Forums Latest Members

With increased local armed robberies, I’m no longer wearing Rolexes

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 23, 2022

I'll eat Chinese prepared by professional chefs and I'll eat Chinese take out prepared by ...

Love Asian foods!

Oh face it! I just love food!

2. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2022

I did a project in Hot Springs SD in November- off season for that little town. All of the tourist spots and cafe’s were closed. The only places to eat were the Subway sandwiches attached to the gas station, a burger/wing bar food joint and a little Chinese restaurant on the edge of town. My first night I opted to try the Chinese place and of course when I walked in it was the usual gloppy buffet of various shades of brown and orange with a smattering of happy Caucasians chowing down on orange chicken and friend rice.
    The menu was more of the same. When the waitress came over (turned out she was the owner) she asked if I wanted buffet. I told her I am not from there, and I wanted real Chinese food- I said “I want what you eat”. She asked - you want real Chinese food? I said yup. She immediately said “ you want hot pot”.
    Ten minutes later she brought me a large clay bowl with noodles, broth, 3 different kinds of meat and fish, green onions, mushrooms and a few other things I couldn’t identify- it was fabulous! I ate there for the rest of my trip, every night, and she brought me something different and delicious every time.
    Sometimes you just have to let people know you are interested and they will open a new world to you.

watchyouwant, Dsloan, Eve and 9 others like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 23, 2022

Do the same in Bali, eat just outside of town where the staff eat in a run down shed with a cooking pot and grill.
    Last time there we (well I did) wanted extra chicken after our first meal. Heard poor old Roger the rooster getting his call to action. Paid them for the meal and asked how much for a chicken and tipped them that amount…
    Ate there a few times an ate like king for next to nothing compared to paying similar prices to back home in a flash restaurant with western style Balinese.
    Half a chicken and a plate of Nasi goring…….:thumbsup::thumbsup:

watchyouwant, NGO1, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  4. ghce Sep 24, 2022

Living a lot in China and owning an apartment there with my wife's Chinese family I get real Chinese meals till I am stuffed full.
    Always have to laugh when I see people in the west eating " Chinese" meals.
    Though luckily here in my home city in NZ we are blessed with many real Chinese restaurants to feed the local ethnic Chinese.
    Hot Pot is a favourite of North East China with a minimum of at least 3 different meats and 5 or more different mushrooms, also in my Chinese city there is a high proportion of Koreans so you tend to find dog on the menu often as not and a fusion of Chinese and Korean styles and a smattering of Japanese meals as the Murkden incident has left its mark on the city.

noelekal, NGO1, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  5. M'Bob Sep 24, 2022

Speaking of Chinese restaurants, and the similarity at various locations, I heard a conspiracy theory that in New York in the 1960’s, there was a huge, underground Chinese kitchen that funneled all the food up to the various restaurants on the street.

noelekal and ghce like this.
  6. Walrus Sep 24, 2022

I’ve spent enough time in China to know American Chinese food isn’t true Chinese other than a few speciality restaurants or in “Chinatown” areas. I use the word chef only because I see the speed and skill they work the kitchen not that they have formal training.

noelekal, ghce and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. YY77 Sep 24, 2022

My parents had a Chinese restaurant long ago, mother in the kitchen (no formal training), father out front. She taught me how to use a wok and cook the most delicious food easy and quick, never had foe yong hai or other western style Asian dishes and never will.

noelekal, NGO1, ghce and 1 other person like this.
  8. RI Omega Fan Sep 24, 2022

I couldn’t agree more!

janice&fred likes this.
  9. janice&fred Sep 27, 2022

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 27, 2022

That film has been cleaned up and released again in full length. The wife and I watched it this year. It’s still a classic and painfully funny. What a cast!

janice&fred and noelekal like this.
  11. Omegafanman Sep 28, 2022

No one is safe .......

upload_2022-9-28_16-40-22.png

12. gbesq Sep 28, 2022

Very sad. I probably wouldn’t be walking anywhere in Bayonne with any watch. The theft is bad enough, but to seriously injure the victim in the process is just deplorable.

13. MTROIS Sep 28, 2022

Bernie again!?!??!? :eek:

Uh, no wait, this is a TAG… Nevermind!! :whistling:
    F233013F-3E17-4F44-BE6A-A611294F0C23.jpeg

Omegafanman likes this.
  14. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 29, 2022

Currently on a layover at the Sheraton New York Times Square…and I’m believing that my glowing orange ear will be a handy deterrent regarding anyone wanting to mess with me as I go on a quest to find the almighty Dunkin’…

E050A8A5-B3F5-4F86-A200-E78F5CC70F95.jpeg

15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 29, 2022

Glowing Orange Ear scares me!!!

Mad Dog likes this.
  16. gbesq Sep 29, 2022

Never mess with a man amped up on Dunkin’
    [​IMG]

17. bananapeanut Sep 30, 2022

Any shiny nice watch regardless of brand can be a target. There are just more Rolexes out there than any other brands and they are more news worthy I suppose but if your Rolex is not safe on your wrist, chances are your Speedy isn't either.

Edited Sep 30, 2022
    noelekal likes this.
  18. Pvt-Public Oct 1, 2022

Lots of big shiny Invictas out there, never hear about them being stolen. Maybe they’re just not reported because the owner really wants them gone.

19. perks713 Oct 1, 2022

No one would ever think to mess with a man that’s wearing not one but TWO Speedmasters.

Edited Oct 2, 2022
    Mad Dog likes this.
  20. spacemission Oct 7, 2022

Hey Mad, nice watch :thumbsup: US Navy forever ;)

Mad Dog likes this.