Forums Latest Members

With increased local armed robberies, I’m no longer wearing Rolexes

1. Omegafanman Oct 15, 2022

Visiting Bristol UK today (not in the best area). But I was born there. It improved after I left.
    Bumped into this guy in the fish and chip shop and had a nice watch chat…. Tough lot in Bristol ;0)

906C894A-1B35-480A-946A-949F1252932A.jpeg
    Duracuir1, pdxleaf, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  2. rob#1 Oct 16, 2022

I wore my Speedy all through Europe a few years ago with no worries, but this time around I might wear one of my old vintage watches instead :unsure:

3. Omegafanman Oct 16, 2022

I think it is prudent to be cautious when you are not familiar with places (depending on your itinerary) - especially cities. Airports can be a bit of a magnet for crime as well.

4. joeshoup Oct 16, 2022

I lived in Hartford for a bit in the 2000s. Made some great friends. People were stealing houseplants off the porches in my y neighborhood though. Good thing I was broke then and had nothing to steal :cool:

Walrus and Mark020 like this.
  5. rob#1 Oct 16, 2022

Yep, true enough - though I’m very familiar with most places I’m going (lived in Soho for a few years). It just appears that it’s more risky at the moment, unless the media have just been more interested recently...

6. Danwales Oct 28, 2022

Screenshot_20221028-222253_Chrome.jpg New campaign by the Met in London. This is being driven around the city.

Turpinr, joeshoup and M'Bob like this.
  7. Danwales Oct 28, 2022

Amendment: Campaign is actually orchestrated an auction house. Data used from the Met.

8. Omegafanman Mar 5, 2023

Sorry to wake up a negative note on a Sunday but I thought this was a sad story and a reminder to be vigilant in these tough times.
    Two honeytrap killers who seduced and drugged a man who posed on Instagram with fake Rolex watches before calling two men to kill him have been jailed. It was revealed in court that the Rolex watches were in fact fake and that there were no expensive items in Murray’s flat.

Moment dad lets in honeytrap killers before he's stabbed to death over fake Rolex - Mirror Online

Twocats, M'Bob and Turpinr like this.
  9. johnireland Mar 5, 2023

So everybody was fake in this story...the victim with his fake Rolexes, impresses killers posing as hookers. And everybody loses. The only time I take off my gold Rolexes is to put on my gold Jaeger LeCoultre. Have no fear, life is too short. Obviously be situationally aware...but don't let fear make you a victim so that you don't enjoy your life.

UWG, blubarb, tamura and 8 others like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 5, 2023

Had he not already reproduced, a Darwin Award candidate for sure.

Turpinr, Mark020, Duracuir1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Danwales Mar 5, 2023

I live there and thankfully reports of watch theft are indeed rare, though a dealer (Bolder timepieces) did report a theft of a very old Rolex recently. They didn't specify the nature of the theft though and whether it was from a premises or on the street.

Omegafanman likes this.
  12. chronolux Mar 5, 2023

I visit right before the pandemic in 2019 and I saw some many homeless people. There are homeless individuals in my city but not to the same extent as the Bay area. I can only imagine what it's like now.

How are the local leadership addressing the issue?

13. Omegafanman Mar 16, 2023

14. DrmexicoII Mar 16, 2023

This is horrific. 50 years old and attacked with a hammer. I must admit, if I had a Rolex (I don't, I'm on a mythical waitlist at an AD but not expecting a call ever) I'd happily wear it locally but wouldn't wear it in a city. London, Birmingham... doesn't matter. Really is getting ridiculous now.

15. rob#1 Mar 16, 2023

watchyouwant and DrmexicoII like this.
  16. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 16, 2023

rob#1, watchyouwant and Twocats like this.
  17. gbesq Mar 16, 2023

For a watch. If you want evidence of the breakdown of Western civilization and civilized society in general, here it is. The sheer premeditated brutality of this attack reminds me of that lovely young college student who was stabbed to death in NYC's Central Park for her cell phone - by a 14 year old, if I remember correctly. Some people would call the scum that commit these crimes animals, but no animal would behave this way. These are sociopaths who need to be imprisoned for the rest of their lives with no possibility of parole. I, for one, do not believe that anyone who commits a crime like this is either capable of - or worthy of - redemption.

mydeafcat, JPE.88305, Turpinr and 8 others like this.
  18. Danwales Mar 16, 2023

Turpinr likes this.
  19. DrmexicoII Mar 16, 2023

20. pdxleaf ... Mar 16, 2023

Note that thieves were after cash, jewelry, watches, etc. Not just targeting watches.

A recent arrest here of two young adults who preyed on people who stopped to help (what appeared to be) two young people with car trouble. No watches were involved but other items were stolen.

Thieves have been around as long as people. Probably more people walking around today with bits and bobs worth more than some people's annual salary.

It is frightening to think of being attacked by a hammer. But this may not be a sign of the end times. Perhaps a better example might be lobbyists and PACs.

8100_RPM, DrmexicoII, Twocats and 2 others like this.