typically don't sell you junk parts, or used stuff. Buying off eBay is a crap shoot - a customer bought 3 balance staffs off eBay for the watch he sent me, and shipped them up to me - this is what they all look like:

Staff.jpg

These places do not show everything they have available on-line - it would just be impossible to do so as they have many parts. I always recommend calling or emailing, and not just looking at what is displayed on-line.

😵‍💫

The way I see it is pretty simple. You picked up an old Seamaster as an everyday beater, but the cost of service is not going to decrease just because you paid less for the watch.

A) have your G-Shock handy for when you need to be in the water and have your Seamaster for everything else

B) chance it and find out for yourself whether or not those watertight seals are still good.

My take on an old beater watch is that you have a watch that already is worn or used and therefore it can be beaten up further. If it isn't worth the cost to YOU to get it watertight again, then being in water may not be the role for this watch. Define what that role looks like.

I sorta understand, but G-shocks are still active-issue. I guess if you don't want to look like a kid and you are also trying to avoid anything that may look like military or gun culture... but then, it seems both Seamasters and Rolex also fall into that category...?

I do have a G-Shock actually, but I almost exclusively wear it to work around the house and to amusement parks. I know they are great watches, but when I am out, I like to have at least a Seiko or something mechanical on. I kinda feel like a kid wearing a G-Shock in public.

A quick google search found Sheiben Jewelers in Cleveland, who list themselves as an Omega AD with in house watchmakers servicing Omega.

did you try them? Their prices are likely in line with Omega, but at least they are local.

if you don’t want to pay the price to have it fully serviced, then I see three options.

1. Wear it as is, but don’t take it in the water. It will eventually keep bad time or break.

2. Wear it in the water and pray.

3. Sell it and don’t buy old watches that are expensive to service.

1. Wear it as is, but don’t take it in the water. It will eventually keep bad time or break.

4. Get a pressure test before you leave - minimal expense and will take the guesswork out of it.

Don't submerge it until it's been pressure tested.
At your earliest opportunity, get it serviced if unsure of its history and it's that old.

Fair enough, I'll look into some local places and have it serviced when it arrives.
Fair enough, I'll look into some local places and have it serviced when it arrives.
…and pressure tested!

I have a beater digital dive watch that gets serviced and seals done regularly that costs nearly more than the watch did new 15+ years ago.

Swim nearly every day with it 👍

A quick google search found Sheiben Jewelers in Cleveland, who list themselves as an Omega AD with in house watchmakers servicing Omega.

did you try them? Their prices are likely in line with Omega, but at least they are local.

if you don’t want to pay the price to have it fully serviced, then I see three options.

I did not know Sheiben was an authorized service center, but I was in there actually a few weeks ago looking at the new Seamaster, which is what prompted me to buy this old Seamaster, so I do know of them. They are not listed on the Omega site as a service center, and the closest authorized location there was listed 120 miles away. I will give Sheiben a call.

I will definitely be getting this serviced and upgrade it from beater status to regular use 😀 All in the watch will still cost about what watchcharts actually values the watch at, so now it will just be a nice watch I am not afraid to take in the water, but it will probably end up being worn more often too if it is going to be all polished up and looking good so that's a nice benefit.
Edited: