Forums Latest Members

Wishful Thinking - Watches that have unrealistic price expectations

1. JohnSteed Apr 23, 2016

Goooood whiskey in Guyana :D

2. Pvt-Public Apr 24, 2016

Good Something. :eek:

3. Bob H Apr 25, 2016

4. ConElPueblo Apr 25, 2016

That is pretty optimistic... He must believe it's a Speedmaster :)

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 25, 2016

Case back says it all a super rare SEEMASTER

image.jpeg

watch3s and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 25, 2016

I see, Master.

OMGRLX likes this.
  7. Bob H Apr 25, 2016

I thought so, but with older watches, you never know. For example, I recently learned that the quartz version of the Rolex datejust is highly sought after. http://oysterquartz.net/
    They go for nearly the same dollars as the automatics!

8. edebon Apr 28, 2016

I've been following this thread and thought I could add a different point of view. I sell on eBay as my primary source of income and all of my listings are priced higher than retail with a buy it now and make an offer option. I mostly sell by accepting offers, but occasionally you get the one guy who just really wants something and pays an exorbitant amount for it. I'm not sure many of these are "wishful thinking" but the individual sellers marketing strategies. If you're looking to buy, you can make offers that are well under the asking price and I'm sure they will be considered if not immediately accepted. Just my two cents.

Pogo83 and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  9. Bob H Apr 28, 2016

Thanks edebon for your perspective - I've often wondered about that. When I sell, I use Buy it Now with an offer option as well, and have never done an auction. Is there an advantage to using an auction beyond the possibility of getting more than you thought? I most often buy via BIN or Offer as I don't like being pushed above my price threshold when I get too excited about winning.
    What do you mostly sell?

10. edebon Apr 28, 2016

Hey Bob, thanks for your question. I sell high end vintage audio equipment and the main advantage to the auction is moving items quickly. If I have something that's been sitting on the shelf longer than I anticipated I'll do a 7 or 10 day dollar auction (auctions starting at 1 dollar) with no reserve just to get rid of it. I've seldom had an auction go higher than asking price, as if someone was willing to pay the retail cost they would have just bought it in the first place. Every once in a while I get in a very rare unit in perfect condition that I know people will bid on and I'll give it a shot with an auction and it usually ends up right around what I was looking to get. Long story short, if you have an item with more than 30 watchers and you're feeling lucky, give the auction a try, if not, let buyers make offers. That's in my experience at least, I'm sure others will have differences in opinion.

ahsposo and mactab like this.
  11. Bob H Apr 28, 2016

Thanks for the answer. I'm still learning how to best word/structure the ad to get best exposure/watchers/eventual sales. I just do it to clear stuff I don't want to advertise on craigslist, specific forums/etc.. For example, I have an older cable driven tach drive for hot rods/etc.. Hard to get views up like my other listings. I've looked at ones that seem to populate all my searches, modified the description/title, etc.. Just likely a very nitch market, so it won't show up that often.
    I'm sure there are plenty like me and that is why we see such varied "deals" on craigslist, ebay, etc.. and end up posting them here. Some take your approach, others have no idea, or a grossly inflated idea. But as always, it is worth what someone will pay. I might not think the one I posted in this thread is worth $7k, (older omega chrono), but someone may and the seller gets a great deal. Otherwise, like you, they accept something less that is still acceptable.
    There is of course the other end of the spectrum - those of us who don't know what its worth and under price it, it moves quickly and someone gets a steal - those are the ones I like!

12. froezenite May 2, 2016

13. WatchVaultNYC May 2, 2016

TL;DR. Lots of reasons why watches may seem overpriced to the prospective buyer. This includes:

- willing to accept lower, but priced initially higher leaving room for negotiation, like @edebon
    - seller bought high, did not want to lose money
    - seller does not really want to sell, high asking is a "convince me" price
    - supply is very low, so pricing remaining items higher to pace sales and maximize revenue
    - price is competitive with whats currently being offered by other sellers (vs what has sold)
    - seller has no idea
    - seller believes buyers have no idea

To sum up, I don't think analyzing the motive of why things are sold at the price they are is a fruitful activity, because there are so many reasons. Just make an offer and move on.

Edward53 and OMGRLX like this.
  14. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF May 3, 2016

15. abrod520 May 3, 2016

In that example, it looks like the top bidder has set himself a pretty high bid, but is being shilled by the 0-feedback bidder?

OMGRLX likes this.
  16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF May 3, 2016

Something like that...

17. ConElPueblo May 4, 2016

Unless the seller accepts MUCH lower offers on this, the price quoted is *quite* optimistic...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sea...707481?hash=item4d43aa2b59:g:50sAAOSwrXdXKb3YPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Overpolished watch with ugly movement, but tarted up with an unoriginal, cheap-looking box and an Omega strap + buckle. I'll be very surprised if either buckle or strap turns out to be the real deal and I don't hold much faith with the "serviced" claim.

As a side-note, may I take this opportunity to mention my dislike of the often seen"Rolex trained/Rolex technician" claim that often get bandied around in watch listings? Nothing, NOTHING sets off my bull-shit alarm as fast as reading that does. Give me a receipt or shut up.

18. Kwijibo May 4, 2016

that is funny!
    edit : "If Purchase and then Buyer wants to cancel the transaction a fee of 1,000.00 US Dollar will be Charge for cancellation" that is funny too. the guy makes a living on cancelation fees

OMGRLX likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 4, 2016

Its almost tempting to buy and cancel just to see the $1k invoice

20. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 4, 2016