Forums Latest Members

Who's started watch repair?

1. markie916 May 26, 2020

Hi all. Has anyone been tempted into watch repairing? I have, I'm waiting for parts to arrive now for an 1897 pocket watch that I bought broken. Its really enjoyable and I think I'll do more when this one is done. What are other peoples experiences in starting off watch repairing?

2. alam May 26, 2020

My temptation stops at the skill level required to change straps :p even my 30+ year old Seiko quartz goes to an authorized repair center for a battery replacement :rolleyes: I enjoy doing basic repairs around the house, on my cars, but I just don't have the extra time to dedicate at the learning and patience that seems to be essential in repairing watches....plus, watchmakers need to put food at their table too :D

3. TexOmega May 26, 2020

No he hasn't, Who's on first.

::rimshot::

kkt likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 26, 2020

+1. Not remotely tempted. I learn a ton from our watchmakers here to make me a better service consumer. I change straps, pop open a case once in a blue moon. That’s it.

Als 27, Spruce, alam and 2 others like this.
  5. NikolShep May 26, 2020

This is all amazing, but don't you think it is too early to say that you'll do it again, even before you finish fixing and see the final result. I wish you best of luck in that, but, as they say...do not count your chicken before they hatch? Anyways, best of luck and please share before and after pictures :)

cassius66 likes this.
  6. BatDad May 26, 2020

Watch repair sounds extremely scary - expanding your skill set and learning what works and what doesn’t on a throw away movement and/or spare parts.... Then I’m more with you there.

I find it a welcome distraction, but not without its frustrations, but it’s very rewarding when something starts to come together.

cassius66, markie916 and wsfarrell like this.
  7. JwRosenthal May 26, 2020

A good friend of mine started with tinkering, project watches and dials and hands and basic swapping of stuff (although he was already skilled at mechanical work like cars and such). Several years later he can do a full CLA and replace parts in many different movements. Would I call him a watchmaker, no (nor would he call himself that in a million years), and he can’t go further than a certain point when he gets in a jam and fully admits that. But he loves the zen of working on watches for fun (not a living) and does some amazing work....for his own pleasure- and mine.
    Like any tinkering hobby- have fun with it until it isn’t fun, and make sure you don’t get overly ambitious with something of great value...and have a watchmaker on deck to bail you out if you get in over your head.

8. ExpiredWatchdog May 26, 2020

Many have done it including myself. Between OF and WUS, I'd say the lion's share of posters who work on watches are amateurs.

Some advice: Prepare to spend a TON of money. Professional watch tools make professional car tools seem like toys, pricewise (or at least they are comparable and you get a lot more heft from a car torque wrench). You don't have to buy everything at once, but you can't do much without spending around $500. Oh, and don't buy ebay crap, you'll just wind up having to buy decent tools once you realize the stuff is crap. Reliable sources are Esslinger, OFrei, Jewelerssupplies, CousinsUK. Price is usually a good indicator of quality.

Buy old pocket watches or cheap chinese knock-off movements to start, that way you won't care too much when a spring flies off into the ether. Those can be found on ebay. The Seagull ST36 is a good starter and can be had for $45.

One thought on trying it without buying all the tools first is that AWCI runs classes around the country where you use their tools to build your own watch from parts. I'm sure its shut down for now and it's not cheap, but you get to keep the watch.

Good luck, it's quite a challenge but rewarding.

Edited May 27, 2020
  9. redpcar May 26, 2020

I think the best way to start is with the abundant movements from the '60s. The AS1187, for instance. Pretty well made and lots of spares.

10. JwRosenthal May 26, 2020

Also, a lot of the Benrus’ from the 60’s use ETA’s (you just have to cross reference the movement number that’s on the rotor), like the AS movements, abundant....and they are base ETA calibers for which parts can be used in some higher end watches of the time.

11. pascs May 26, 2020

Several years ago I started working on some cheap Seiko watches to get them to run, then began modifying various bits, then buying more tools, started stripping down the movement, cleaning, oiling, rebuilding, then buying more tools, slowly getting to understand a bit more about how the movements work etc...... and buying more tools :D
    The more you get into it the more expensive it becomes, as the tools you really need to do more exact work become more expensive.
    I've "serviced" plenty of Seikos and quite a few Omega watches of my own which for the most part has been enjoyable but it can be so easy to get things wrong and especially with Omega very expensive to fix.
    It has become an expensive hobby but I enjoy the stripping down of a movement and then putting it all back together serviced. I'm just an amateur but really enjoy just tinkering around with watches

cassius66, DManzaluni, BatDad and 2 others like this.
  12. wsfarrell May 26, 2020

Indeed. I've been tinkering for several years, and finally achieved a milestone: I adjusted a Rolex 1680 using the micro-stella tool. Routine for a professional watchmaker, but exciting for me.

cassius66, DManzaluni, BatDad and 2 others like this.
  13. markie916 May 27, 2020

Yup, its common sense really, some people dont appear to have much of that. I won't be stripping a daytona any time soon. My first foray is on a broken pocket watch so no real issue here. Have you seen any of the you tube videos on watchmakers? Roger Smith is a watchmaker for sure.

cassius66 likes this.
  14. markie916 May 27, 2020

Great good for you.

15. markie916 May 27, 2020

Brilliant !! and good for you for expanding your skill set., innocent fun with your own money. I've spent thousands on tools within my trade so a few more if needed isn't an issue but I won't go wasting it on pro stuff straight away. A few basics to do the job and then build up as required.

BatDad likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2020

Some people do fine, and some are not cut out for this kind of work. It requires a lot of patience, and it's a steep learning curve when it comes to working on smaller items.

As much as people have given you suggestions for movements to start with, I would personally recommend starting with an ETA 6497 or a Chinese copy of one. There's a reason that watchmaking schools use this movement - it's large, parts are readily available, and unlike some vintage pocket watch it is modern in it's construction and has a more traditional movement design if your eventual goal is to service Swiss watches.

Just realize that when you have managed to get a watch ticking and running well, properly lubricated, you have only barely scratched the surface of what watch servicing and repair is all about.

If you want some reading, try these threads:

DManzaluni, NVWC, OMTOM and 3 others like this.
  17. markie916 May 27, 2020

Thanks. I have no real goal at the moment other than to have fun and enjoy myself. I just created a post asking if anyone had moved from looking at the outside of watches to looking at the inside.

Regrading the ETA, they appear more expensive than I want to spend at this moment. Do you know if there is a chinese exact copy? I've found replacements for the ETA but i'd like to follow your suggestion.

Thanks

cassius66 likes this.
  18. Canuck May 27, 2020

Just realize that when you have managed to get a watch ticking and running well, properly lubricated, you have only barely scratched the surface of what watch servicing and repair is all about.

Ever so true. Beyond dismantling and reassembling a watch successfully which can be learned quickly if you have the mechanical savvy, good judgement, patience, and desire, troubleshooting every problem watches can have takes decades.

I was talking to a friend recently, about a watch he had serviced. It had belonged to his late father, and had been un-used since the early 1980s. While his father was still alive, the watch developed a problem, so the father took the watch to a “watchmaker” in Vancouver, B C for repair. This dupe told the owner the watch was unrepairable. Fast forward to a few months ago, and the watch resurfaced. My friend has some experience in repairing watches. Successfully I might add, even though he has only done a few watches. This watch is a Felsa 690. First thing he notices is the hairspring is trashed. He picks up a donor movement, and proceeds to dismantle the subject watch. He knows enough about mechanical watches that he realizes the sliding lever (shipper bar), the shipper spring, and the setting pinion are missing! He cannibalizes the donor movement for what he needs, and services the Felsa 690, successfully. It runs reasonably well, but he wants it to run better. So he phones me for ideas of what to look for, so he can adjust it to run better.

This goes to show that dismantling and re-assembling a watch, is not watchmaking! The watch isn’t repaired until it is all repaired.

DManzaluni and BatDad like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2020

Yes, as I said there are Chinese copies of these movements. They shouldn't be hard to find.

20. ExpiredWatchdog May 27, 2020

The watch above is a Chinese knock-off of the ETA 6497. Exact, very unlikely but close enough that you get the idea. Buy three and you won't panic when you destroy something.

BatDad likes this.