Forums Latest Members

With increased local armed robberies, I’m no longer wearing Rolexes

1. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 10, 2022

Well, it’s finally happened. I’ve stopped wearing Rolexes.

In my local area (SF Bay Area), there’ve been at least five reported armed robberies of Rolexes every week. Some are ‘follow homes’, others are parking lot confrontations or sidewalk hold ups. Occasionally, people have been robbed while eating at restaurants, or waiting in their cars at stop lights. Typically, three or four individuals confront the victim(s) with guns. Although actual shootings are still rare, pistol whippings are the common result of any resistance. The news media all specifically identify Rolexes as the targeted watches, but none are more specific about which references.

I have no idea how much such these thieves know about watches, let alone vintage watches. I know that those Rolex crowns at the top of the dial can be particularly easy to spot. And certainly, I have no interest in risking being a victim of a violent crime simply because of the watch I’m wearing. As well, I hate being self-conscious and anxious because of what’s on my wrist. I’d be mortified to lose one of my favorites.
    EE8CE8E5-888A-42B5-A0BE-7CAC76B249AD.jpeg

I assume that because chronographs can be so easy to spot, any Omega Speedmaster might be a target too.

So, instead, I’m wearing these two, which is no hardship to me. Both recent acquisitions, I love looking at them.
    51498F39-DD92-4829-A7AC-93652DBD9ED9.jpeg
    (I am a notorious black dial freak.)

I hate this development, but it’s not foreign to me, having grown up riding 1970’s NYC subways daily. Still, it sucks.

Anyone else put their Rolexes away due to the recent trend?

6D2182B5-87EA-4905-B5C4-F5AB52C61C0A.jpeg

2. gbesq Sep 10, 2022

I’m not a Rolex guy, but it’s a shame that it has come to this. As an aside, I’ve been wearing a Speedmaster in public in regular rotation with my other watches for more than four decades. Never had a problem.

Buster, Pun, flw and 4 others like this.
  3. Dan S Sep 10, 2022

I guess all those people with counterfeits and homage watches are at almost equal risk.

Buster, khangct, kkt and 13 others like this.
  4. Evitzee Sep 10, 2022

It all depends on where you live and where you travel. I don't spend much time in large cities anymore so I don't think much about it. I travel to Houston twice a year for medical and visiting friends, I'll wear a +$10k watch, maybe the Ultraman or 321. Maybe an AP perpetual calendar. Right now I'm in Portland, Maine with my Daytona, I am not concerned about any theft. But I'm not out partying at 2am, either.

5. flw history nerd Sep 10, 2022

I only have one, and I wear it at home and at work. But I live where I work (at a boarding school), so I can walk to class, and the campus is pretty secure. I haven't worn it out and about in public in the past couple of years, and I won't, for exactly the same reason. If I'm in public I'll wear my Speedy on a strap, my Seiko, or something similar. The Sub stays home.

6. JwRosenthal Sep 10, 2022

I wore one of mine to work yesterday.
    D65A5D6A-323F-41A9-91BF-FEE5F4E88B39.jpeg
    But I do shy away from wearing them in very public places recently (work aside as there are more armed personnel there than most city police forces) just because of heightened awareness of their value.

George.A, blufinz52, M'Bob and 3 others like this.
  7. perks713 Sep 10, 2022

Portland with your Daytona huh…. I’m in Ogunquit with my FOIS for a few days.

I’ve been a little more self conscious about wearing a nice watch when I’m out, more likely to put on something cheap or common. I have been leaving all my in a bank deposit box when I travel now though. Home break-ins are always something I worry about.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  8. ATWG Sep 10, 2022

I don’t wear any of my Rolex’s on the DC subway anymore. I was getting a lot of stares as of late, started putting my watch in my backpack prior to entering the subway. It’s good practice to be aware of your surroundings.

felsby likes this.
  9. sheepdoll Sep 10, 2022

Lately when I show off my vintage watches to freinds, and mention the insane eBay prices, I hear about these thefts. Mostly in the upscale suburban comunities.

-j

10. Dan S Sep 10, 2022

We have stopped announcing our local GTGs to the entire membership list of the chapter. Just a small meetup group now. Even though I live in a very safe place with virtually no burglary that I can recall, it seems like a wise decision.

11. jaguar11 Sep 10, 2022

Your 14060 looks so good with the plexi fitted!!!

JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. GandOsDad Sep 10, 2022

I mean isn't this the point of adding your higher value ones on your insurance?

Bizcut1 likes this.
  13. Jonathan40 Sep 10, 2022

Yeah, finally took a bank deposit box in Jan this year and that’s where they reside unfortunately. Began having sleepless nights about home invasion and all that that could bring. Not been on my wrist since, I kept my Sea Dweller at home but the big hitters will be sold when the time is right, college fund money, house deposits etc for our only son. In a period of time when 0 interest was available they were a fantastic investment that I was able to enjoy but times change and I would not wish to put my family through anything harmful. Shame but it’s the world we live in and when I bought Sub LV’s at 3k I never thought they would become 18/25k

14. Walrus Sep 10, 2022

I saw a news blip where they were interviewing a masked guy (using the altered voice thing) saying he specializes in Rolex theft. One of his primary sources for victims was Instagram. He would look for licenses plates or other landmarks and if I’m not mistaken there is even a way to find location in Instagram but I didn’t hear the entire interview and I don’t use Instagram so it’s difficult to make any sense of that.
    But I’m seeing MMA and regular boxing guys get hit for watches. Shoot I thought I was a tough guy for fighting off an attempted robbery of a quartz bulova but if you have organized gangs studying you it doesn’t matter how tough you think you are you gonna get got.

It’s very unpleasant being robbed. I was lucky I don’t walk around with the intent on fighting back it just happened. I think I’ll hold off on buying a Daytona so I don’t need to worry about it.

Zman4eva likes this.
  15. Falme09 Sep 10, 2022

Ogunquit with your FOIS huh....I'm in Falmouth with my Planet Ocean...

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 10, 2022

I read these post and threads all the time, and it’s always I can’t wear my watch here due to mugging and theft and I’m not going to wear it anymore.

When you live somewhere you can’t wear a nice watch, it’s time to get the F#ck out of there.

Carry on with the “But” and “Carry a gun” replies.

Zman4eva, McKnife, 64Wing and 17 others like this.
  17. Shabbaz Sep 10, 2022

Haha. True. But I was born and raised in Amsterdam and I will only leave when they carry me away in a coffin.

Anyway, winter is coming. So the watches are going under the sleeves again. So nobody is going to see them. Winter season is watch season!

18. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 10, 2022

I sold all in January except for the Mil. Sub. Which is uninteresting looking on an used NATO.... Tudor might be safer?

19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 10, 2022

Funny, I went through the airport in Amsterdam last week. I spent some quality time at the Swiss watch store there, as they were kind enough to get a broken spring bar replaced for me while I was on layover. The person helping me enjoyed seeing my Nivada Grenchen reissue. I told him if I pass through there again in the future I will try to remember to have a Speedmaster LE with me to show him. He said "No, please don't do that. I recommend you do not bring any expensive watches if you come back."

Here in DC no one seems to notice Speedmasters except other Omega owners. I have not heard from any watch owners I know about getting undue attention.

Syzygy and airansun like this.
  20. Evitzee Sep 10, 2022

I went through Falmouth this afternoon and will pass through Ogunquit tomorrow on our way to Manchester, Vermont.

SmithSJ likes this.