Forums Latest Members

With increased local armed robberies, I’m no longer wearing Rolexes

1. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 14, 2022

THAT is the description of Paradise. Inhabited by intelligent people , because fishing gear is more important for survival than a time device. With the exception of Crocodiles, same here in North NSW. Many Divers still wear Watches ; the rest might ask you, why you wear a Watch, when you have your Mobile....

Mark020 and studeb like this.
  2. janice&fred Sep 14, 2022

In my late 20's I was shot point blank in the upper chest for resisting a mugging in a Yale parking lot. I didn't lose a watch then but if it happens again when I'm wearing a watch I like the perp can have it with my blessings. As a side note that past experience hasn't really changed my watch-wearing habits at all. I don't even think about it as much as I probably should. Maybe I'm just thick-headed.

3. savka Sep 14, 2022

Or you have a decent grasp of probability :thumbsup:

4. gbesq Sep 14, 2022

What your average mugger does with your expensive Swiss timepiece …

Edited Sep 14, 2022
  5. omegawatchlover Sep 14, 2022

Dang, this is a long thread. Yeah I heard lots of stories about robberies in SF. I mean, your Rolex are neovintage so idk why you should have to worry. They steal modern Rolex or maybe I’m not aware lol. Have you sold your watches yet? What are your prices? Happy to take them :). If you aren’t wearing them, what’s the point really… store them like safe queens?

6. Shabbaz Sep 15, 2022

No no. The Netherlands are totally safe. Amsterdam as well. But we had some problems here with watch thieves which made the news a couple of times. But chances that something will happen are minimal. But for me personally. in summer time I'm not going to sit with short sleeves on a terras with a rolex on. Even if the chances are minimal, why would you take them. It's like sitting on a terras and put 10k money bills on the table and then be surprised that you got robbed.

7. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 15, 2022

Amsterdam is definitely not safe anymore to wear an expensive watch...

8. Chachi Sep 15, 2022

Nice collection there, and the IWC and Omega are still great watches to wear on a daily basis!

airansun likes this.
  9. Walrus Sep 15, 2022

You got me thinking of the bund in Shanghai at the water front where you can look out over the water and see the pearl of the orient. It’s a notorious theft area for wallets, rings, watches etc but no strong arm or weapons one moment you have them the next they are gone. The thief’s there are subtle and highly skilled I saw a tourist get picked (after the fact I was just in the area when they realized they were picked) they probably like to target westerners but the native Chinese I was with secured their belongings.

10. Twocats Married... with children Sep 16, 2022

+1

Mark020 and Shabbaz like this.
  11. blubarb Sep 16, 2022

Yup. I hear about it everyday but I don't see it everyday...in fact never. I live downunder where the average crook is less threatening than your average suburban croc. :D It is well known that the Aussie croc will gnaw at your arm to get at that vintage Rolex..especially if it spots an exotic leather strap. In general, our crooks prefer not to gnaw at a victim's wrist without appropriate and adequate notice as required under law, unless they are in the small (but growing) group that identify as cis s/he croc crooks.

watchyouwant likes this.
  12. gbesq Sep 16, 2022

I would think that being a thief in the US is a dangerous business since the vast majority of potential victims own guns and many states permit concealed carry so you never know who is armed and who isn’t. I don’t own or carry a gun, but I sure know a lot of people who do. It’s gotten beyond crazy when you see signs stating “No Firearms Or Weapons Permitted On This Property” posted on entrances to shopping malls, movie theaters, restaurants, etc. and people wonder why the US has the highest rate of gun violence among “civilized” nations. There’s nothing very civilized about it. I have no problem with gun ownership for hunting, but beyond that I just don’t know. Not a political rant and not looking to start a flame war. Simply my observation that being a thief in the US could easily get you more than you bargained for.

Edited Sep 16, 2022
    crl848, Mark020, watchyouwant and 4 others like this.
  13. pdxleaf ... Sep 16, 2022

Drivers are more dangerous than thieves (armed road rage)

savka and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. gbesq Sep 16, 2022

That too!

15. JwRosenthal Sep 16, 2022

I also remember (as mentioned before) the armed road rage craze in Los Angeles back in the early 90’s- you really thought twice before merging in front of someone on the freeway. And carry wasn’t even legal there!

cineaste likes this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 16, 2022

Almost got mugged in a shoe shine scam walking back to my hotel late afternoon. Not a safe place despite appearances. Cost me 20 RMB to get the crowd of miscreants off my back.

Walrus likes this.
  17. stonestone Sep 16, 2022

18. Omegafanman Sep 17, 2022

I saw this story in the news today. The gangs haul included a £70k watch.

Police in Marseille are attempting to track down more than 100 first-class train passengers from around the world who had their luggage or wallets stolen by a gang whose leader would disguise himself in wigs.When a woman leaving a high-speed train at Aix-en-Provence station earlier this year reported to police that her bag containing €50,000 of jewellery had disappeared during the journey, station CCTV footage led to a months-long investigation. Police discovered what they called an experienced operation by three thieves regularly targeting first-class carriages on high-speed trains.“They were perfectly organised,” the local police chief, David Brugère, told a press conference in Marseille.

The last big watch purchase I made was in Leeds. I took a roundabout route to the station so I knew I was not followed. I travelled cattle class and the watch was in a supermarket bag. If you flaunt wealth and are ostentatious at the wrong times you may well attract criminal attention - especially these days. If the item is a high enough value they will even plan and travel to obtain it. That has always been the case to some degree and changes with economic pressure and police levels. We did have a Rolex theft near us recently A guy was mugged by three men when getting out of his car to go to a restaurant. I suspect he was a regular there and was spotted with the watch. Having made a booking, people knew his movements in advance. I think a UK comedian was targeted on a school run a few years back - again the time and place was predictable in advance and from TV appearances people knew what he had.
    With planning, good awareness and some common sense you can still enjoy your watches. Pre lockdown I walked across cites such as Amsterdam, Berlin, Dublin and London in the early hours many times - usually the worse for wear and with a DSOTM. If it I had been in short sleeves and wearing a gold Rolex that may have attracted some trouble.

19. Turpinr Sep 17, 2022

I made 2 purchases from D M Robinson in Manchester and on both occasions after being plied with Veuve Clicquot my missus and I left with watches in supermarket carrier bags.
    I bought one in Lancaster which is a totally different kettle of fish as far as cities go and even managed to park nearby.
    I try and avoid cities though usually

Omegafanman likes this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 17, 2022

Doors of our office had the guns sign go on when the open carry madness began.. I was hosting a global meeting and my wonderfully acerbic German colleague just locked eyes with me and gave me one of her classic “really?” looks. I think of her every time I see the decal.