Worried about my first speedmaster purchase

Hi, first of all thanks for adding me to this group. I am perhaps doing this backwards, but I had a chance to buy my first speedmaster the other night. It was a strange listing on yahoo japan. The seller said the speedmaster had 'run out of batteries'. I took a chance and placed a bid. It isnt here yet so I am now just waiting. All I have to go on is the photos. It looks like its in ok condition. There is not box or accessories. I think its from the mid 2000's given its not too scratched up. There are some marks on the crystal, I guess I shouldnt worry about that too much as it is plastic. I won the listing for $2691

The missing lume at 8, 11, and 12 isn’t very attractive to me but you didn’t ask my opinion and if you’re happy wearing it that’s all that really matters at the end of the day. It looks to me like a 3590.50 so maybe from the early to mid 90s although I don’t recall the exact range of years before tritium wars no longer used.

If the parcel you receive is not empty, and despite the lume, it is a good deal to me...😉
And if you can't bear this missing lume any more, you can make it relume by a pro for approx 500€. Now, let's wait this stressing shipment phase...

It's a late 70s model due to the font of inscriptions on the dial.
According to MWO, it can be a 145.022-74 or -76
Nice early 1171/633 bracelet (trapezoidal Omega logo on the claps).
Definitly a bargain, congrats !
Edited:

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a new battery.

Confucius say "Taking a chance with strange listing without pre-purchase research is not new phenomenon. Patting the head of a strange dog can also result in trip to casualty".

I'm the one guy here with no experience or interest in the Mk1 Speedmaster so it's from a position of total naivety that I think the watch and the bracelet look to be at least ten years apart. As I say, I know nothing and I hope that your surprises are all pleasant ones.

That explanation "The battery is dead" made laugh a lot 😁

Wow, how can you tell? It doesnt look like its that old, is there something on the dial which tells you its from the 70s?

Yes, the Speedmaster insciption is very particular and the dial is domed, not stepped, so it can only be a 145.022-74 or -76.

Yes, the Speedmaster insciption is very particular and the dial is domed, not stepped, so it can only be a 145.022-74 or -76.
So its....30 years older than I thought? Wow

So its....30 years older than I thought? Wow

And congrats again as these references are quite "rare" as compared to the main stream of the 145.022 (namely the -69).

Cheers (and DIBS !).

Maybe the seller referred to his Battery being dead..... Whatever it is in the end, you did well !

Looking at the S in Speedmaster, which does not extend all the way to the lowest point of the p, I am going with an -76. That's the only subreference with this particular S. More details: https://speedmaster101.com/145-022/145-022-71-74-76-78/

@M00NW@TCH ; this is an absolute bargain at this price. Well done!

Looking at the S in Speedmaster, which does not extend all the way to the lowest point of the p, I am going with an -76. That's the only subreference with this particular S.

So you mean a -74 (and not a -76 as you have written) right ?

So you mean a -74 (and not a -76 as you have written) right ?

Apologies, you're correct, it is most likely a -74 (rather than -76), although it could be an early -76 as well. The longer S was introduced at some point during the production time of the 145.022-76 reference.

The “battery dead” comes across as a poor translation.
I would suspect it means that there is an issue with the movement, in which case factor in a service.

As @Seaborg mentioned, it is much older than you thought. The main issue appears to be the missing lume on some markers. Still, you got it for a good price.

I would suspect it means that there is an issue with the movement, in which case factor in a service.
You don't suspect the seller thinks it needs a battery?

You don't think there is a specific word for "battery" in Japanese?

The Japanese listing is translated perfectly. It says the battery is dead. It also says they won't send the watch outside of Japan, but I guess the Buyee broker handles all that.

Maybe a great pickup!