Would you rather: entry-level high end or top-level low end?

I know this is a silly hypothetical where specifics matter, but I’m just curious, if anyone feels like responding.

Given the choice and, say, $30,000 to spend on a single watch.

Would you go for an entry-level Patek (for example) or a super-fancy Omega? If you have some kind of theoretical way of answering this question, I’m interested.

It doesn’t even have to be about watches: I could see this question applying to any number of things, from cars to dishwashers.

Whilst maybe not theoretical but to quote an often used cliches, do you want to soar like an eagle or run with the turkey's.
Edited:

It depends on the intent of the purchase. If value retention/appreciation is a meaningful factor, then go for a vintage model that has a long history of desirability amongst collectors, and in the best possible condition.

Dammit, man, I want to soar with turkeys.
Wild_Turkey_25224200549.jpg

Eagles may soar but the turkey never gets sucked into a jet engine. ;)

Classic! OP starts a new thread, eight posts later, hilariously derailed, but still with a connection to the original post.

(No judgment, no sarcasm, no moralizing, just an observation, and admiration. )

This post got me looking at some entry-level high-end watches. So that was fun. I think I have to second the JLC Master Control chrono calendar posted above except I think I would go for the white dial. That's one sweet looking watch. I like the AP Code 11.59 but that stretches the budget to 50k. A Patek Calatrava is 30k of "meh". I'm pretty basic, so a new 321 or a neo-vintage Rolex GMT or Sub would make me pretty happy too.

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 8.47.08 PM.png

I'd probably take the Omega. If it has a Snoopy on it.

Lot of debate what sort of bird Woodstock is. This was discussed at the Snoopy Museum in Santa Rosa. Most see Woodstock as a canary or a finch. Woodstock told Snoopy he was an eagle. (Or so Snoopy translated.) It is unlikely that Woodstock is a turkey.

Donald duck on the other hand is known to eat turkey.

Merlins are my favorite raptor.

This post got me looking at some entry-level high-end watches. So that was fun. I think I have to second the JLC Master Control chrono calendar posted above except I think I would go for the white dial. That's one sweet looking watch. I like the AP Code 11.59 but that stretches the budget to 50k. A Patek Calatrava is 30k of "meh". I'm pretty basic, so a new 321 or a neo-vintage Rolex GMT or Sub would make me pretty happy too.

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 8.47.08 PM.png
Plus 1. JLC offers more “value” for less money than entry level PP. That was the call I made years ago. Went with master moon triple in Rose Gold. IMG_1875.jpeg

Saw one of these a few years ago. The caseback always intrigued me. I wouldn't mind spending all the money on this Patek Philippe Calatrava 5153G-010 instead of several cheaper turkeys.

There'd be some money left over for a service, too.

Patek.jpg ukmtkoglgmjvybeqqbnk.jpg dlwoy3n15b5ibeay1noy.jpg

Saw one of these a few years ago. The caseback always intrigued me. I wouldn't mind spending all the money on this Patek Philippe Calatrava 5153G-010 instead of several cheaper turkeys.

There'd be some money left over for a service, too.

Patek.jpg ukmtkoglgmjvybeqqbnk.jpg dlwoy3n15b5ibeay1noy.jpg
When I was in the market, the Calatrava was pretty generic looking. Since then the line is much more interesting. What really put me off was the snooty sales people.

Classic! OP starts a new thread, eight posts later, hilariously derailed, but still with a connection to the original post.

(No judgment, no sarcasm, no moralizing, just an observation, and admiration. )
Standard modus operandi for this forum:D

$10k on a watch and $20k on fun other stuff, Holiday and more fun stuff.

I wouldn’t do the $30K on a watch even though I have a few that are worth over $20k now

Is there really such a thing as an entry-level Patek? I don't know because it seems to me that the Calatrava is just as well-finished as a Nautilus, if not better. If you're looking for a classy dress watch, you can't go wrong with a Calatrava and that would be my pick all day long over a super-fancy Omega which I would rarely wear.