Forums Latest Members

With increased local armed robberies, I’m no longer wearing Rolexes

1. gbesq Sep 14, 2022

Agreed. The comment was made in jest, of course, but there are too many people out there with guns who shouldn’t have them and the last thing that some of those folks need is any encouragement.

2. reverbtime Sep 14, 2022

In my neck of the woods, even having a Seiko makes you a target for thieves.

3. M'Bob Sep 14, 2022

The shit is really gonna hit the fan when it becomes known that the Swatch group has contracted with these thieves in Los Angeles in an attempt to drive up the Omega market…

Omegafanman and gbesq like this.
  4. gbesq Sep 14, 2022

The unavailability of Rolex models generally is already doing that. :)

M'Bob likes this.
  5. M'Bob Sep 14, 2022

A further little nudge can’t hurt…

gbesq likes this.
  6. gbesq Sep 14, 2022

:)

M'Bob likes this.
  7. Danwales Sep 14, 2022

One of the more high profile cases in the UK involved boxer Amir Khan who had his watch taken off him. I believe it was a Frank Muller valued at 70k.

8. MTROIS Sep 14, 2022

If boxers and MMA fighters get robbed, it is clear that normal people like us absolutely need to hand over our watch instead of being needlessly killed for stuff.

Either subscribe an insurance or leave it at home if it has priceless sentimental value… or roll the dice.

George.A, Scarecrow Boat and Archer like this.
  9. NGO1 Sep 14, 2022

imagine how disappointed the poor thieves must be when they found out watch is a... Frank Muller. They thought it was a Richard Mille. I mean, who flexes FM on the Gram?

10. JwRosenthal Sep 14, 2022

I get just as much joy out of this as I do any of my crowned turds.

5687B857-4B70-4CC7-9F50-4B217656483E.jpeg
    nobody trying to steal it either.

11. ext1 Sep 14, 2022

Could we share our experiences with cities in general here? Would be great to be able to check before heading somewhere. So far I've been learning through this thread that Netherlands could get a lot sketchier than I thought.

I'll start- there are just my experiences and I can't comment further than what I've experienced. Some people might have had a different experience in the same place, and I could be wrong.

Japan- from my experiences, Tokyo is safe at daytime. I ran around with a 1675 or 69 speedy. But when it got to night I've been told Shinjuku or Akiba can get sketchy so I wasn't really around at night, and if I were I was just wearing a vintage Hamilton. Kyoto and Osaka I went around at daytime with a ST1. Not much happening. But at night I didn't risk it.

Korea- Seoul is safe at day and night. I've been told certain areas in Seoul could get sketchy at night, especially the west parts. I haven't ventured there at night to find out. But also, yes crime does happen rarely around the east areas too, it's not like crime rate is zero. But a little common sense would help you to keep you out. Obviously though as others have said, luck is a huge factor and it just might happen to you (sh1t happens)

UAE- I was out in Abu Dhabi at day and night with a SM300 nodate, 5513. I had no problems, presumably because of the government's strict laws on theft, but also I didn't get looks as much as I did in other places with the SM300 there. I got the feeling people didn't know 5513 there too.

US- NYC I get the feeling that certain parts of Manhattan are pretty safe at day and night but I wasn't out with a Rolex. Just a speedy once in a while. Once I was in upper Brooklyn photographing through late night but that time was winter and I had a Hamilton under my wrist. Luckily it passed, was it just luck or awareness etc, not sure. I haven't been at other areas of NYC at night to find out. Most of the time at daytime I was out with a Hamilton. Other people would be more qualified to comment here..

Other places of mention. When I was travelling Egypt and Uzbekistan with my SM300 I got the feeling people didn't really know what I was wearing. Maybe if I was wearing a Rolex it would have been different.. but to be fair this was fall/winter and it was always under sleeves.

I largely agree that most of it is luck/chances but also that you can always help yourself to not let it get to 100% chance of getting robbed. In general though after writing this all out I think I was pretty lucky. Seems like I was a pretty dumb person doing all this.

12. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 14, 2022

If you're ever in Portsmouth, NH, you can wear a Rolex without fear. And stop at The Old Ferry Landing for lobstah!

janice&fred, NGO1, M'Bob and 2 others like this.
  13. gbesq Sep 14, 2022

In my experience:

NYC: Manhattan generally safe day and night. Stay in the more crowded areas after dark. Avoid alleys and don’t use public transit late at night.

Most other US cities: know your neighborhoods, especially at night. In my experience, some of the most dangerous cities are in the Mid-Atlantic (Baltimore and DC), the south (Memphis, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans) and the Midwest (St. Louis, Chicago, Kansas City).

Scandinavia: all cities safe, day and night.

Japan: same as posted by OP

Europe: depends upon the country, but I worry more about pickpockets than violent crime, especially in Paris and all cities in Italy.

Edited Sep 15, 2022
    RevZMan123, noelekal and ext1 like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 14, 2022

Northern Australia is good day, night, anytime…..more crocodiles than people. No one cares about time up here…fishing gear is a bit sketchy as it is the number one thing stolen.

George.A, NikolShep, iamvr and 8 others like this.
  15. johnireland Sep 14, 2022

Number one defense, just be alert. Number two defense is a long-sleeved shirt. Any sport watch or any yellow gold is a red flag to a thief. But usually out of sight, out of mind. If you're concerned about the area, use your cell phone to check the time. Security cameras consistently show that most people never see it coming...they just aren't paying attention to their surroundings.

Rudi99 likes this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 14, 2022

Last night in Chicago … dinner and a play. Shirtsleeves and sport coat.
    8DB1C61D-F120-4763-9AB4-9C71B3BE0CDB.jpeg

noelekal, Syrte, Rochete and 6 others like this.
  17. johnireland Sep 14, 2022

They won't steal a watch whose name they can't pronounce. It's too embarrassing for them when they try to show it off.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 14, 2022

Be alert...the world needs more lerts...

Syrte, Mad Dog, RevZMan123 and 9 others like this.
  19. Observer I know nothing! Sep 14, 2022

Threads like this make me feel better about the fact that I wear old clothes and only occasionally mow my lawn or wash my car. Just a natural non-target.

Dash1, mydeafcat, M'Bob and 2 others like this.
  20. pdxleaf ... Sep 14, 2022

@STANDY has the perfect revenge.

(From his WRUW post)

Screenshot_20220914-170819_Samsung Internet.jpg

Syrte, George.A, NikolShep and 4 others like this.